Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t heard anything to change my stance on what Mintz’ approach to the evaluations are or the consensus about he return.

Jesse’s certainly a big development that I dont think anybody saw coming. But again havent heard anything new about Judah being “gone”.
That’s the problem TB. Nobody on the hill ever sees anything. It’s always the same story.

This throws a wrench in a few things.

I look forward to the board vacation I’ll receive when the tampering school’s announced and if Jesse chooses to chase the money.

Just like Seton Hall got punished so badly for tampering to recruit our players.

bummed for sure, but life goes on. I honestly have more important things going on than to stress about NIL and Cuse hoops or FB for that matter. I went to monster jam on Saturday with my son which was the first time I’ve been to the dome since 2019. It was fun but I can honestly say I don’t see myself heading up to the dome again for a long time. (For sports) Unfortunately the game has changed and my interest just isn’t the same. I will always love Cuse sports probably more for the nostalgia of growing up in the 80’s and 90’s than anything else. I’m just not sure we will get back to any relevance. We are in a tight spot and I’m not 100% sure the university, chancellor etc are fully vested in having top notch FB or hoops. In the end we will be fine and the program will go on but it will probably be mediocre at best. I hope to god I’m wrong but this situation with Jesse just feels different. This doesn’t feel like a Red issue but an overall administration and commitment issue to NIL. Not saying it’s the wrong approach but if this is truly what college sports has become, then well it sucks

It feels to me that our admin is far too risk averse to play in the modern NCAA. I get being responsible, but many other major Universities seem willing and able to push the envelope well beyond the point where our admin seems to balk.

Fundamentally, here's my ask of the University. Figure out what you want to be. If its a big boy program, you gotta take off the training wheels and play by big boy rules. If its not, if its a competitive but beyond reproach regional program, then you have to recalibrate expectations accordingly. That includes everything from Conference affiliation to ticket prices.

Sorry to sound draconian, but if William Patterson hasn't signed a Letter; we need to pull the offer immediately. This ship can't afford to drag a center anchor of Hima, Carey, and Patterson into next season.
Talk about the worst PR decision possible

Doesn't suck for the players.

Well, one thing I'd say about that is that NIL and the portal make it likely that far fewer players ever receive a degree.

If it's late January 2024 and we're in the top three of the ACC and in the top 25 I bet we won't be reading a lot of posts about how people hate college sports.

Of course, if it was late January and we were a ranked team near the top of the ACC standings, we would have 25,000 people in the Dome instead of 12,000.

You’re saying they’re good with breaking news? That’s laughable.I was in the business for a long time. It’s not their strength.
Donna literally broke this news. You can say Neil did a few hours before. But he had no one on the record, no quotes, no mention of him going to the portal (you had to read between the lines with his own posts on this site), and no context. Donna had the portal news and quotes directly from Jesse’s dad explaining the situation (which to me still has many unanswered questions). That’s basically first hand sourcing and how you do the job correctly at a high profile news source. (She does need to dive deeper in some subsequent follow up articles because there are so many questions that have been raised now.) Neil was good, too. He got the ball rolling but couldn’t get anybody speaking on the record.

That’s the problem TB. Nobody on the hill ever sees anything. It’s always the same story.
The limited info I come into isn’t from the hill really, but yeah I agree with what you’re saying.

NIL’s a good idea but has made being a fan insufferable.

No matter what SU’s always going to be fighting up hill for many reasons.

It feels to me that our admin is far too risk averse to play in the modern NCAA. I get being responsible, but many other major Universities seem willing and able to push the envelope well beyond the point where our admin seems to balk.

Fundamentally, here's my ask of the University. Figure out what you want to be. If its a big boy program, you gotta take off the training wheels and play by big boy rules. If its not, if its a competitive but beyond reproach regional program, then you have to recalibrate expectations accordingly. That includes everything from Conference affiliation to ticket prices.
And once they expose themselves for wanting to lose to Colgate every year, fire every single one of them and find people to run the University who have that Will to Win we've been hearing about.

That’s about to be the only time I tune in. College sports is all but ruined. I’ll just watch pro and tune in to SU when they are good. It’s not worth following our football and basketball teams anymore. We just don’t have the resources to compete on a regular basis anymore.

The NBA and the Premier League have a lot more player continuity to them. Makes it easier to know who is actually on the team - and you know a bunch of the guys playing for the opponent. That disappeared for me a few years ago with NCAA hoops. I don't know any of the other teams' players anymore. I only watch our games, and we've been trending bad for years. It's not like the quality of the NCAA basketball is so great anymore, either.

And once they expose themselves for wanting to lose to Colgate every year, fire every single one of them and find people to run the University who have that Will to Win we've been hearing about.
Will to win and skirting federal rules are two different things... you can find people willing to do that, but it tends not to end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom