Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 89 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the way I'm looking at this, we still have a big problem. Looks like we have a budget while some programs can just write blank checks. Hard to compete at a high level against that.
It's concerning but we can still get, and win with good players. We have a history of winning with 4 star guys. No reason we can't stay in that pool. Yeah, it's harder to develop them now but that's true everywhere.

There's a lot of posters in this thread that aren't reading the salient posts and just coming in hot with uninformed takes.

I mean, I get that 60+ pages in about a day is a lot, but still...
1681325185420.gif

And so did we. It’s not rocket science.
Yes.

I don’t know how people still aren’t understanding this - the problem never was about the legality of the NIL due to his visa; the university would have been able to pay him and been fine, had they reached an agreement.

The issue is the amount of money Jesse requested.

Yes.

I don’t know how people still aren’t understanding this - the problem never was about the legality of the NIL due to his visa; the university would have been able to pay him and been fine, had they reached an agreement.

early on in the thread it seemed like the common take was an issue with him being on a visa, then the .com published that it was figured out and the conversation shifted. Some might’ve missed that portion of the conversation.

Yes.

... or was told he'd get much more elsewhere...

i.e. WV reported to have tampered with competing better offer and then the floodgates opened...

Last edited:
Looks like UCONN figured it out somehow
Being champs makes it a lot easier as virtually every college hoops fan knows who he is. If we won maybe Jesse could get a deal with Royal Durch Shell Oil.

... or was told he'd get much more elsewhere...

i.e. WV reported to have tampered with competing better offer and then the floodgates opened...
Doubt it was SU who told WV what ended up being the auction starting bid. Thought it was illegal to tamper before a player entered the portal?

I had a feeling that yesterday wasn't the best day in this board's history. I'm used to the usual characters spouting off, but it was a pretty bad day for many typically sane posters.
In people’s defense, multiple posters and industry Twitter accounts said Syracuse figured out a way around the international NIL restrictions, but that we couldn’t match what other schools were paying. That’s a gut punch about where we stand in the pecking order. And on top of that, we all thought he was returning and wanted to return. Also, it’s kind of crappy on Jesse’s part. It’s one year. He’ll still make lots of money playing pro ball for the next decade, even if it’s not in the NBA.

Last edited:
Doubt it was SU who told WV what ended up being the auction starting bid. Thought it was illegal to tamper before a player entered the portal?

A student athlete can have an NIL agent who then can reach out to collectives/NIL opportunities at other schools to gauge their market price and then preview market deals for the student athlete prior to decision to enter portal.

Its a pretty easy work around. Players know what's out there in advance of making a decision in most of the bigger cases.

There is always going to be a veil to protect the school and its staff.

Hundreds of millions at play. Smart business people. They're gonna figure it out so there will be no tampering issue.

While the recent details that have come out seem to have settled most, I have to ask: are the reasons why we lost Jesse (because we had the money, but said too rich for our blood) any better than not having the money?

If what Jesse is getting is the going rate for known good players and we're saying no thanks; is that really any better? That's just another way of saying we can't do what it takes it compete. If Judah backs out of the draft is he not going to be looking for a payday as a known good college player with even better potential? Seems like he would fetch more than Jesse in that case and if we're unwilling to pay Jesse what other schools are then we definitely aren't paying Judah's price tag.

Unfortunately given these events I don't have high hopes for Cuse basketball at this point. If because we're unable to pay the big bucks, we can't get the big players and furthermore lose the diamonds in the rough that we do get because once they prove they can play they'll be asking for a bigger payday than we're willing to give then the basketball program will go the way of the football program. Sadly this seems like a foreshadowing of a grim future for this program/athletic department.

This will turn into an arms race within the next 5 years. There will be a clear 30 or so teams who are able to cut as many blank checks as they want and they will leave everybody behind.

Syracuse will be part of the group left behind. Its the unfortunate reality. We simply don't have the local players or boosters willing to make it happen.

While the recent details that have come out seem to have settled most, I have to ask: are the reasons why we lost Jesse (because we had the money, but said too rich for our blood) any better than not having the money?

If what Jesse is getting is the going rate for known good players and we're saying no thanks; is that really any better? That's just another way of saying we can't do what it takes it compete. If Judah backs out of the draft is he not going to be looking for a payday as a known good college player with even better potential? Seems like he would fetch more than Jesse in that case and if we're unwilling to pay Jesse what other schools are then we definitely aren't paying Judah's price tag.

Unfortunately given these events I don't have high hopes for Cuse basketball at this point. If because we're unable to pay the big bucks, we can't get the big players and furthermore lose the diamonds in the rough that we do get because once they prove they can play they'll be asking for a bigger payday than we're willing to give then the basketball program will go the way of the football program. Sadly this seems like a foreshadowing of a grim future for this program/athletic department.
Money is fungible, and it makes no sense to spend more than is reasonable to acquire an asset. There's cost, and then there's value.

It seems that there is a school who feels Jesse's value is worth more than the cost SU was willing to pay.

That's entirely how pro sports have worked for decades.

For example, I was terribly disappointed that the Red Sox lost Xander Boegarts. I was not disappointed that they decided to pass on paying him $300 million over 11 years.

I have a strong hunch we value Judah more than Jesse.

OK let's focus on a solution to this Jessie problem.

His "stickiness" to SU can be calculated by the following equation:

A + B + C

where:

A = amount of NIL money offered
B = girl friend attending SU
C = getting his undergraduate degree from SU

anything else?

well A is fixed, cannot be increased.

we can work on B and C.

we can pay some NIL to his GF to press Jesse to stay, or have someone make a move on his GF so he worries he might lose her if he leaves to another school.

we can hack into the school computer to change his grade so he fails one of his classes that is only offered during the fall semester so he has to stay around to retake that class,

what else? who is joining this black op?

I'm following the portal on on3.com. I see that the lead tamperer, WV, is the favorite to land John Hugley (6'9" 240lb center from Pitt). Jesse's high bidder could disappear in a flash and then what happens to Jesse's market value?

It seems like it is easy for a booster to lure a prospect into the portal for big $$. The numbers are worthless until you sign a deal.

I know Jesse has other suitors, but the market could change quickly if the high bidder goes in another direction.

This will turn into an arms race within the next 5 years. There will be a clear 30 or so teams who are able to cut as many blank checks as they want and they will leave everybody behind.

Syracuse will be part of the group left behind. Its the unfortunate reality. We simply don't have the local players or boosters willing to make it happen.
basketball is made up of so few players on a court and only one ball. This won't happen at all.

stars will still want to be singular stars. some super teams will form but ultimately guys want to be the king of their castle wherever. Geography will still matter to some, education will matter to others.

I couldn't disagree more. We'll be in the mix as usual. To me the part no one wants to touch is whether AA is actually a good manager of a top 10 esque program, can he X and 0 as well as Jimmy could in big games and is he able to identify recruits that fit the model.

If those things fail, NIL won't matter really because we'll be swimming upstream with a subpar coach

Jesse gets X, that sets the rate at Syracuse. That means Benny will ask for X/2 when he’s only getting X/3. Judah now wants 2x, JJ wants 1.75x etc, etc.

I’m not sure if the above is the defense they would use but I could see that becoming an issue across the Power 6

basketball is made up of so few players on a court and only one ball. This won't happen at all.

stars will still want to be singular stars. some super teams will form but ultimately guys want to be the king of their castle wherever. Geography will still matter to some, education will matter to others.

I couldn't disagree more. We'll be in the mix as usual. To me the part no one wants to touch is whether AA is actually a good manager of a top 10 esque program, can he X and 0 as well as Jimmy could in big games and is he able to identify recruits that fit the model.

If those things fail, NIL won't matter really because we'll be swimming upstream with a subpar coach
Great post. And we've had "superteams" in college ball for years! Or did I imagine the Fab 5, Pitino's Kentucky squads, etc.

Like you said, only 5 guys on the court and only 200 minutes to go around.

Resource access will be there for a small group.. willingness to commit those funds.. that's a complete guess. It will pave the way for elite amateurs to be better suited to play in another G league like option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom