Jimmy Boeheim Transferring to Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Boeheim Transferring to Syracuse

I think this year (2021/22) will be the last season a Boeheim steps foot
on a college basketball court in a competitive/real game.

Why not?
Well, let's take a look at how he was viewed as a college basketball prospect.

1618613490847.png

His two offers were for D-II programs.

We can be real about this. Owens isn't in the plans. He's here because Billy was awesome and we had room.

I would love to be wrong on this. But to consider him a scholarship player even on the same level as, say, Howard Washington, is a significant stretch.

assuming Q is gone and no legit point guard...

im hoping for the best. I really am.

I really don’t see close to Top 25 like some of you are unless Benny is Melo/Wes category, which is asking for a “generational” type talent.

Got to be exciting for Jim Jr and family though.
Yea, we won’t be top 25 but likely in the 35-50 range in KenPom, which is basically where we’ve been most of the past 7 seasons.

Agree with everything, but while we have a bunch of shooters which is never bad, do we have anybody who looks to pass first or is even an above average passer? Anybody who can get into the passing lanes on defense or recover from a missed rotation? This could end up being a big disaster.
Benny and Torrence

I... uh... man.

Let's just say that video didn't really compel me.

We tlakin' practice - 5 on 5. He could play in that.

Additional players aren't necessarily going to be potential starters: we've got those. Anyone else is being brought in for depth. Owens could be that kind of player.

We tlakin' practice - 5 on 5. He could play in that.
Look, again I don't want it to sound like I'm ripping the kid.

But Tyus Battle's dad said that he thought it was huge for Tyus to have to go up against Elijah Hughes in practice every day.

I think Torrence will push our starting guards in practice.

Do we actually expect Owens to?

How close is Owens to actually getting minutes? How many guys would JB go to first before he calls Owens off the bench?

I'm guessing it's all of the active scholarship players.

I don't understand what exactly people are disagreeing with on this one.

Does anyone have any expectation at all that Owens next season should be on the floor in a competitive game?

I don't see how.

That's what I'm talking about. That's why I think we need a 4th viable guard. Or a guard that's good enough that he bumps one of the current three down a spot. So we a) have an additional option that's realistically playable and b) so we have more competitive practices.

And to be clear, I like having Owens on the team! I'm fine with him having a spot. But to call him the 4th scholarship guard doesn't make sense.

But 79, you might have missed my question, is he really not a walk on?

Really?

Really?
By definition, if he's on scholarship, he's not a walk-on. And you wanted someone to practice to fill them out . He practices.

That's all.

Well, let's take a look at how he was viewed as a college basketball prospect.

View attachment 199944

His two offers were for D-II programs.

We can be real about this. Owens isn't in the plans. He's here because Billy was awesome and we had room.

I would love to be wrong on this. But to consider him a scholarship player even on the same level as, say, Howard Washington, is a significant stretch.
I want to know, how does he compare to Tyrone Albright and Ronneil Herron? Had to be two of our better walkons that weren’t football players.

Also, can he take Brandon Reese? BJORN II

I don’t think Chaz is good enough to give other scholarship guys hell in practice but he’s definitely good enough where if he had to play in meaningful game it wouldn’t be 4 v 5

So on Jimmy-

I like the idea of his versatility, he has a very good first step and is definitely a plus athlete at minimum. If he can do the little things while being physical he adds a lot of value. I've not seen him handle it but if he is indeed comfortable as another ballhandler he absolutely is going to add value.

I have to shout out to the Cornell coach for helping with that announcement. Speaks to he quality of person he is and how much he cares for his players. Gotta be hard to have a better team lined up and the rug is pulled out.

Benny and Torrence
Girard has to be that guy who finds the open man and makes the offense go. Also, what about Jimmy? Isn’t he supposed to be a good passer with good vision? I know his assist totals aren’t super high but he was asked to score more at Cornell.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not really what I'm getting at.
You aren’t going to get what you want to hear out of them. It’s like blood from a stone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom