Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Virginia!!!! We can’t Jesse a better NIL than WVU?!?!? What is the point of any of this? We really have no wealthy boosters to step up for us????
Obviously not as wealthy as the hillbilly moonshiners.

The crazy thing is that we were assured by a number of people that losing Weitsman wouldn’t be an issue because we had some new big NIL players/boosters that would take care of our guys. Apparently they’re not that deep pocketed and not that invested. How could they have not been prepared for this??? Our athletic department is Pathetic. I am so angry. And Wildhack will try to spin this like everything else. The university needs to have a serious reckoning about the future of the basketball and football programs and how it relates to NIL.

Jesse could have been the one reaching out. Could be that we were the only one’s not in the know. Puzzling.

The crazy thing is that we were assured by a number of people that losing Weitsman wouldn’t be an issue because we had some new big NIL players/boosters that would take care of our guys. Apparently they’re not that deep pocketed and not that invested. How could they have not been prepared for this??? Our athletic department is Pathetic.
People in Syracuse need to get out of Syracuse once in a while to realize where Syracuse actual is.

I don't expect the AD to manage NIL donations. But it's part and parcel with managing a modern revenue athletic program.

If the AD stumbles over their basic responsibilities like ensuring that their coaches aren't abusive or even putting together a basic halftime program script, how can I trust them to make the bigger decisions about the program as a whole? I expect some synergy and everyone rowing in the same direction when someone is getting paid ~$800k+/yr to manage a ~$100m/year department.

When I was in the military, in basic training, they preached attention to detail and said that if they can't trust you with something simple like folding a t-shirt into a 6-inch square, how can they trust you with a billion dollar piece of equipment?
This is like a professor of mine in law school always said: "if you don't read the footnotes your children will starve."

Last edited:
Jesse isn’t a former player I will root for. If you’re going to make a professional like move just enjoy your money. I hope the Mountaineers absolutely suck if he goes there.
I have to agree. The guys that left for PT, understandable and I wish them well. This. Not so much. Especially because I'm pretty sure he told the coaches he was coming back.

Think about this:
The 2019-2020 recruiting class:
Jesse, Quincy, Joe, Goodine and JBA. All transferred out of the program. And all came in before Covid was even a thing.

The narrative around a program is so important for recruiting and player acquisition, especially in the early days of a new head coach. And this news about Jesse completely craters the narrative around the program. They should have been doing everything they could to pay Jesse the above market rate if need be and planning for others to try to outbid us. How can the stakeholders around the program be caught so flat footed?

The narrative around a program is so important for recruiting and player acquisition, especially in the early days of a new head coach. And this news about Jesse completely craters the narrative around the program. They should have been doing everything they could to pay Jesse the above market rate if need be and planning for others to try to outbid us. How can the stakeholders around the program be caught so flat footed?

Because they are idiots, and basically caught flat-footed by everything that happens? Our coaching staff has seemed completely out of touch in terms of what they expect versus what happens in actuality for at least 5 years. If not longer.

The REAL narrative was that old man JB was to blame for that. I'm not so sure.

How is making money when he can not what's best for him. It's not what's best for SU
Jesse was staying. It was a known fact. But his dad is clearly the one going out and trying to profit more off him when Jesse wanted to stay and was going to. If it’s going to make your kid happy it should make you happy as a parent. That’s all I’m saying

Jesse, Joe and JBA all graduated from SU.
That is also true. But all ending up transferring one way or another (granted the Covid year gave an additional year, which just so happens to be the year they transferred).

Jesse was staying. It was a known fact. But his dad is clearly the one going out and trying to profit more off him when Jesse wanted to stay and was going to. If it’s going to make your kid happy it should make you happy as a parent. That’s all I’m saying

Only it wasn't "fact" -- it's what the coaches believed.

And true to form, they didn't have their fingers on the pulse.

It’s not Red’s fault that our NIL resources are a joke compared to other schools. Apparently.
Just like it wasn’t the prior coach’s fault that we can’t compete on NIL.

We will soon see how much Red’s aggressive recruiting work will pay off. I fear aggressive recruiting and relationship building is going to be secondary to ability to pay competitively.

Because they are idiots, and basically caught flat-footed by everything that happens? Our coaching staff has seemed completely out of touch in terms of what they expect versus what happens in actuality for at least 5 years. If not longer.

The REAL narrative was that old man JB was to blame for that. I'm not so sure.
It's certainly a bad look, and not what you want at the start of a coaching staff's tenure.

If it persists they ain't gonna last long. Kinda rough to take a mulligan this early.

We had 17 losses two years ago, and then 15 losses last season.
We are very likely to lose our 3 best players.
We have one transfer, and another "no star" 7 foot project at center who likely won't even play next year.

Yeah, predicting that we lose 3 or 4 more games than the last couple years, when we lost 80% of our production and have a completely inexperienced head coach is JUST CRAZY !!! :rolleyes:

Yes, it is. You just revealed the nail being hammered in.

And there are words stamped on that nail, "SU Basketball is an enigma."

Last edited:
Bingo. Jesse is a grown adult and should tell his pops to pound sand if he doesn’t want to leave SU. I’d hope I raised my kids to do just that if I was being an overbearing stage Dad.

I have never seen so many words written to say so little of value as this thread. 30-40 pages of the same thing over and over again.
I Can Do This All Day GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors