JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

5106C496-FE7F-4FF8-9B53-CCD9935D5201.jpeg

Seeing people write him off or discount him is strange. Kids get better between their freshman and sophomore years.
Right? Think about Dion’s freshman year - there were flashes but he was just ok and almost transferred….and then he exploded here as a soph. Part of that was opportunity, but part of it was he got better.

He averaged 11, not 5. Not 1.5(like Benny). 11.

Disappointing for him, but let’s put it in context.
Absolutely agree that it wasn’t a disaster of a frosh year by any stretch. I didn’t watch enough ND to have a good feel but it does seem like at least a bit of a weird year. He only started three of the last six after starting 21 of 22 early and in those last six games (basically most of Feb) he scored 6.5 ppg and shot 11% from three. Really struggled? Maybe an injury or some friction with the staff? He also had really meager assist numbers on a team that generally moves the ball very well and shoots well (so theoretically a bit easier to notch a few assists/game).

Regardless, I’m excited about the potential and pairing him with Judah would seem to be a massive home run if that happens. Would just be interested to hear his candid thoughts on his freshman season.

He didn’t recruit. That’s not a joke when I say that. He talked to Taylor on a few occasions and talked to Judah when he needed to. But I’ve always said the kids want to be recruited by the head coach and you can see already how much it matters. Him and Judah in backcourt. Oh boy
So, JJ is the shooting guard?

Absolutely agree that it wasn’t a disaster of a frosh year by any stretch. I didn’t watch enough ND to have a good feel but it does seem like at least a bit of a weird year. He only started three of the last six after starting 21 of 22 early and in those last six games (basically most of Feb) he scored 6.5 ppg and shot 11% from three. Really struggled? Maybe an injury or some friction with the staff? He also had really meager assist numbers on a team that generally moves the ball very well and shoots well (so theoretically a bit easier to notch a few assists/game).

Regardless, I’m excited about the potential and pairing him with Judah would seem to be a massive home run if that happens. Would just be interested to hear his candid thoughts on his freshman season.
Shoulder injury and knee issues at the end of the year.

That is cool. All I remember about him from the ND game was that he is super athletic.

So, 1 of 5 positions is in good shape.

1. point - ?
  2. 2 guard - Starling
  3. small forward - ?
  4. forward - ?
  5. center - ?

I'm going to go ahead and partially credit the fans for the warm welcome home they gave JJ for his starting line up intro when ND came to the dome. Some fanbases would've chose to boo, Cuse fans chose to cheer.. loudly.

Avg over 11 pts a game as a Fr. Thats more than Bell and Taylor combined. He had a better fr season than some other former recruits Westry, Cruz, Gayle. Heck even veteran Andre Jackson for Uconn albeit on a better team only avg 6.6. There's some production with him, his Fr year was not a bust.

One of only 18 of the top 100 recruits to avg double figures.

Autry said space and pace, maybe we see a 3 guard lineup. If thats the case, there would be a role for Joe with QC and Taylor rotating in. If we go in that direction, need more depth at the G position. It has been lacking depth during the Buddy and Joe years. I remember 2 years ago, UVA played 6 or 7 Gs in a game against us, by comparison we had 3 on scholarship.

Good start for Adrian.

Last edited:
It makes recruiting a lot easier

The photoshop work gets cut down.

Limits the scanning needed for the portal window as well.

Lots of reasons to go with the letter J.

I love this quote from JJ..."I will most likely be a point guard and shooting guard, but I am willing to play whatever role is necessary for us to win games."

Sounds like Red had discussions with him about a 3 guard offense. That is the way of college basketball today. Almost everyone is running three guards. The game works from the outside in now. Traditional roles on the court have changed.

Can you imagine how fun a rotation of Judah, JJ, Joe, and Quadir at the three guard spots could be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom