Joe Girard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Joe starts next year, it will be more of the same. The problem is that I don't know if Boeheim will have it in him to un-start him OR if Joe will be able to handle that after being a starter for 2 years. He's used to being the man. It will be very interesting for sure. One thing we know, if Kadary isn't in the starting five, we have a serious problem.
Can only hope re: who starts, but deep down we know how that will play out.

I had this thought a few dys ago. Get him and he's not good enough, don't and it's "SU can't recruit in their own back yard ". I also agree that he really got hit by the lack of practice and Covid. Last year he could hit free throws with his eyes closed by muscle memory. People wanted him to get stronger but then his bulked up muscles just didn't want to work together.
How many people are complaining about us not landing Andrew Platek?

I had this thought a few dys ago. Get him and he's not good enough, don't and it's "SU can't recruit in their own back yard ". I also agree that he really got hit by the lack of practice and Covid. Last year he could hit free throws with his eyes closed by muscle memory. People wanted him to get stronger but then his bulked up muscles just didn't want to work together.
yeah dance with who brung ya is real...with 4 year players...kinda locks you into what you are for a while...for good and bad...waiting for more athletic gaurds a la howard-battle etc...its what JBs system needs. Not joe's fault...i like him as a player...but he just doesnt fit the role he needs to...and unless he transforms his body/athleticism somehow...he wont.

Joe was debilitated by covid this year. He has asthma. It affected his breathing and he was extremely exhausted. He couldn’t see people or interact. He got out of shape. He missed playing in front of people. I don’t know why we can’t see what he does next year. He had some great games last year and was the best darn free throw shooter on the team.
If this is the case then his minutes should have been adjusted accordingly.

Joe will get better and I’m glad he’s on Cuse.

He benefits from playing off the ball as a shooter. Thats one of the reasons Kadary’s important and why fans are frustrated watching the lineups as are

THIS.

Joe has been and can be a solid contributor to Syracuse.
He’s proven it on numerous occasions.

That said - he would be MUCH more effective playing about 20 mins a game, with Kadary & Buddy each getting 30.

Assuming we don’t lose Kadary, and/or pound the portal for another guard(s), we’re going to need all 3 of them.

Joe getting his ~:10 mins each half, with 5 spelling Buddy and the other 5 for Kadary, would maximize all of their games.

You’d get Joe off the ball, where he’s much more effective scoring.
And you’d dramatically reduce the Joe & Buddy backcourt pairing, which is by far our worst defensively.

There will be games when Joe is lights out and Buddy struggles, Joe needs more minutes in those games by generally speaking 10-15 minutes a game for him maximizes the effort all three can bring. I love watching Kadary play. Still think a fourth guard, development guy or fifth year senior who wants to step up to a big program as a role guy on a team with a chance to make a deep run would by great. Always want at least four guards. From what I saw Woody could develop into a darn good swing man if he stays and I hope he does for my own selfish reasons as i want all the talent on the Orange.

He benefits from playing off the ball as a shooter. Thats one of the reasons Kadary’s important and why fans are frustrated watching the lineups as are
How much better did he get from last year?

my biggest problem with girard is he doesnt let the game come to him. if he hasnt taken a shot in awhile hes gonna jack 1 up. if he makes a shot then next time down hes gonna have a heat check. or drive in the lane and be in no man’s land among the trees. you can see a bad girard shot or play coming from a mile away. he thinks hes better than he is alot of times.
And last night this kind of play cost us badly 3 times.

Twice, this kind of play ended our run, and resulted in a Houston run out to score. Momentum was precious and Joe ended it twice.

The third time was while it was still close in the 2nd, he jacked a 3, got it back, Buddy was at the corner, unguarded, and calling for a pass. Joe jacked another missed 3. A point guard has to ride the horse that brought you and make that pass. I think JB did yank him right after that for Kadary.

I like the kid and want him to be very successful at Syracuse, but these mistakes were predictable, as you note.

Didn’t someone already confirm he was struggling physically due to covid? He had a very good freshman year for a guard at Cuse. Im not ready to write him off because of an underwhelming sophomore campaign
Somebody suggested it, if that’s the case he should’ve sat, seems like an excuse more than anything

Get an excuse ready for next year, you’re going to see the same garbage. Picking up his dribble far too early, chucked shots with 28 seconds left on the shot clock, driving into a lane with his head down out for control with an air ball or being blocked, and the worst defense we’ve ever seen in the zone.

How does he improve those fundamentals of being a basketball player? His mindset and IQ are the big issue and add that with below average athleticism and being on the shorter size for defense, I just don’t buy it.

I gave my reasons why it won’t happen, and outside of the magical assumption he gets better because he’s a year older, what is he going to do different next year?

And last night this kind of play cost us badly 3 times.

Twice, this kind of play ended our run, and resulted in a Houston run out to score. Momentum was precious and Joe ended it twice.

The third time was while it was still close in the 2nd, he jacked a 3, got it back, Buddy was at the corner, unguarded, and calling for a pass. Joe jacked another missed 3. A point guard has to ride the horse that brought you and make that pass. I think JB did yank him right after that for Kadary.

I like the kid and want him to be very successful at Syracuse, but these mistakes were predictable, as you note.

those back to back missed 3s were killer.

joe's a solid player. i'm glad he came here. he saw his minutes slip quite a bit this season and dealt with it well. i think he puts team first me second. really needs to grasp concept D is equally important as O.

as for the haircut. please. if you piled all the hair from his chin, brows and pits onto his head he'd be taller roosevelt bouie.

Last edited:
There will be games when Joe is lights out and Buddy struggles, Joe needs more minutes in those games by generally speaking 10-15 minutes a game for him maximizes the effort all three can bring. I love watching Kadary play. Still think a fourth guard, development guy or fifth year senior who wants to step up to a big program as a role guy on a team with a chance to make a deep run would by great. Always want at least four guards. From what I saw Woody could develop into a darn good swing man if he stays and I hope he does for my own selfish reasons as i want all the talent on the Orange.
Yeah I agree, but I don't think Boeheim is ever going to go four deep in the backcourt. Ideally you'd have Buddy getting 25-30 minutes at the 2, Girard getting the other 10-15, and Kadary getting 30-35 at the 1, with a backup who is a true point guard getting the other 5-10.

Every now and then you'd slide Buddy to the 3 with Kadary and Girard at the 1 and 2, when matchups or hot hands dictated.

You really can't have an out of position 2 playing the 1 for 5-10 minutes in a big game against a team like Houston, or any of the other physical aggressive man-to-man teams that have gotten us in the tourney over the years. The lack of a handle and the bad decisions do too much damage.

But as is often the case, it's a pipe dream. Boeheim is Boeheim, for better and for worse. I think the most frustrating thing with his blind spots is knowing what a great basketball mind he has, and watching him consistently fall into the same silly patterns that cost him/them/us year after year.

But as is often the case, it's a pipe dream. Boeheim is Boeheim, for better and for worse. I think the most frustrating thing with his blind spots is knowing what a great basketball mind he has, and watching him consistently fall into the same silly patterns that cost him/them/us year after year.
some people here wanted more bench all season. we started winning when he used more bench.

He should. JB is loyal to his guys though so it’s hard to imagine him cutting down JGs role at all
JB wants to win above all else. If he thinks playing Kadary 30+ minutes per game will help us win, he will do that. Did people on here complain about Dion only averaging 29mpg as a sophomore? No. Because we were winning. That said, Kadary will start and play significant minutes next season. He’s gonna improve a lot with a year of off-season development.

JB wants to win above all else. If he thinks playing Kadary 30+ minutes per game will help us win, he will do that. Did people on here complain about Dion only averaging 29mpg as a sophomore? No. Because we were winning. That said, Kadary will start and play significant minutes next season. He’s gonna improve a lot with a year of off-season development.
How many times in 40+ years has a two year starter started on the bench their third year under Jim?

exactly. A guy I know that has very reliable sources said Kadary was unhappy but should be back. But, there’s a real fear that Joe transfers. Conversation came up unsolicited twice

But why are people frustrated about minutes late in the season when everything has been going so well? What we’ve been doing and who we’ve been playing was working until we ran into the defensive juggernaut of Houston. And Joe only played 23 minutes last night. Kadary would have played more than 23 himself but he’s been battling tendinitis. He was visibly limping in our first two ncaa games. Once he gets healthy and with expected off-season improvement, Kadary will be the starter next season. That seems obvious to me. His jumper already looks better. JB knows we need a PG who can get into the lane and score off the dribble, and Kadary is that guy. Why all the consternation from so many people?

some people here wanted more bench all season. we started winning when he used more bench.
Right, but does anyone think he's going to start going 8-9 deep as a basic strategy next year? Cause that's what playing four guards would mean.

It's the same thing with the starters always starting the second half, or a starter getting to start and getting the quick hook if they do something he doesn't like. That's classic Boeheim and never going to change.

I often wonder what would happen if earlier in the year, he gave someone a quick hook, told them exactly why, sat next to them on the bench and pointed out somebody else doing the right thing in that spot, then put them back in 2-3 minutes later. Some kids don't respond to his personality and style, so we seem to lose guys earlier to the pro level than we should or we sweat out the transfer portal.

Imagine if he tried to adjust his style a bit to the players. These aren't the old days where every program more or less had guys locked in for a few years and the kids had to adjust to him. They have options now.

How many times in 40+ years has a two year starter started on the bench their third year under Jim?
Not exact comparisons. But Josh Wright, Allen Griffin, Michael Edwards, Matt Roe and lots of other guys moved to the bench after starting when we brought in a guy or developed a player who was better than them. Triche still started as a junior but got less minutes than Dion, and Joe isn’t as good an overall player as Triche.

Did people on here complain about Dion only averaging 29mpg as a sophomore?
Umm, yes? We had the fourth overall pick in the draft and he started 0 games for us, averaged 24 minutes, and backed up Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche.

The fourth overall pick.

exactly. A guy I know that has very reliable sources said Kadary was unhappy but should be back. But, there’s a real fear that Joe transfers. Conversation came up unsolicited twice
Hmmm... I do hope Joe stays patient when KR becomes the starter. He has three more years of eligibility left. It’s not like Joe has an NBA career in the cards. He’s a local kid who will still get playing time even if he doesn’t start. He can start at shooting guard once Buddy and Kadary are gone to pro careers.

Last edited:
I could totally see Joe leaving. I don't think a 2 year starter is going to be okay coming off the bench. I don't think Boeheim would want to do that. This is all complete speculation but like two3zone asked earlier, how many times has that happened under Boeheim. Has it EVER happened?

edit: just to be clear, I REALLY hope he doesn't leave. Joe coming in for 15-20 minutes could be a great help to the team. However, I just don't see that being very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom