Jonathan Thomas to Saftey? | Syracusefan.com

Jonathan Thomas to Saftey?

CuseMan4

Starter
With our lack of depth and size in the secondary why not give him a shot at Saftey. He is undersized for a linebacker but would be a decent sized Saftey and has some speed. He wouldn't be the fastest Saftey but I definitely think he would be better than some of the Safties we have now, not to mention he would be a hard hitting Saftey. Thoughts?

Think moving Thomas to strong safety is a great idea and will probably happen.

I know it wont help us next year, but does anyone know if Babers is pursuing Marquis Blair?

Interesting options. One thing about Morris or McFarland have they already graduated? if they have, they could go somewhere and possibly start at RB for that school immediately or at least get more reps at RB.

Interesting options. One thing about Morris or McFarland have they already graduated? if they have, they could go somewhere and possibly start at RB for that school immediately or at least get more reps at RB.

They weren't listed as graduating Seniors.

Either they didn't have enough credit hours to graduate, or they were planning on coming back anyways.

They weren't listed as graduating Seniors.

Either they didn't have enough credit hours to graduate, or they were planning on coming back anyways.

Thanks OX, I'm never really sure how that falls most of the time.

You would have to think that out of Morris Mcfarland and Perkins one or more get moved. Strickland and JF are the best backs and i expect them to carry the load. My bet would be on Mcfarland and Perkins

I like Thomas east west but I'm not sure about his north south. Still, a very good idea that should be looked at. I still don't know what to think about Hodge as he really seemed to struggle this past year.

Why? He was our best corner--by far.
Think more so his skill set and fit in a Tampa 2 type defense. I would have him roam free and make plays on the ball.

Its hard to transition from LB to SS. Players on the team I think can do it is players like Perkins and Strickland. If there is a LB that can get away with it it's probably Bennett. He is athletic and looks very comfortable in space.

Its hard to transition from LB to SS. Players on the team I think can do it is players like Perkins and Strickland. If there is a LB that can get away with it it's probably Bennett. He is athletic and looks very comfortable in space.
Bennett? Noooo. Bennett is much more LB size and speed. Thomas is prototypical safety size and is faster than Bennett. I think that would be a very good switch to make.

Bennett? Noooo. Bennett is much more LB size and speed. Thomas is prototypical safety size and is faster than Bennett. I think that would be a very good switch to make.
Thomas is more stiffer than you think. He a muscular 6'1 LB but he is stiff in space. Bennett is bigger but he is more athletic. IMO. I dont think any of them are safeties honestly. I rather take a corner and build him up rather than take a LB and teach them to play over a cover 2 shell. Running and breaking at angles in space is alot different at safety. They have to cover ACC slot WR's down the field. If I had to make a choice between LB's I will trust Bennett in the secondary. He can drop some weight (about 10 pounds) He covers ground and he tackles better. Thomas has only played 4 years of football. Still learning.

Last edited:
Thomas is more stiffer than you think. He a muscular 6'1 LB but he is stiff in space. Bennett is bigger but he is more athletic. IMO. I dont think any of them are safeties honestly. I rather take a corner and build him up rather than take a LB and teach them to play over a cover 2 shell. Running and breaking at angles in space is alot different at safety. They have to cover ACC slot WR's down the field. If I had to make a choice between LB's I will trust Bennett in the secondary. He can drop some weight (about 10 pounds) He covers ground and he tackles better. Thomas has only played 4 years of football. Still learning.
As a safety, Bennett would need to improve his open-field tackling ability.

Bennett is a lb all day but he does get hurt quite a bit. I jate to be negative about one of our own players but i hope we have someone beat put hodge next year.

One guy I wouldn't be stunned if they look at for a potential move to safety is Shy. He's the fastest LB on the team, and could easily play back there at about 6-1, 220, which would be fan-freaking-tastic. But I don't think it'll happen, I assume he'll stick at OLB.

One guy I wouldn't be stunned if they look at for a potential move to safety is Shy. He's the fastest LB on the team, and could easily play back there at about 6-1, 220, which would be fan-freaking-tastic. But I don't think it'll happen, I assume he'll stick at OLB.
I havent seen enough of Shy in a game but I would imagine he could get away with it too. I hear he's a freak.

This guy?

tumblr_mjmejmCEZu1qz7jaro1_400.jpg

If we are being honest that's NFL size at the safety position that Shy has. I know he's a damn athletic freak so I imagine speed wise he would be fine. But you are asking a guy who attacks the LOS like a psychopath and is a QB killer to all of a sudden play the game going backwards instead of forwards. I don't know how he would handle the transition and I have no idea what his base coverage skills look like.

Shy seems to be one of the hardest working kids on the team (at least from what I glean from Bam anyways) and I'm sure if anybody could be trusted to put in the work necessary it would be Shy.

It's a move I'd be curious to see. Given the LB corps is the best unit talentwise on our team it makes sense to pilfer from our strength to aid a weakness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom