Jordan Fredericks to transfer to UMass | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Fredericks to transfer to UMass

And that's fine. You know and the employer knows litigation is always a possibility, no matter what the reason.

JF knew the situation going in. Regardless whether or not the player signed because of the coach, they did indeed sign the contract with the school. It's the chance all players take.
Like indentured servants or serfs or share croppers .

No. They get a four year education at a very expensive private university. And as for being pushed out that isn't necessarily true either. They can't take their scholarship away unless they aren't fulfilling their academic obligations or break rules. They may only see the scout team but that is their decision of whether or not to stay or go.

My one nephew was recruited for swimming. He swam in HS on a team that won the state championship and he received numerous medals. He got into an Ivy because of his swimming. The first two years on the team were ok but then other kids were recruited who swam faster and he saw less and less of the pool. It wasn't the reality he had envisioned. Heck he dreamed of going to the Olympics. Fortunately he is a smart kid and he got a great education in engineering and now has a job he loves.

Kids have a choice. No one forced them to sign on the dotted line. In return, they get a free education, room and board, etc. Don't try to make it out that they are put-upon and downtrodden. I would have killed to get half of what they get.

It didn't work out. That's all. He decided to move on. I wish him all the luck in the world wherever he lands.

Kids have a choice. No one forced them to sign on the dotted line. In return, they get a free education, room and board, etc. Don't try to make it out that they are put-upon and downtrodden. I would have killed to get half of what they get.

It didn't work out. That's all. He decided to move on. I wish him all the luck in the world wherever he lands.
I agree, the kids do have a choice. I also feel it stinks that when the coaches that recruited them are no longer there ( the reason they picked the school in the first place) they are not allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year. So it goes. Maybe that is some thing NCAA can change in the future. Until next year, have a great off season. Go Cuse

I am curios to know if any restrictions were placed on him. If so what?
The NCAA rule is that a player can't transfer from a D1 program to another D1 program without having to sit for one year. ..unless he is a graduate transfer. Also sometimes schools will restrict a player who does transfer to another D1 program from transferring to another school within the same conference. It would be part of the agreement of their release from their scholarship.

No. They get a four year education at a very expensive private university. And as for being pushed out that isn't necessarily true either. They can't take their scholarship away unless they aren't fulfilling their academic obligations or break rules. They may only see the scout team but that is their decision of whether or not to stay or go.

My one nephew was recruited for swimming. He swam in HS on a team that won the state championship and he received numerous medals. He got into an Ivy because of his swimming. The first two years on the team were ok but then other kids were recruited who swam faster and he saw less and less of the pool. It wasn't the reality he had envisioned. Heck he dreamed of going to the Olympics. Fortunately he is a smart kid and he got a great education in engineering and now has a job he loves.

Strickland and Neal weren't swimming faster than Fredericks

The NCAA rule is that a player can't transfer from a D1 program to another D1 program without having to sit for one year. ..unless he is a graduate transfer. Also sometimes schools will restrict a player who does transfer to another D1 program from transferring to another school within the same conference. It would be part of the agreement of their release from their scholarship.
wow. I wonder why coaches make that a part of their agreement ? You don't want them, don't like them, they don't fit in for whatever reason but coaches are concerned about playing against them? Man up. It shouldn't matter. I've heard Oh they know our schemes. I thought plans change year to year? I appreciate your information.

Maybe not in your assessment but they were in the eyes of the coaches.

My reference was to on the field performance. I think the coaching decision was based on something else.

Works at schools like Harvard but as UNC proves - not always the case in the big time sports at big time schools. Event the snobby academic bastions like UNC.

wow. I wonder why coaches make that a part of their agreement ? You don't want them, don't like them, they don't fit in for whatever reason but coaches are concerned about playing against them? Man up. It shouldn't matter. I've heard Oh they know our schemes. I thought plans change year to year? I appreciate your information.
Scheme paranoia is probably the main reason, but players transferring to upcoming opponents adds in additional variables and distractions that the coaches just might not want to deal with. Mostly having to do with the players friends (or rivals) that remained on the team treating the game differently than the rest, putting individual battles above team goals, etc.

Acc actually has rules on this separate from schools

Works at schools like Harvard but as UNC proves - not always the case in the big time sports at big time schools. Event the snobby academic bastions like UNC.
They might get pushed off the team, but as long as a player doesn't do something stupid (smoke dope), the school is legally bound to honor that 4 year scholarship.

You mean like practice, team meetings, coaches' meetings, game/play reviews?

...or whatever. It wasn't his ability to run the football. That's for sure.

We lost a good running back. This is the one move by Dino I didn't understand, but I absolutely trust him.

Hope it's Indiana/Maryland/Purdue or Illinois.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom