Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not about to blame his parents. If our collective made a deal worth X and some other collective came along and said they’d get him 2x, why is that the parents fault? As to the interview, Donna reached out to the father.
So other collectives are allowed to offer players NIL deals when said player is not even in the portal yet. How is it that Jesse's dad knows for sure he can do better on the free agent market that is the portal?

This isn’t true. We raised what was asked and have plenty of willing contributors. There’s only so much you can do if another program reaches out and says they can match and then some. We’ll see what happens.

Thank you.

It’s wild to me, the rumors are that when Straughn was hired he was bringing a big time transfer with him… turns out to be untrue, then rumors of Jesse unexpectedly hitting the portal start, and they are true. I know it’s not the case, but it feels like the news breaks bad for the Orange in every situation, haha
will ferrell anchorman GIF
Sure feels that way.

Can the Dickinson talk stop? We aren’t offering him the most money. Why would he want to come to an ACC bottom feeder? We don’t get any centers drafted. There’s no appeal for him. Not like we can say oh, you’ll start… he’s starting on any team in the country. We should have used our Dickinson plan on Ware from Oregon, before he signed with IU yesterday.

Good businessmen don't sink money into an investment with no return. A sane person does not write a million dollar check just because. They can love basketball as much as they want but they likely dont love it more than money itself.

Are users here writing 10-15K checks and giving them to players? Personally, I dont send out huge chunks of money without knowing that I am getting something tangible in return.
Why don't you think they'd get a return?

And people love to put money towards investments with no return because they can brag to their peers. Why do you think people buy Teslas, or season tickets for the Cowboys?

Having a visible confrontation with a NIL donor on national television is "nothing?"

With Weitsman? I must've missed that one.

So other collectives are allowed to offer players NIL deals when said player is not even in the portal yet. How is it that Jesse's dad knows for sure he can do better on the free agent market that is the portal?
There was a sliver of hope in his quote where he talks about putting Jesse's name out there so he doesn't get left behind when the May 11th deadline hits. (I'm in my denial phase, or is this the bargaining phase?)

There was a sliver of hope in his quote where he talks about putting Jesse's name out there so he doesn't get left behind when the May 11th deadline hits. (I'm in my denial phase, or is this the bargaining phase?)

Hard time seeing that as hope.. we wait and could be left at the alter

Regarding Edwards officially entering the portal, this is the game we're in now. Pay to play has changed the landscape and SU in the crossfire as parents, camps and handlers want a check. The staff needed to move as if he wasn't returning and now they really need to get on it.

A poster mentioned alumni not donating to the university. The ones that do, do it towards causes they care about. I know alumni that refuse to donate to SU and they work in the sports industry or cover SUA in some capacity.

bummed for sure, but life goes on. I honestly have more important things going on than to stress about NIL and Cuse hoops or FB for that matter. I went to monster jam on Saturday with my son which was the first time I’ve been to the dome since 2019. It was fun but I can honestly say I don’t see myself heading up to the dome again for a long time. (For sports) Unfortunately the game has changed and my interest just isn’t the same. I will always love Cuse sports probably more for the nostalgia of growing up in the 80’s and 90’s than anything else. I’m just not sure we will get back to any relevance. We are in a tight spot and I’m not 100% sure the university, chancellor etc are fully vested in having top notch FB or hoops. In the end we will be fine and the program will go on but it will probably be mediocre at best. I hope to god I’m wrong but this situation with Jesse just feels different. This doesn’t feel like a Red issue but an overall administration and commitment issue to NIL. Not saying it’s the wrong approach but if this is truly what college sports has become, then well it sucks
You don’t think the administration is committed to athletics? I’m not sure why they’re spending $200 million in upgrades to the Dome and another $150 million on facility upgrades. Must be nice to have chump change around to just make these buildings look nice.

Denial. You'll feel better (albeit not much better) if you just consider anyone who enters the portal dead to you. We need a new center.

Why don't you think they'd get a return?

And people love to put money towards investments with no return because they can brag to their peers. Why do you think people buy Teslas, or season tickets for the Cowboys?
Why do think they do get a return? I cant think of a scenario where Jesse drives north of $1 million dollars in revenue? Perhaps he might in the perfect business scenario, but I find it very, very unlikely. I doubt anyone local was paying JB $1 Million in singular sponsorships and he is probably the best known person in upstate NY.

And what are you talking about in your second sentence? They get tangible items in both of those scenarios (a car or tickets)

As a one-off, maybe. But if we had any big businesses left in this area (Wegman's? - LOL) they could benefit from a heightened affiliation with SU from being the lead NIL sponsor. It's like any other sponsorship from the perspective of the person writing the check.
yeah as a tie in to a business probably a great use of money. But these collectives it's a terrible ROI for a rich guy to just blindly donate to the whims of a college basketball player.

Like an insanely bad use of money. If you have alot of money give to the school and the physical plant or scholarships to those who attend. The athletes already get full rides. Be more like Steve Barnes and less like Weitsman if you ask me. Again, if you own a collection of Taco Bells on Erie Blvd and you can get a player to endorse a store then that may be a good use of marketing/advertising money.

For this reason, NIL is a dumb thing in a vacuum. Regulate it please congress and remove the tax exempt status for schools if we wander further into professional colleges.

If we can’t afford to keep one of our best players, how can we expect to be real players in the portal? We clearly either aren’t willing or aren’t able to dish out a desirable amount of NIL money.
We can’t.

They aren’t. It’s tampering. But it’s happening regardless.

Time to move forward. I do not think Jesse would enter the portal to look for better deals, the better deal has already been offered and entering the portal is just a formality. He is just doing what's best for him, and SU should do the same.

Like many have said, the NIL and portal changed everything. You have got to recruit actively because the situation is always fluid. NIL does not help galvanize a "team" and loyalty takes a back seat, it cuts both ways. No ill will on Jesse wherever he ends up.

Why do think they do get a return? I cant think of a scenario where Jesse drives north of $1 million dollars in revenue? Perhaps he might in the perfect business scenario, but I find it very, very unlikely. I doubt anyone local was paying JB $1 Million in singular sponsorships and he is probably the best known person in upstate NY.

And what are you talking about in your second sentence? They get tangible items in both of those scenarios (a car or tickets)
That's why I just call it pay to play. There are very few college athletes that can sell hundreds of thousands worth of product or have the following that says they're worth investing that kind of money in.

Good businessmen don't sink money into an investment with no return. A sane person does not write a million dollar check just because. They can love basketball as much as they want but they likely dont love it more than money itself.

Are users here writing 10-15K checks and giving them to players? Personally, I dont send out huge chunks of money without knowing that I am getting something tangible in return.
We aren’t talking about suburbanites with a couple of homes and some fun toys writing 10K checks. For the Filthy rich, NIL sponsorship would be a drop in the bucket. But maybe we don’t have enough filthy rich folks who are avid Cuse sports fans.

NIL has issues.. But really you would be hard pressed to find anyone spending chunk money on NIL that is getting the value back? I mean even the local car people if they give 10-20K to a kid to advertise are they really getting it back? Are they selling 20 more cars because someone saw an ad?

Its the lower budget NIL deals that actually have value to the kid and the NIL. But spending 5K on a kid to get him to do some charity work isnt driving the bus for the bigger names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom