Jimmy | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need defense. Jimmy scoring 15ppg but giving up 25 is not better than Joe Blow scoring 10 but only giving up 12.

It’s never been about scoring at Syracuse. It’s about playing a long scary zone. Having a top 20 defense. Having long athletes all over the court. Closing in on shooters so fast they can’t get a shot up. Blocking the passing lanes for turnovers.

Jimmy is a decent player but he is not good at all for our zone defense. Same goes for Buddy, Cole, and Joe.

JB used to always have a designated shooter like McNamara, Rautins, Cooney, etc. Other than that it was all athletes. Defense first and worry about scoring later. Now it’s a team full of designated shooters. No athletes to be found.

So with that being said, bringing back any of these guys is a mistake. Bringing back all of them is a disaster. This is Syracuse not Cornell.

If this is all true and they both do return, I’m assuming daddy is going to announce his swan song. If that’s the case, I support it all 100%. Let the man go out the way he wants and I can’t think of a better way than watching him and his sons put a bow on an amazing career.

You are acting hyperbolic. The coach deserves the sendoff. The offramp is going to be bumpy but to just discard the guy who IS syracuse basketball b/c we're not 14-3 right now is foolish. Yeah we're not that good, yeah the team is not made up of DC/Owens/Sherm is not good. He's the reason we care so much about SU basketball. This season isn't even over yet. Let's see how it all plays out.

You have to, minus some Paterno/Woody Hayes situation, allow this to end peacefully for the coach and the school. To me this is great news. It allows a season to unfold where JW can identify the coach to take over, inside or out, and let Jim coach his kids into the sunset.

Jim Boeheim is not perfect. Two probations, surly behavior, petulance. But he is our guy who committed to the university when he could have taken NBA riches, could have gone to Ohio St. Loyalty is a two way street IMO. For 50 years of commitment to the university, the least the school can do is give him and his kids another year to ride off.
Did JB announce he is leaving after next year?

This place is funny - I agree this yr has been frustrating but fast forward to next January without JB3 and BB and everyone on this board will be saying they wished we had them back after watching the frosh struggle.

Jimmy was also the first to say he shouldn’t be starting / surprised he was starting this yr so guessing if Benny takes the Soph leap into next yr he would be ok being 6th man.

Maybe frank leaves but that’s because Jesse is a stud and perhaps Brown / Cary could back him up so he may not see minutes - not JB3 issue

This team needs a stud to keep BB from being doubled at half court - we all hope Benny evolves into that - right now the only isolation guy down low is Jimmy but that can change.

When Melo was here he was coached to start down low - no idea why Benny isn’t coached to do same but he seems to wonder 15-18 ft from basket - get him to start on the low post would help him IMO

But this is the issue, Jimmy is limited, he should be a bench player who gives you 15 minutes off the bench and provides a scoring spark. Instead he’s a focal point of a team that is our worst in decades. We would be a much better team if we recruited better players and kept some of the pieces who could have changed the whole complexion of this years team instead of building it around the Boeheim brothers.

Yes, we agree.

This place is funny - I agree this yr has been frustrating but fast forward to next January without JB3 and BB and everyone on this board will be saying they wished we had them back after watching the frosh struggle.

Jimmy was also the first to say he shouldn’t be starting / surprised he was starting this yr so guessing if Benny takes the Soph leap into next yr he would be ok being 6th man.

Maybe frank leaves but that’s because Jesse is a stud and perhaps Brown / Cary could back him up so he may not see minutes - not JB3 issue

This team needs a stud to keep BB from being doubled at half court - we all hope Benny evolves into that - right now the only isolation guy down low is Jimmy but that can change.

When Melo was here he was coached to start down low - no idea why Benny isn’t coached to do same but he seems to wonder 15-18 ft from basket - get him to start on the low post would help him IMO
Quincy gave us everything JB3 has given us. With better defense.

Joe can give us what Buddy can.

Those are pieces not stars. We need better players overall.

We don’t need to run this back.

It’s fine for Jimmy to play 30mpg If Swider is NOT the other starting forward. If Swider is the other starting forward than ugh…

I want Benny to develop and take that spot.

One thing that has been very clear this year is that outside of Jesse we don't have one player who should be getting more than 30 minutes on this team. If we went into next year with that understanding, it's more than reasonable to bring back the experience merged with the new blood to get a deeper team and a team where the new guys can have a real shot at being big contributors.

That itself is the logical outcome. Problem is the experience factor and history will not lead us down that road and instead heavy attrition concerns come full circle.

Last edited:
Isn’t that what he is getting this year?

Another year is a joke unless he publicly committed it to be his last year. Which I highly doubt is the plan.

The statements he makes just show he is a politician and knows how to spin.

We don’t need another year of Joe, Jimmy, Buddy playing 35+ MPG.

No -- we don't have a clearly defined line in the sand where JB agrees to step away amicably.

I'd suck it up and not complain about a continuation of the subpar roster for another year if we got that.

What I expect is that if this happens, not only will we have another .500 caliber season NEXT year, but JB still with no intention of leaving. I expect it's going to be an ugly separation at this point.

I agree with your overall sentiment about what's playing out on the court, wasn't what I was referring to in my post.

No -- we don't have a clearly defined line in the sand where JB agrees to step away amicably.

I'd suck it up and not complain about a continuation of the subpar roster for another year if we got that.

What I expect is that if this happens, not only will we have another .500 caliber season NEXT year, but JB still with no intention of leaving. I expect it's going to be an ugly separation at this point.

I agree with your overall sentiment about what's playing out on the court, wasn't what I was referring to in my post.
At this point if he said publicly one more year and I am done I would shut up. He would need to say it though.

Read about half the replies. So I have this question, do opinions change if JB doesn't coach? I think I've seen as many posts about how bad he's coached this year as about the players. And how this all won't work because of it. JB has made no announcement of retirement but at his age, 10 months from now is a long time. Not wishing ill for the man, never would, just saying.

Listen, I’m okay with this scenario if JB leaves after 2023 season. However, a coach in waiting needs to be named. How Duke is handling coach K stepping down is absolutely perfect. The recruiting takes no hit. There’s no guessing games. There’s no drama. It is perfectly seamless. This is my main concern that JB will be so stubborn that he won’t allow that to happen. If we follow the Duke plan, I don’t care what happens with this roster for next year

Kid has cost us as many games as he has helped. Turnover machine. Can’t be a very good team if he is a key cog. Definition of a guy who would be a great energy, physicality player off the bench. Now, if everyone played as hard as he does, we would be improved as a team.

Huh? He has the lowest turnover rate on the team and on a per 40 minute basis the only one with fewer turnovers is Frank.

Can’t disagree more. He matters more to locals. Alums who came to Syracuse for school didn’t become fans because of him.

The loyalty has been returned by the school. He is the only coach with 2 probations at one school. He got full support from the fanbase after the second probation.

You are saying he is above the program. If you want to say that go ahead. He brings negative attention with comments as well. I really don’t want to spend the in depth time I could to break this all down. Trust me I could but it’s pointless you won’t change your mind and that is fine.

This program needs energy. It’s not about doing this season all over again.
Yes, he's above the program at this point. I'm fine with acknowledging some mystical situation. If anyone thinks otherwise they are delusional. Jim Boeheim has more clout than any other basketball coach in the country. He also coaches for below market money and has been loyal to CNY and the university.

we agree to disagree on this one. I tend to go back and forth on it as well but i ultimately land on allowing a legend to finish off his career on his own timing absent an embarrassing non basketball event.

Certainly the roster isn't final four quality. The funny thing watching college hoops is no one really is dominant anymore absent 3 teams. This team just needed to win 4 more games to be in the discussion for the tournament. To me that's always the goal.

So I have this question, do opinions change if JB doesn't coach?
On the same team playing next season? I don't understand the question. This team is mediocre because the defense isn't capable of stopping anyone. If JB doesn't coach, would the next coach have them play M2M? That defense with these players wouldn't be capable of stopping anyone either.

Need a new coach and new players or at least a re-balanced roster. Seven years of mediocre teams with an occasional Cinderella run is for schools in the A-10 or CUSA.

Read about half the replies. So I have this question, do opinions change if JB doesn't coach? I think I've seen as many posts about how bad he's coached this year as about the players. And how this all won't work because of it. JB has made no announcement of retirement but at his age, 10 months from now is a long time. Not wishing ill for the man, never would, just saying.

are you saying Jimmy Boeheim is going to be player/coach? Now i'm fascinated.

Next coach gets a grace period.
It’s going to be rebuild. The next HC needs to recruit well and give the fanbase energy.

Listen, I’m okay with this scenario if JB leaves after 2023 season. However, a coach in waiting needs to be named. How Duke is handling coach K stepping down is absolutely perfect. The recruiting takes no hit. There’s no guessing games. There’s no drama. It is perfectly seamless. This is my main concern that JB will be so stubborn that he won’t allow that to happen. If we follow the Duke plan, I don’t care what happens with this roster for next year

No offense, but that's an awful idea.

Duke had reasons to strive for continuity -- they are recruiting as well as they ever have, and they have fielded top 10 teams 4 of the past 5 years. They don't want that to change, and they have incentive to maintain the status quo.

But we don't. Our recruiting is average in general -- and below average, compared to our historical program standard. Our on-court results have been below average. And we're trending down on both fronts.

Therein lies the difference. There is no candidate good enough to be named "coach in waiting."

No way. The coaches currently on the staff are all contributing to the dysfunctional product, the poor recruiting, etc. The only thing that will turn this titanic around is an infusion of new ideas and new energy. Not a continuation of the same sorry approach.

Everyone familiar with the definition of insanity? Let's avoid that.

Last edited:
Coach in waiting asserts that it will be one of our current assistants taking over, if that is the case PLEASE NO! The program needs a fresh start badly.

Next coach gets a grace period.
It’s going to be rebuild. The next HC needs to recruit well and give the fanbase energy.

There won't be a grace period in college basketball for Syracuse. It just takes one recruiting class and intelligent transfers to go from 0 to 100mph. I think the next coach will be on an incredibly short leash to be NCAA worthy after year 1.

This isn't football. I would think the university won't hesitate to make a move if whomever takes over the Iron Throne isn't cooking by year 3

There won't be a grace period in college basketball for Syracuse. It just takes one recruiting class and intelligent transfers to go from 0 to 100mph. I think the next coach will be on an incredibly short leash to be NCAA worthy after year 1.

This isn't football. I would think the university won't hesitate to make a move if whomever takes over the Iron Throne isn't cooking by year 3
Yes there is. The next coach has to recruit personnel for their system.
I am not giving 5 years but 2 years before the temperature raising one degree. By year 3 we should be on the upswing.

While we transition. Bubble seasons are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom