Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
couple things I’ve heard:
1) the international NIL stuff was largely figured out. this was more about a # we didn’t want to match.
2) the staff wasn’t “blindsided”

Are you saying he wanted a lot more than we thought or wanted to give him……. Which would indicate we have the $ for big time players as opposed to we can’t even afford to keep players we have.

Why are people crying about NIL if anyone stands to benefit it’s us we can host 2x as many people at our games as NBA teams. We convinced Derrick Coleman who was maybe the best player of his late 80s era to stay in school for 4 years.

Are you saying he wanted a lot more than we thought or wanted to give him……. Which would indicate we have the $ for big time players as opposed to we can’t even afford to keep players we have.
Correct. The way it was explained to me (by someone who would absolutely know), was that the NIL stuff was figured out, and the # that was presented to him didn’t match up with what him/his family were hoping for. When he came back with a much bigger ask, we declined to go that high. It was reiterated to me that the limit was Jesse specific.

I’m certainly not happy with this result, but I’m also not in panic mode yet. I do not believe we simply couldn’t come up with the $. I believe this was a case where we just decided the $ became so ridiculous it wasn’t worth it.

Why are people crying about NIL if anyone stands to benefit it’s us we can host 2x as many people at our games as NBA teams. We convinced Derrick Coleman who was maybe the best player of his late 80s era to stay in school for 4 years.
??? The school doesn't pay NIL The revenue we bring in for hoop has nothing to do with NIL. I wish it did but it doesn't. There was no NIL back then. Players stayed 4 years all the time. Pat Ewing stayed 4 years. Mullen stayed 4 years. Different world.

Correct. The way it was explained to me (by someone who would absolutely know), was that the NIL stuff was figured out, and the # that was presented to him didn’t match up with what him/his family were hoping for. When he came back with a much bigger ask, we declined to go that high. It was reiterated to me that the limit was Jesse specific.

I’m certainly not happy with this result, but I’m also not in panic mode yet. I do not believe we simply couldn’t come up with the $. I believe this was a case where we just decided the $ became so ridiculous it wasn’t worth it.

Thank you for the response. That makes a lot of things that have been hinted from people I trust on here, all come together now.

So I can step back from the edge for a bit and see how things play out. :)

Had time to listen to most of the interview with Jessie on Dan Tortora. For those who have hung in here for 75+ pages, it provides a unique perspective on the situation from the man himself. Clears up some of the nonsense spewed in this thread.

After listening, although I don't like the decision as a fan, I hold no ill will towards Jesse and his family. Such a likeable young man who gave four years of his life to the program and got his degree.

Had time to listen to most of the interview with Jessie on Dan Tortora. For those who have hung in here for 75+ pages, it provides a unique perspective on the situation from the man himself. Clears up some of the nonsense spewed in this thread.

After listening, although I don't like the decision as a fan, I hold no ill will towards Jesse and his family. Such a likeable young man who gave four years of his life to the program and got his degree.
I harbor no ill will against the guy, but I also won't follow him with any particular interest in his future endeavors. He (and Dad) made a choice, and it's to play at one of the 350 or so programs I don't care about at all.

This is my pre-emptive post to all the "good luck we love you Jesse" posts that will be forthcoming.

NIL and the portal are the wild wild west, and it's exactly what so many were asking for. And if the people that asked for it claim they didn't think this is what it would be, they were ludicrously naive or simply lying to themselves. People with a mustard seed of common sense saw this coming.
It's important to recognize the full truth:

1. Compare this era to what was. Player empowerment (NIL and the portal) is/was the morally right thing to do.
2. The powers that be spent their energy fighting for the morally wrong thing to continue while developing no plan, rules, regulations to protect the future of college athletics... all while cashing in themselves.

It can be both the thing that was needed AND in need of fixing. The blame should continue to be on the NCAA, college presidents, and the rest.

I harbor no ill will against the guy, but I also won't follow him with any particular interest in his future endeavors. He (and Dad) made a choice, and it's to play at one of the 350 or so programs I don't care about at all.

This is my pre-emptive post to all the "good luck we love you Jesse" posts that will be forthcoming.
I'm in complete agreement. If you wear orange, you're my friend, wear any other uniform, good luck to ya I guess but I hope the team you go play for ends up sucking. I'm a damn fan. That's all I am.

Same. I loved Jesse as a bball player and as good person, but it was because he played for Cuse. If he committed somewhere else out of IMG I wouldn't have ever cared about him. He's choosing to leave and that affects how I'll think of him when his college career comes to a close. He's a member of whatever program he transfers to, not Cuse. It's frustrating, but I may have done the same thing given the money he can earn. Invest next year's earnings and he'll have a whole retirement fund in 40 years in his low 60s. But that doesn't mean I have to root for him. He has the freedom to leave and likely put Red in a bad spot to start his career, and I have the freedom to no longer be a fan.

Okay, so it appears, based on the info coming in, that we have the cash to offer NIL at the amount Jesse was seeking, but decided against it for him (for whatever reason). That's obviously a better situation than not having the NIL to begin with. However, what I'm still very concerned about is there appears to be many other programs that don't have a problem offering whatever amount they need to get such a player - and the likes of West Virginia. So the way I'm looking at this, we still have a big problem. Looks like we have a budget while some programs can just write blank checks. Hard to compete at a high level against that.

If - IF - the number to keep him was $500,000, I applaud SU for stepping away. Maybe not in the immediate future but hopefully soon in the AA regime we will have better players to spend our money on.

Okay, so it appears, based on the info coming in, that we have the cash to offer NIL at the amount Jesse was seeking, but decided against it for him (for whatever reason). That's obviously a better situation than not having the NIL to begin with. However, what I'm still very concerned about is there appears to be many other programs that don't have a problem offering whatever amount they need to get such a player - and the likes of West Virginia. So the way I'm looking at this, we still have a big problem. Looks like we have a budget while some programs can just write blank checks. Hard to compete at a high level against that.

Well those that don't have a budget.. some that won't be sustainable. Others, amongst a smaller list are what they are.

Yeah, I think this concern is more valid than other concerns that have been shared. In this new era, some programs have the mindset of “let’s just spend whatever is needed to compete”. Miami is an example. We are not one of those programs. So does that make it tougher for us? Absolutely. But after speaking to those in the know, I do feel better about the staffs handle on this.

Yeah, I think this concern is more valid than other concerns that have been shared. In this new era, some programs have the mindset of “let’s just spend whatever is needed to compete”. Miami is an example. We are not one of those programs. So does that make it tougher for us? Absolutely. But after speaking to those in the know, I do feel better about the staffs handle on this.
John Ruiz's company is in deep trouble. I'm not sure they will be spending just to spend anymore.

What if the player doesn't match the dollars he wants?
This player is not a first round draft pick or future NBA player. The coaching staff has to be smart in the amounts given to players. They obviously felt he isn’t worth the money he was asking. If that’s the reason, kudos to Autry. Even the pros have to draw lines in the sand.

Seems possibly north of that too...either way that's a big number for most likely a euro league guy.
This is why I feel a bit torn here. Yes it’s overall a gut punch. But did they make the wrong call? I honestly don’t know if I blame them for walking away. Almost like in the NFL if your team doesn’t re sign someone, and he gets overpaid elsewhere. It’s more annoying than anything that this is the reality.

This is why I feel a bit torn here. Yes it’s overall a gut punch. But did they make the wrong call? I honestly don’t know if I blame them for walking away. Almost like in the NFL if your team doesn’t re sign someone, and he gets overpaid elsewhere. It’s more annoying than anything that this is the reality.

Yeah not to mention the real estate like vibe with a really difficult seller. It can't be a neverending cycle. I don't mean that with animus towards Jesse at all either. Ultimately, especially in today's crazy world, you have to make sure you are maximizing your opportunities. In SUs case, they have an entire program to run and focus on and time is limited.

My big thing too is I sure hope wherever he lands- they are being honest with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom