Joe's PER double Starling's , what does it say about offenses | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Joe's PER double Starling's , what does it say about offenses

They don't get it. We literally saw Joe on this same team WITH Jesse last year. It didn't work. Joe is a fine 5th year SG. Anyone suggesting otherwise doesnt really know what they are talking about. Still feel he's not a P5 Starting PG.
I saw Taylor, Copeland, Bell stink last year for us then saw Starling and McLeod stink for single digit win teams and we thought that was an improvement?

Without Jesse and Joe last year I doubt we win any games.

Nobody thinks Joe is a point guard.

I saw Taylor, Copeland, Bell stink last year for us then saw Starling and McLeod stink for single digit win teams and we thought that was an improvement?

So you're saying we shouldn't have pursued Starling.

We have a better record this year at this time than we did last year. Soooooo...

"Nobody". I mean, I could bump posts by why bother.

I'll give you last word.

So you're saying we shouldn't have pursued Starling.
In hindsight yes, but no, it wasn’t a bad move, but I would’ve brought him in as a 6th man at best, he wasn’t good last year. If by chance Judah leaves and the freshman isn’t ready, you prepared for a year with JJ running the show? I’m sure as hell not, and he shouldn’t be playing more than 25 minutes a game right now let alone 35.

In hindsight yes, but no, it wasn’t a bad move, but I would’ve brought him in as a 6th man at best, he wasn’t good last year. If by chance Judah leaves and the freshman isn’t ready, you prepared for a year with JJ running the show? I’m sure as hell not, and he shouldn’t be playing more than 25 minutes a game right now let alone 35.
Do you think this year's team is better than last year?

We have a better record this year at this time than we did last year. Soooooo...

"Nobody". I mean, I could bump posts by why bother.

I'll give you last word.
So we’re better with McLeod than Jesse? I guess I don’t know what you mean, we weren’t bad because of them. We were bad because the freshman were awful, we started and gave minutes to a glorified walk-on for a good portion of the season. All records aren’t created equal.

Like last year we’ve beaten nobody, we almost lost to a really bad Colgate this year and got boatraced by the worst Virginia team in a decade.

Why are mintz and starling taking 44% of our two point shots?

Hall and Girard are taking 20% of their 2 pt shots

I'm worried that Autry doesn't get it

Mintz and starling are not good shooters ok fine. That doesn't mean they have to take more bad two point shots. They could just shoot less.

Autry is from a different era and we have two guys who play like him

If starling was the best we could do, ok, we will see what he does with high school recruits he develops

But I think we will need fresh offensive eyes sooner or later
Because we drive the ball and they can both get to the rack.

Beating Oregon by 20 on a neutral court is a very good win. And Pitt is a good team.
Pitt is down 10 points at home 7 minutes into the game against Duke….they are about to go to 1-4 in the ACC (last place with Louisville)

The Oregon game sneaks into a Quad 1 if they keep playing well. Although they were missing some guys nobody on a committee will remember that.

Pitt is down 10 points at home 7 minutes into the game against Duke….they are about to go to 1-4 in the ACC (last place with Louisville)

The Oregon game sneaks into a Quad 1 if they keep playing well. Although they were missing some guys nobody on a committee will remember that.
Pitt is a good team. Tournament team? Maybe, maybe not

I’ve also been wondering this, but doubt it will ever truly come out. I mean did it go……

1.) Joe, thank you for your 4 years here, if you want to come back you will have to compete for your starting spot
2.) Joe, we are not sure about your M2M defensive ability, so you might not start/play very much
3.) Joe, we have had interest from JJ who was a former 5* so we are bringing him in
4.) Joe, we respectfully feel you should just look elsewhere to continue your basketball journey
5.) Joe, if you feel you can contribute as instant offense off the bench we would love to have you back as an older/leader figure on this team

******or did Joe decide to just leave after JAB wasn’t going to be the coach any longer*****
I think the other factor to add to #3 is that we would get 1 more year of Joe compared to several years of what we thought JJ could be.

It does.

Judah is at 57% TS% with the burden he bears. Joe is at 63% (and to be clear, kudos to him), but for what Judah is asked to do with our team, 57% is dang good and third highest on the team out of anyone that plays, including being behind Maliq (makes sense why he is the highest) and Naheem (who, let's be real, may have a high TS%, but is super limited elsewhere).

For reference (and this isn't a knock on Joe), but he had 50%, 48% and 56% leading up to this year where he jumped. Again, which is much more a commentary on the program prior than anything else.

Back to Judah -- this team needs to get points in this order: rim, FTs, threes and then whatever occasional jump shot occurs. He has to attack, attack, attack. I am sure Judah would shoot less of the shots he currently takes if he had guys that could reliably just hit a three, let alone dribble more than twice and make the defense really feel fear.

But that's not the case. We need to get other teams in foul trouble so we are shooting the penalty early and then we need to make our FTs.

BTW, Chris Bell's TS% this year is 49%. His career is 51%. He's started every single game. That is nuts. I can go on with others, but just using him as an example.

It's Judah, then Maliq, then a pool of, at best, inconsistent guys and, at worst, guys that shouldn't be in our rotation.
Good Post

Last three games he’s averaging 8.3 pts, 2.3 rbs, 1.3 ast, 1 stl, .7 turn, on 3-11 from three in 36 minueted a game. That’s not good.

Games 4 and 5 were pretty good though...

Reactions: CIL
We have a great test to learn from this year.

Why is Girard so much better and what can we learn from it?

Lazy people will just say, bah, Clemson is more talented
I have watched most of the Clemson games this year and Joe is playing well. His scoring average is about the same as last year but his shot selection is much better. He is on a very balanced team and not forcing shots, few if any shots from the logo. He has been playing extended minutes because of some injuries. He is not the primary ball handler like he was for 3 years a SU. Good for him! Clemson is a good team.

Fair, Oregon is a solid team and they slipped my mind, but they were also down 4 guys. I wouldn’t say Pitt is good.
You literally posted yesterday that you thought Pitts a talented team.

We have a great test to learn from this year.

Why is Girard so much better and what can we learn from it?

Lazy people will just say, bah, Clemson is more talented
Its talent and system. We ask our guards to create offense. Joe can slide in there and play less minutes and have the ball in his hands less. They use him for his strong points as a catch and shoot player. When used properly his efficiency has improved drastically.

Ser Davos Jon Snow GIF by BuzzFeed

He's the 3rd or 4th best player on the team right now. Other than not being a great shooter he has played fine. If JJ had just 5 more made 3 pointers on the year he would be shooting 39% from 3 and it still wouldn't have made a difference in our win loss record. The problem with this years roster has been the lack of production from the forwards and center outside of Brown. 3 of our starters wouldn't see the floor, let alone start for a top 25 team.

He's the 3rd or 4th best player on the team right now. Other than not being a great shooter he has played fine. If JJ had just 5 more made 3 pointers on the year he would be shooting 39% from 3 and it still wouldn't have made a difference in our win loss record. The problem with this years roster has been the lack of production from the forwards and center outside of Brown. 3 of our starters wouldn't see the floor, let alone start for a top 25 team.
The third or fourth best player on this team isn’t much to brag about, there is a big drop off after number two.

Fair, Oregon is a solid team and they slipped my mind, but they were also down 4 guys. I wouldn’t say Pitt is good.
6 guys, and many of their best players at that.

The offense is bad and the defense is mediocre. The offense lacks any real motion

Taylor cant find his own shot? Maybe you run some off ball screens to free him up.

JJ and Judah struggling from the 3? Don't play them with two other guys who also cant hit threes in Benny and Quadir, just clogs up the paint with defenders.

When you run the pick and roll, pass to the roller once to make a roll a real threat and not just an exercise in futility.

The defense is more-or-less the same as last year. They give up far too many open threes, and if the teams hit any of them Syracuse cannot compete.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom