Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soo FWIW, a little bit of more info but its pretty much been laid out here in the thread by others.
At the end of the season/beginning of our offseason, it seemed to be believed he was gone (def not transfer portal but professionally to Europe). His position coach told my source directly this. Apparently, in the last week, there was some optimism he would return but this transfer portal caught the coaches by surprise. The family really does believe he will get more from another university. The school and our NIL partners really did try and he wanted to be here but $ might talk.

We will get a portal big
Cisse or HD

So our supposed boosters didn’t have the necessary NIL funds? Or we wouldn’t help bend the NIL international player rules to get him paid? I’m still confused about what the issue is here and why he could get NIL elsewhere but not at Cuse.

At this point, it really doesn't matter. Whether it was "Column A" or "Column B", we wouldn't or couldn't do it. We're done as a program. This is a huge hit, and whoever Red can come up with isn't going to be remotely close to what Jesse could have done for us next year. This is a very sad day.

Nah, I think he means programs find ways to push the NIL initiatives and Syracuse is extremely conservative and resource constrained.

Basically they don’t have the connections or resources (or willingness) to set up a European NIL deal for Jesse, so he’s going to a school that is able to do it.

I kind of call BS on this notion. We've got half the national media who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We brag about all the great business leaders who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We've got guys playing in the NFL and the NBA, and none of them will write a big check? I mean, come on. This is over.

If we can’t keep Jesse we aren’t getting those guys.
maybe, but I was also under the impression that Jesse had one foot out the door at the end of last season, too.

If we can’t keep Jesse we aren’t getting those guys.

Unless it is a lesser P6 program that was willing to throw all the eggs they have into finding an international NIL deal for one player.

Call it a sliver of hope .. dim but existent. Gotta have a rapid and strong response to this. It's Day 0.. if we get to day 5 and it's crickets... welp..

Impossible. He's been correct about everything he has posted.

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by The Ringer

What’s the difference between legal and illegal NIL?

Do you think it really matters at this point?
As someone else said in this thread, the NCAA didn't create NIL, and they didn't even have rules for it at first, and then they changed the rules about a year later.
This was forced upon them by the courts, and they are never going to come down hard on supposed "illegal" NIL, because they will lose in court.

Before I say this - it is NOT an insinuation.

There is competitive NIL money available. However where its agreed upon to be allocated and in what manner are different discussions.

It’s a shame the Jesse’s entering the portal. I’d be shocked if SU’s “completely out of it” at this point though.

People need to step back from the ledge and wait and see how everything plays out here. So far technically the only guy who is not coming back is Joe. Let's see what happens with the puts and takes.

Gross was very personable and very approachable. He had a big vision which I loved and if GROB yes GROB had the QB from Hawaii come here like he wanted it may not have been as bad as people thought. Colt he made some poor choices but he lit it up elsewhere. Really that ruined Gross I felt but Gross did a ton while here
Cantor didn't want him on campus. It went above Robinson and Gross. Gross is the reason the Olympic sports aren't stuck in the dark ages as they were when I was here. He laid the foundation for their success today.

Red better be scrambling to find millions per year in booster NIL money, or else his career is over before it even started.

There is competitive NIL money available. However where its agreed upon to be allocated and in what manner are different discussions.

It’s shame the Jesse’s entering the portal. I’d be shocked if SU’s “completely out of it” at this point though.
If it’s to keep Mintz then I get it, but if we lose him too the criticism of everyone is deserved.

I kind of call BS on this notion. We've got half the national media who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We brag about all the great business leaders who graduated from SU, and none of them will write a big check? We've got guys playing in the NFL and the NBA, and none of them will write a big check? I mean, come on. This is over.
I'm guessing the media grads are more likely to donate to Newhouse, particularly the sports announcers when there might be questions about objectivity if they are donating to athletics. But I could be wrong.

If it’s to keep Mintz then I get it, but if we lose him too the criticism of everyone is deserved.
Haven’t heard anything to change my stance on what Mintz’ approach to the evaluations are or the consensus about his return. So I’m standing by what I said.

Jesse’s certainly a big development that I dont think anybody saw coming. But again havent heard anything new about Judah being “gone”.

It’s a shame the Jesse’s entering the portal. I’d be shocked if SU’s “completely out of it” at this point though.
I guess it is possible that this is a bargaining tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom