JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

JJ put up pretty decent numbers. I believe he had two different nagging injuries throughout the season. He is even more explosive than what he showed this year.
When we played ND at The Dome, JJ had a sleeve on his elbow and tape all over both shoulders.

A few thoughts after reading 7 pages of this thread...

- I just don't see Joe coming back and accepting a reduced role after how he was utilized under Jim. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see it at all., which may be the best thing for everyone involved.

- Hopefully Copeland has an increased role next year. I would think that Red has already shared his vision for him, which hopefully means more playing time. Otherwise, I could see him leave but hopefully not - I love the idea of Cope along with JJ and Judah!

- I really like what Symir has done for the program while here, but I think it's time for upgraded talent. Provided that we have Mintz, JJ, Cope, and JT playing guard, I don't see a role for him any longer - which like Joe, is probably good for everyone involved.

- As a program, we all know Syracuse has a strong brand. However, it has gotten a bit stale and tired. Red looks like he will infuse some much needed energy and freshness to that brand. That in turn should pay dividends, like what we just saw with JJ.

- As excited as I am about JJ, now we just need to hold onto Judah and Jesse. Then, look out ACC.

Maybe Joe would move to a grad assistant role? Maybe four years of college basketball were enough and he wants to focus on Newhouse. I have no idea whether or not a GA has more free time than a player.

Yeah, imagine a Syracuse native going to Syracuse!

Crybaby morons. Must be scared.
Yeah, how does UNC look next year after losing those 4 experienced group of players? Could it be scary for them?

I would take Joe back. I expect to move to a lot of 3 guard lineups. He would get a lot of open shots.

Scoop took a reduced role his senior year. If he wants to win there's no reason he couldn't be a successful player playing 25 mpg.

Maybe Joe would move to a grad assistant role? Maybe four years of college basketball were enough and he wants to focus on Newhouse. I have no idea whether or not a GA has more free time than a player.
I doubt he has any interest in moving onto a GA role. He probably wants to at least try to player somewhere else- be it professional or in college.

Rumors of a Deshaun/Shump type situation there between a couple of their main guys.
Love and Bacot?

They had 6 former top 100 HS players on their bench. One already entered the portal so now down to 5, but they are bringing in Simeon Wilcher and Zayden High.

They will be short on experience, but there is talent there. Would have to think he gets a player or two in the portal.

If Hubert struggles next year then he will be on the hot seat regardless if he has Ian Jackson and Elliot Cadeau committed in 2024.

I would take Joe back. I expect to move to a lot of 3 guard lineups. He would get a lot of open shots.

Scoop took a reduced role his senior year. If he wants to win there's no reason he couldn't be a successful player playing 25 mpg.
Joe could be a deadly offensive weapon if we get the two big guns back with the addition of JJ. There will be open shots all over the place.

Love and Bacot?

They had 6 former top 100 HS players on their bench. One already entered the portal so now down to 5, but they are bringing in Simeon Wilcher and Zayden High.

They will be short on experience, but there is talent there. Would have to think he gets a player or two in the portal.

If Hubert struggles next year then he will be on the hot seat regardless if he has Ian Jackson and Elliot Cadeau committed in 2024.
Davis and Love is what I heard.

Right? Think about Dion’s freshman year - there were flashes but he was just ok and almost transferred….and then he exploded here as a soph. Part of that was opportunity, but part of it was he got better.
He also got in better shape. Dion was out-of-shape as a freshman.

I doubt he has any interest in moving onto a GA role. He probably wants to at least try to player somewhere else- be it professional or in college.
Joe is a basketball player. He will stop playing when he is physically unable to. Whether it is here, another college, China w/ Jimmer, Europe or the Albany Patroons. He will play.

When he is done, he will become a coach. It's almost his birthright. I would be shocked if he didn't follow his dream.

Not sure Joe's asthma would allow him to play more than 20 minutes under the style we are hoping for.
To play that up tempo, push the ball style AA is talking about requires getting some forwards who can rebound and control the glass. If you get beat on the boards you can't run. So next up, get some forwards who aren't skinny and can clean the defensive glass.

He averaged 11, not 5. Not 1.5(like Benny). 11.

Disappointing for him, but let’s put it in context.
I specifically mentioned Bell who averages seven

More of a 2 IMO but can play the point in a pinch. But if Judah leaves and he gets the summer to dedicate to switching to point I think he'd make the transition pretty easily.
From the little I've heard and the few times I saw him play this season he may have more of a 1's mentality than Judah. But JJ is a better shooter even if he didn't show it this season. Judah is a better driver and has a better mid range game. I think they'll fit together nicely with whatever Red has planned. He is another player that can get his own shot and that is always nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom