Jerami Grant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant

I guess I missed him or just don't remember. Thank God we have players like G, TC, and TR keeping the program going so an occasional elite player can benefit from all their hard work.
I know you don't like it when these kids leave early, but they're just trying to do what's best for themselves and not get swallowed up by the system in place. It's easy to look back in hindsight and mock some of these decisions, especially when it's not your own earning power at issue.

I know you don't like it when these kids leave early, but they're just trying to do what's best for themselves and not get swallowed up by the system in place. It's easy to look back in hindsight and mock some of these decisions, especially when it's not your own earning power at issue.

You can always make money. College PT only comes once in a lifetime.

You can always make money. College PT only comes once in a lifetime.
But perhaps not that kind of money. And the window of opportunity to do so can close pretty quickly for a number of reasons.

But perhaps not that kind of money. And the window of opportunity to do so can close pretty quickly for a number of reasons.

It just seems to me no matter how much money you make it's never enough. But CBB experiences are priceless.

It just seems to me no matter how much money you make it's never enough. But CBB experiences are priceless.
You are right about all of that. But other factors impact these decisions, as we both know.

I guess I missed him or just don't remember. Thank God we have players like G, TC, and TR keeping the program going so an occasional elite player can benefit from all their hard work.

I know you don't like when they leave Dave, but there's no need to be bitter. I think I feel similarly to br. As a Syracuse fan first and foremost, I'd love if they stayed. But many of these guys grew up in dramatically different circumstances than I did. Even in my situation where I didn't necessarily need money right away and as someone who loved my 4 years of college, if there was a chance for that kind of money, I'm not sure I could turn it down that easily.

I may not think some of them are the wisest decisions and I probably don't have quite the emotional attachment to guys that only stay for one or two years. But as long as they represent the program well on and off the court and do what they need to do for the APR, then I hope it works out for the best for them.

I know you don't like when they leave Dave, but there's no need to be bitter. I think I feel similarly to br. As a Syracuse fan first and foremost, I'd love if they stayed. But many of these guys grew up in dramatically different circumstances than I did. Even in my situation where I didn't necessarily need money right away and as someone who loved my 4 years of college, if there was a chance for that kind of money, I'm not sure I could turn it down that easily.

I may not think some of them are the wisest decisions and I probably don't have quite the emotional attachment to guys that only stay for one or two years. But as long as they represent the program well on and off the court and do what they need to do for the APR, then I hope it works out for the best for them.

My sincere hope is G gets drafted in the second round. And I hope TC gets to play overseas.

I don't think there has been one kid to come here and say his dream is to play college and in the Dome over playing in the NBA.

College basketball wouldn't exist if the kids all had a choice between the NBA or CBB.

Making non-guaranteed money for a year and a half followed by scraping together seasons overseas is a career that typically doesn't pan out.

Ya, ya, ya, we don't understand their situation. The real problem is they don't understand their situation and how to put themselves in the best position for the rest of their lives as opposed to their early 20's. When 92% of them flame out and can't support themselves, now they have no alternative.

An NBA Prospect will continue to be an NBA Prospect the same in year 1 as year 3 or 4. Their stock may diminish somewhat, but, it may also increase substantially.

I deal with collegiate athletes, their perspective on reality is that of a young person. A lot of times they receive little to no guidance and even less good advice. Ask the 1000's of early entry flameouts what their earning window is when basketball doesn't pan out. I'd imagine the story is quite sobering.

Yes, he was the second coming of Donte Greene.

tumblr_nk92vw12oA1sg99p0o1_1280.png

I went to college after spending four years in the Air Force. All I cared about was getting my degree and getting out so that I could start earning. I had zero financial support from my parents. Everything was paid for by the GI Bill, loans, my part time job, or a scholarship (in roughly that order). I finished my BS in 3.5 years and I could have done it faster if I didn't have to essentially relearn HS math (if you don't use it, you lose it, kids). I turned down free graduate school, because it would delay my earning and it wouldn't have appreciably increased my earning potential.

If after two years, someone had offered me a job with a earning floor of essentially a million dollar signing bonus and 10 years of $50k salaries, I would have left school in a heartbeat.

Making non-guaranteed money for a year and a half followed by scraping together seasons overseas is a career that typically doesn't pan out.

Ya, ya, ya, we don't understand their situation. The real problem is they don't understand their situation and how to put themselves in the best position for the rest of their lives as opposed to their early 20's. When 92% of them flame out and can't support themselves, now they have no alternative.

An NBA Prospect will continue to be an NBA Prospect the same in year 1 as year 3 or 4. Their stock may diminish somewhat, but, it may also increase substantially.

I deal with collegiate athletes, their perspective on reality is that of a young person. A lot of times they receive little to no guidance and even less good advice. Ask the 1000's of early entry flameouts what their earning window is when basketball doesn't pan out. I'd imagine the story is quite sobering.
The problem is though, 92% have always flamed out.

I think a lot of players today are actually making the best possible decision they could make if they leave early.

The problem is though, 92% have always flamed out.

I think a lot of players today are actually making the best possible decision they could make if they leave early.
But if 84% of those flame-outs had degrees, they'd have a much better chance of supporting themselves post basketball.

I wholeheartedly disagree with leaving early being their best possible decision, it's just not accurate for the vast majority. I can respect the other side of the argument, and the small percentile that it does work out for. But when your batting average is less than .100, you're not doing it right.

I admit I get extremely bitter when a player leaves earlier than he really should.

But I don't blame the player - I blame the system.

Pay the players and stop NBA executives from thinking Player A is better than Player B simply because Player A is younger.

orangenirvana said:
I admit I get extremely bitter when a player leaves earlier than he really should. But I don't blame the player - I blame the system. Pay the players and stop NBA executives from thinking Player A is better than Player B simply because Player A is younger.

And I'm on the other side of the same coin. Let players enter the draft if they're 18. Let them sign with an agent. If they're good enough they'll get a contract. If they don't get drafted, let them dump the agent and be a part of the next recruiting cycle.

Paying college players opens up a can of worms. And they would have to figure out how to change Title IX requirements or it's never gonna happen regardless.

And I'm on the other side of the same coin. Let players enter the draft if they're 18. Let them sign with an agent. If they're good enough they'll get a contract. If they don't get drafted, let them dump the agent and be a part of the next recruiting cycle.

Paying college players opens up a can of worms. And they would have to figure out how to change Title IX requirements or it's never gonna happen regardless.
That's why you don't have colleges pay the players - you simply remove the restrictions on student athletes such that they're able to profit from their own name and likeness. That solves your title IX problem right there.

But if 84% of those flame-outs had degrees, they'd have a much better chance of supporting themselves post basketball.

I wholeheartedly disagree with leaving early being their best possible decision, it's just not accurate for the vast majority. I can respect the other side of the argument, and the small percentile that it does work out for. But when your batting average is less than .100, you're not doing it right.
I don't think the numbers support your idea of "the vast majority."

That's why you don't have colleges pay the players - you simply remove the restrictions on student athletes such that they're able to profit from their own name and likeness. That solves your title IX problem right there.

I've been saying this for like 5 years now.

It always gets responses like "WELL, T Boone Pickens/Phil Knight.etc will pay million dollars for an autograph and everyone will go to Oklahoma State/Oregon.etc"

..and my response is...Yeah? So what. How is that the players problem?

This simply is factually untrue.

True but ours seem to leave stupid early. I've always wondered if it has to do with that old adage that playing lots of zone defense in college cripples you defensively at the pro level?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom