Jim Boeheim calls Brian Higgins 4-1-24 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim calls Brian Higgins 4-1-24

The people who don’t believe JB are same people who believe Mullen was on campus over thanksgiving.

Wait.,… that was you. At one point you were leading the charge. Oh…. I know, after it didn’t happen you had to save face and pretend it was all a joke.

JB is all good with dissent as long as the facts are right Lol. Remember when he threw a hissy fit because the paper dared to print his record vs Pitino. What's my record vs Belein Donna?
There are plenty of reasons to criticize JB, but this episode isn't one of them. He was absolutely right.

Donna wrote a piece pointing out that some coaches owned JB, notably Pitino and Dixon. The paper did not, as you say, print his record against Pitino and that was a big part of JB's beef. If it had done so, readers would have been reminded that JB at one time owned Pitino, including ousting RP from the Final Four in '87. A glaring omission.

He also had an issue with Donna's focus on coaches he was currently struggling with, while not bothering to mention the successful coaches who couldn't seem to win against him. Hence the Beilein comment. Again, this is COM 101 stuff. Worse, Donna's baffled reaction exposed her as someone who didn't understand basic fundamentals of journalism.

I'll never understand how this piece got past the editor's desk in its published iteration. Unless it was just a case of the PS wanting to piss JB off.

Disclaimer here: I like Donna and think she does a better job than anybody covering Syracuse basketball. I never would have said that when she started, but she has improved dramatically over the years. Her writing is clear, concise and well researched and her pieces are often clever and thoughtful. But she and her employer were just wrong on this one.

JB slipped and caught himself - he admitted in that interview that Hopkins knew JB wanted to continue to coach. This isn’t difficult to understand. Hop knew JB wanted to continue and did the honorable thing and made it so he didn’t have to push out JB. JB didn’t openly ask him to do that but I am sure Hopkins could sense it.
Bingo

Does JB know by now how fans of teams are? It’s like politics, you will rarely ever change someone’s views regardless, so why waste your time? I’m 28 and understand this. Respectfully, JB, don’t you have something better to focus your time on?

Am I the only one that can't sit through the whole thing?

I will sit through the dumbest YouTube videos and I love su basketball but a couple minutes in, I'm out

Im sure Hopkins is a nice guy but who bothers doing the what if thing with a 15-17 win coach?

Go get someone really good and fill the dome if autry fails

There are plenty of reasons to criticize JB, but this episode isn't one of them. He was absolutely right.

Donna wrote a piece pointing out that some coaches owned JB, notably Pitino and Dixon. The paper did not, as you say, print his record against Pitino and that was a big part of JB's beef. If it had done so, readers would have been reminded that JB at one time owned Pitino, including ousting RP from the Final Four in '87. A glaring omission.

He also had an issue with Donna's focus on coaches he was currently struggling with, while not bothering to mention the successful coaches who couldn't seem to win against him. Hence the Beilein comment. Again, this is COM 101 stuff. Worse, Donna's baffled reaction exposed her as someone who didn't understand basic fundamentals of journalism.

I'll never understand how this piece got past the editor's desk in its published iteration. Unless it was just a case of the PS wanting to piss JB off.

Disclaimer here: I like Donna and think she does a better job than anybody covering Syracuse basketball. I never would have said that when she started, but she has improved dramatically over the years. Her writing is clear, concise and well researched and her pieces are often clever and thoughtful. But she and her employer were just wrong on this one.
Yeah, Donna doesn't understand journalism. She has only been the New York sportswriter of the year and this year, has been elected in to the Basketball writers Hall of Fame. Oh, and Mike Waters has also been a New York Sportswriter of the year and he was elected in to the Basketball writers Hall of Fame. We have been blessed.

I wasn't familiar with this incident, so I Googled it. Apparently this is the article that triggered it. It's not a piece about coaches that owned JB, in which case he'd maybe have a point. It's a game preview for a Syracuse-Louisville game, which points out that Syracuse has lost six straight against Louisville and has struggled to score against their defense - relevant information in a game preview, no?

It's not an unfair article and it's not taking a shot at Boeheim as a coach - it's just previewing a game with basic facts about the game/teams/coaches.

Edit to add: Whoever wrote that headline, on the other hand, needs remedial grammar lessons.

Fwiw, I'm not calling Jim a liar, per se. I believe he believes his "side" of the story. I don't believe he's accepting that Mike knew Jim wanted to continue coaching and wanted to coach his kids.

So Vito = Cuseball = djcon57? (Can't tell the players without a scorecard.)

Wait.,… that was you. At one point you were leading the charge. Oh…. I know, after it didn’t happen you had to save face and pretend it was all a joke.
Go read the thread.

Did I want Mullen? Yes.

Did I believe he was on campus? Never.

I wasn't familiar with this incident, so I Googled it. Apparently this is the article that triggered it. It's not a piece about coaches that owned JB, in which case he'd maybe have a point. It's a game preview for a Syracuse-Louisville game, which points out that Syracuse has lost six straight against Louisville and has struggled to score against their defense - relevant information in a game preview, no?

It's not an unfair article and it's not taking a shot at Boeheim as a coach - it's just previewing a game with basic facts about the game/teams/coaches.

Edit to add: Whoever wrote that headline, on the other hand, needs remedial grammar lessons.
JB is thin skinned, always has been, always will be

Here is the ESPN article on the matter.

“Boeheim appears to be upset about this piece from Syracuse Post-Standard beat reporter Donna Ditota, who made note -- rather innocuously, if you ask me -- of Boeheim's six-game (now seven-game) losing streak to Louisville coach Rick Pitino before Syracuse's loss to Pitino on Saturday. (He also noticeably made mention of the lack of midseason perspective from local media.) The Syracuse coach apparently didn't like that tact, but he didn't mention the piece after Syracuse lost its seventh-straight game to Louisville on Saturday. Instead, he waited until Monday night -- when the 'Cuse beat West Virginia on Big Monday -- to air those grievances.

Boeheim even got into a heated exchange with the Post-Standard beat reporters in the news conference, asking them if they knew his record against former West Virginia coach John Beilein. Things devolved quickly:”

"No idea," Ditota said.
"Well, then you don't know your business," Boeheim said.
"Why would I know that?" Ditota responded. "Why would I know John Beilein's record against you? When is the last time you played John Beilein?"
"This year," Boeheim said. "Mike, you know?"
"I don't think he's ever beaten you," Waters said.
"Yeah, you don't think," Boeheim said. "You're right. That's the way they work here. They think that's cute."

Here is the ESPN article on the matter.

I think my favorite part is the rant about not being judged on a snapshot, and how reporters wouldn't like it if he judged them on six or seven articles when they write a couple hundred a year, all while judging Ditota on one article.

Also reading all that makes me wonder if he actually read the article in question or just heard about it out of context. Like I could totally see someone reading Donna's article, and saying, "Hey coach, you see Donna wrote that Pitino owns you with six straight wins?" just to stir the pot and watch him go off.

So Vito = Cuseball = djcon57? (Can't tell the players without a scorecard.)

Nope I don’t live in Syracuse and certainly don’t listen to Syracuse sports radio on a regular basis let alone calling. And I wouldn’t call Jim a liar

Am I the only one that can't sit through the whole thing?

I will sit through the dumbest YouTube videos and I love su basketball but a couple minutes in, I'm out

Im sure Hopkins is a nice guy but who bothers doing the what if thing with a 15-17 win coach?

Go get someone really good and fill the dome if autry fails

Jim is the one who brought it up first when asked about Hop’s firing the other day. You’d have to ask him

The same people that hate boeheim and still bash him are the same people that believe everything the media says. This program would be toast without that man. Decades of irrelevancy. Alot of posters weren't around to enjoy boeheim in his prime so it's easier to follow the narrative and bash bash bash.

Jim is the one who brought it up first when asked about Hop’s firing the other day. You’d have to ask him
He is a big reason why I didn't listen to the whole thing.

The same people that hate boeheim and still bash him are the same people that believe everything the media says. This program would be toast without that man. Decades of irrelevancy. Alot of posters weren't around to enjoy boeheim in his prime so it's easier to follow the narrative and bash bash bash.
Roy Danforth did well before he left.

I was around for all of it and he has tarnished his own legacy IMO in the last decade with his lackluster performance and self-righteous whining and bitching... he's old and his schtick is old - really old.

Many were hoping that once he retired, he'd be the kinder and gentler Jim... I know I was hoping for that.

Episodes like this show back-to-type, unfortunately... "Hi, let me first start out with the fans suck... and now let me re-litigate the Mike Hopkins exit in the most confrontational and cringeworthy way possible, because you're local media and I have the right to treat you like hot garbage."

It is what it is. Unsurprising and sad.

Last edited:
Pat has always been a pain in the ass of the radio shows.
Pat is a great fan. I love his passion but there is no doubt he goes over the top when he gets rolling on the radio. His comment on the pilot of Syracuse's private jet laughing at Boeheim because he never used it to go out and recruit- true or not- was totally a ridiculous thing to say. Again, an awesome supporter of the program but sometimes gets into the trap of making the show about himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom