JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

I've heard rumors today. As of now, just that. Rumors. I sure hope not.

Uggh... man I sure hope not as well. Who was on his short list when we recruited? Wondering if he is getting his phone blown up? I see 247 shows DePaul, LaSalle, Maryland and Miami...

That'd be disappointing. He clearly isn't ready for the big time (I am sure he would admit that) and the guys ahead of him at guard are likely only staying for a year so that clears the way for 2 years at the helm if he chooses to stick around.

That being said, if Red intends to keep him at the 3 then I wouldn't be surprised at all if he decides to look elsewhere.

That'd be disappointing. He clearly isn't ready for the big time (I am sure he would admit that) and the guys ahead of him at guard are likely only staying for a year so that clears the way for 2 years at the helm if he chooses to stick around.

That being said, if Red intends to keep him at the 3 then I wouldn't be surprised at all if he decides to look elsewhere.

There were signs he might be ready come next year to make a big leap... signs which of course guarantees nothing but still.. his play end of the year was hard to miss... mostly good.

You know that's the thing that puzzles me. Cope could be a 3 but yet still bring the ball up multiple times to give the O a different look.

I agree. I'm saying bell has upside too (not as much). That's all. I'm very happy about starling. I'm just saying that it's easier to be optimistic about someone who you didn't watch miss all those shots.

Yes, and if Bell can handle being a "microwave" guy off the bench rather than a starter, I would like to keep him on the team. But if he's going to be a problem, or his famous dad is going to be a problem, then maybe he should go. We need shooters.

Maybe between him and Benny and Taylor we already have enough of them on the roster. But they are all so young, and have been so inconsistent. You have to be able to contribute in all aspects of the game - offense, defense and transition.

I would be more comfortable with one more guy who is an upperclassman who is a stud. These guys need a mature person who is used to winning at maybe a G5 level to help make them give better effort, or else they won't see the floor.

These guys have to play harder next year. During that losing stretch of games, if I had been Benny's teammate, we would have had some serious words after the crap effort he put forth in a couple of those games, not even trying to rebound or play defense.

You have to CARE, or else you don't play on my team. I hope that is Autry's mantra. He has the chance to completely change the culture. He played on some great teams. I hope he is as tough as a coach as he was as a player.

I'm just going to take that you heard he is staying. Good enough for me. Even if it isn't true.
If there is one “bad surprise” departure, I’ll take Q leaving if that means we keep Jesse. Of course one has no bearing on the other.

Hope not. I thought he started to figure it out late in the season. Really want him as a 1/3 next year.

Wonder if the Starling addition affects him.

Of course this could also be an indication that Judah returns. Losing him AND Judah would really hurt.

Hope not. I thought he started to figure it out late in the season. Really want him as a 1/3 next year.

Wonder if the Starling addition affects him.

Of course this could also be an indication that Judah returns. Losing him AND Judah would really hurt.
Q said he would stay, but that was before Starling committed.

Q would be perfect if we're running a 3-guard rotation because he's 6'6" and can easily guard 1-3.

Also, JJ and Judah will both be first rounders next year, and Q will start his junior year.

Q said he would stay, but that was before Starling committed.

Q would be perfect if we're running a 3-guard rotation because he's 6'6" and can easily guard 1-3.

Also, JJ and Judah will both be first rounders next year, and Q will start his junior year.
Copeland being the first reserve at three positions adds up to decent minutes every game.

Possible lineup:

Edwards 32 Hima 8
Williams 26 Brown 14
Bell 24 Brown 10 Copeland 6
Starling 20 Copeland 5 Taylor 15
Mintz 28 Starling 8 Copeland 6

Deep reserves Carey, Patterson, unknown other recruit or transfer. Open scholarship to premier walk-on.

If we press for any significant amount of time, will need to rotate frequently, and guys will be ready to come out every 3-4 minutes like hockey line changes.

Copeland would come out looking really good with this kind of opportunity.

Copeland being the first reserve at three positions adds up to decent minutes every game.

Possible lineup:

Edwards 32 Hima 8
Williams 26 Brown 14

Deep reserves Carey, Patterson, unknown other recruit or transfer. Open scholarship to premier walk-on.

If we press for any significant amount of time, will need to rotate frequently, and guys will be ready to come out every 3-4 minutes like hockey line changes.

I’d start him over Bell. He brings more to the table.

Possible lineup:

Edwards 32 Hima 8
Williams 26 Brown 14

Q will be a hero in CNY. I hope he doesn't make a shortsighted decision.

Honestly, it’s not a surprise. The guy was here literally forever. None of us know SU BB that doesn’t include JB. I’ve gone through a number of recent seasons in a daze, barely watching, not a ton of interest. I think it’s a shock even with the downward slide to have him really be gone. I think also going through a daze the last how many years I didn’t realize how bad things really had gotten, how far away we had gone from when I was younger. So I bet there’s a ton of fans that had fallen in the trap of this is who we are and that’s okay b/c JB is in charge.

They’ll change their thinking if BB becomes fun to watch again.
Some of us go back so far that we watched games before JB enrolled at SU.

Remember when Elijah Hughes came in from East Carolina after his freshman season where he scored less than 8 ppg and only shot 35% from the field and 27% from 3? What a miserable transfer that turned out to be for us.
Yeah, I remember well; I was one of the few posters who were optimistic about his potential contributions when many were doubtful. Elijah and JJ are in different situations.

Yeah, I remember well; I was one of the few posters who were optimistic about his potential contributions when many were doubtful. Elijah and JJ are in different situations.
Eli got a year of practicing under his belt before he played in a game. Plenty of indications he belonged his redshirt year.

Every indication is that JJ can make a huge freshman to sophomore jump. He could easily be our best player in Maui and we need some legit star power. We overall stunk against the top teams this year and for a .500 P5 team the last two seasons I can’t think of anyone who pulled off less upsets than us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom