Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't sound like the way AW was navigating NIL. Quite the opposite, in fact. Story that AW was meticulous in running every action by the SU Administration bogus?
You mean meticulous like when the NCAA issued some vague threats while penalizing Miami the day after AW was flaunting his signing of Elijah after a private jet ride with some celebrities? It seems the disagreement is how meticulous is defined.

i've downshifted my expectations into getting to the tournament once again. We've failed in that endeavor of late.

PC had a good program with Ed at the helm
Then we should stop investing in facilities and being in the ACC if the goals are “just the tournament”.

We were sold a bag of shtty goods. The AD has mostly gone downhill with Wildhack at the helm.

This sounds incredibly mid majorish.

The only thing that gives me hope of being good again is seeing what FAU and SDSU did. Older teams with a couple of transfers. We must keep our players because Syracuse will never get a top-25 kid again. Get some underrated talent and develop. It is still possible.

This isn’t true. We raised what was asked and have plenty of willing contributors. There’s only so much you can do if another program reaches out and says they can match and then some. We’ll see what happens.
If not in the portal, report it, go public put the NCAA and the public on notice to see if there are really rules NIL that apply to everyone. Why are coaches complaining, whining without reporting specifics to the NCAA and the public? Pretty useless otherwise and let the NCAA ignore it letting everyone know they are toothless and anything goes - or do something effective to really stop it. Stop playing games and publicly expose the sham.

Yea...having AW in your corner as the NIL era really kicks off was absolutely a good thing. This is dumb. Leave it to us to screw something up that was pretty simple and benefited our program.
Like everything in life, things aren't that simple. IF AW had been willing to act in accordance with Syracuse University, there wouldn't have been a problem. But AW plays by his rules. It is his money. But the school can't and shouldn't just bend over and say thank you AW.

The only thing that gives me hope of being good again is seeing what FAU and SDSU did. Older teams with a couple of transfers. We must keep our players because Syracuse will never get a top-25 kid again. Get some underrated talent and develop. It is still possible.
The problem is once that talents develop they will leave. You put 2 years into a kid, he makes a jump his 3rd year, then year 4 he goes the NIL route

Like everything in life, things aren't that simple. IF AW had been willing to act in accordance with Syracuse University, there wouldn't have been a problem. But AW plays by his rules. It is his money. But the school can't and shouldn't just bend over and say thank you AW.
But what did he do other than be too public? Is the notion that he ran everything through compliance flawed?

Again, he doesn’t want to play by SU’s rules. That’s his choice. If this was more about SU than his ROI he’d play ball. But it’s not. And that’s fine. But let’s not pretend otherwise.
He is not an alum, he is a Syracuse sports fan. He wants to do it his way, and his way includes making sure that we are 100% compliant with the rules. So, why doesn't the university allow him to do it? That is completely up to them, and we are seeing the consequences. Perhaps a compromise could be reached, but that would require the university reaching out.

The problem is once that talents develop they will leave. You put 2 years into a kid, he makes a jump his 3rd year, then year 4 he goes the NIL route
Then you got to win that third year.

Oh I totally understand that. My issue would be is this...was AW breaking rules and doing whatever he wanted or was he following them to a T but the University didn't like the flash/attention? Didn't AW even hire legal help strictly to make sure everything he did was legal? Doesn't seem like a good idea to push a billionaire out that was all in on pissing money away for NIL imo. Hopefully the other big fish are ready to dish it out like he was. Ur also right about Adam not bringing in any top 5 star studs...but I think he was just getting started with all this NIL stuff and figuring out how to manage it. Really think he would've eventually come through with helping land some elite guys again.

Also, bad timing all around and awful publicity at the moment considering we just lost our starting 5 due to NIL reasons. For this era of basketball we need all the AW's we can get...booting them to the curb is not it!

I’m in a collective at a different school that gave money to a kid from New Zealand this past season. It’s not skirting anything. It is perfectly within whatever rules of NIL exist.

Player goes home for a week or two. Player does a zoom call or whatever type of virtual appearance or autograph signing or whatever while he is home. Player gets paid.

It is that simple. If Syracuse isn’t willing to do that then they are voluntarily playing a different game than everyone else in college basketball. Beyond stupid if that had anything to do with it.

It didn’t have anything to do with it.

I’m assuming AW is a decent guy that loves SU I just I’m not sure about Kent. He seems out of touch with what is going on or just arrogant or i don’t know what
LOL That is really funny in so many ways. let's rephrase it this way, you like what AW was doing for the team you root for and you don't like Kent stopping him from doing that. For whatever reason Kent may have had.

Then you got to win that third year.
Ideally. That’s the assuming the rest of the roster is on the Same exact time line, and none of those guys left before that kid gets to his 3rd year.

That is the thing about portal - you may not know how the players will integrate with one another, but you know what they are capable above at this level

Yeah, news about their rift has been going on for almost 2 months now, since he brought Elijah up with a couple of NYC rappers and blasted social about his NIL commitments.

This media blitz by AW is pretty low-class, IMO. Don't air dirty laundry.
AW told me he was getting out of NIL in early February. I saved the texts. Ha!

Cherie, always good poster and postings. Regarding Jesse, could the same be said for Jim's imminent retirement? I would doubt we got tampered with in a nakedly illegal way here.
TY. I was just stating that JJ wasn’t illegally recruited. I agree if players want to leave because JB is no longer their coach, so be it. I don’t believe though that offering a better nil deal before even entering the transfer portal is legal nor ethical reason though.
I imagine our players were aware that it was a definite possibility year to year and why a continuity hire was made.

When they get good, people from bigger schools will come buy them. We are a "selling club" now. People harvest our talent.

We can't keep kids as it is, and now we're going to have 3 and 4 year players - who are actually GOOD - with no real NIL program?

Status
Not open for further replies.