Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 104 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a good chance that he will make more $$ coming back to Syracuse than what he will get staying in the draft this year. This is where NIL really helps kids. But it does make their decision more difficult. Without NIL, there would be no decision to make.
If the mock drafts are accurate, this is true, and probably not all that close.

The mocks don’t have to be off by much for it to end up not being true though and that’s what really makes it tricky.

There is a good chance that he will make more $$ coming back to Syracuse than what he will get staying in the draft this year. This is where NIL really helps kids. But it does make their decision more difficult. Without NIL, there would be no decision to make.

Yeah, if he goes now, it's likely more about getting paid now and not risking getting injured next year and not going 1st round.

...but yeah, in a perfect world, he stays another year, gets a NIL bag, doesn't get injured, goes first round in next year's draft, and makes bank in with a 1st round draft bag.

I know we're being sensitive to the reality that folks that know Judah are commenting here, but I don't think that's a good situation for Judah at all.

He's the best guard we've had in a long time. His talent merits better than fighting things out on a two way deal.

That's the best opportunity Cole and Buddy had.

Judah is on a different level. If he ends up on the same two way contract path, I'm going to be bummed for him. He has it in him to be a guy that gets his name called in the first round and the guaranteed deals associated with that.
Agree with you OIG. But if he wants the first round, he's going to have to come back and wait for next year.

Right now to see him compared to Miller and Sensabaugh just because of scoring is a little apples and oranges. Not the same scenario on each players team and position.

I just have the feeling he wants the NBA so badly that if it's 50:50 or even slightly less, he's gone.

Yeah, if he goes now, it's likely more about getting paid now and not risking getting injured next year and not going 1st round.

...but yeah, in a perfect world, he stays another year, gets a NIL bag, doesn't get injured, goes first round in next year's draft, and makes bank in with a 1st round draft bag.
I would presume he's trying to get a guarantee of a guaranteed (2- 3- or 4-year) contract in the $3-6m range, versus a 2-way, which is far less ($500k?). It'll be tough after pick 40, and he's projected to go in the 50+ range, with some as high as 43 (?).

Would Carmelo come back for another year if NIL was around then?
Boeheim told him "you have to go - nothing more to prove/do here" but... could he have stayed?
I don't believe JB telling him it was time to go or Carmelo wanting to stay had anything to do with money and simply that he was ready for the NBA in Jim's mind.

I don't believe JB telling him it was time to go or Carmelo wanting to stay had anything to do with money and simply that he was ready for the NBA in Jim's mind.
It's funny. We used to wonder about a guy who was the #3 pick in the draft coming back and now we wonder about someone that may not get drafted. My thing against the GLeague is yeah you get to devote full time to basketball. But you are competing against your teammates as much as competing with your teammates. Everyone else on your team has one goal, getting to the NBA before you.

Would Carmelo come back for another year if NIL was around then?
Boeheim told him "you have to go - nothing more to prove/do here" but... could he have stayed?

No, I don't think he would have. Most everybody thought Carmelo would go top 2 [he ended up going third, in a mild surprise].

That's a LOT different than what we're discussing for Judah vis a vis NIL / being a 2nd round pick / being drafted at all.

Judah has feedback that we (or most of us) do not have access to. Part of becoming an adult is to make landmark life decisions.

I hope that whatever decision he makes turns out to be a home run for him…to insert a metaphor from an entirely different sport. If he decides to take that next step in his life and career, we will all root crazy for him.

Our SU guys all leave the nest eventually, the best ones sooner than others. These days, the roster is and will continue to be a revolving door on an annual basis. With early departures, the portal, etc., the sport has simply changed in a major way. I mean, two years ago, who would have predicted that Benny would be our longest-tenured player, and Joe and Jesse would still be playing college ball but not at SU? Just goes to show you.

Best wishes on your decision, Judah. Forever Orange #3.
Not me, I want him back playing for SU for all the same reasons you posted.

But if he wants the first round, he's going to have to come back and wait for next year.

I just have the feeling he wants the NBA so badly that if it's 50:50 or even slightly less, he's gone.
Agree . He's not a first-round pick this year, but when a kid wants it so badly coupled with self-serving agents selling the now, I'd be surprised if he comes back to college. Hope he does - I want another year out of my #3 Mintz jersey - but if he goes, I hope he finds the right situation.

No. Most everybody thought Carmelo would go top 2 [he ended up going third, in a mild surprise].

That's a LOT different than what we're discussing for Judah vis a vis NIL / being a 2nd round pick / being drafted at all.
So Carmelo was like ... Brandon Miller (without the extracurriculars).
Who, ironically, played on a team that lost in the Sweet 16 - and didn't win it all - and won their conference championship...

Agree . He's not a first-round pick this year, but when a kid wants it so badly coupled with self-serving agents selling the now, I'd be surprised if he comes back to college. Hope he does - I want another year out of my #3 Mintz jersey - but if he goes, I hope he finds the right situation.
he's leaving money on the table in his first contract if he leaves.
And, as we know, nothing is guaranteed (especially NBA tenure).

Look at the careers of 2nd round folks on Basketball Reference (I mentioned this earlier in the thread). You can quickly cycle through the years on the top of the page below "2010 NBA Draft", etc.

The concerning thing I took from Judah's statement is that "he can hang with these guys" at the combine and tryouts. Most of the guys he played against at the combine and most try out sessions at this point aren't going to end up in the NBA. Some will, most won't.
Agree 100% should be best player on floor in that group. Its why Prosper just played 1 day

The mocks don’t have to be off by much for it to end up not being true though and that’s what really makes it tric

The mocks don’t have to be off by much for it to end up not being true though and that’s what really makes it tricky.
Usually 1st rounds are pretty solid although typically a number of guys slip, trades happen and random unknown guys get picked. 2nd round is a free for all, where teams can take a risk or flyer.

It's funny. We used to wonder about a guy who was the #3 pick in the draft coming back and now we wonder about someone that may not get drafted. My thing against the GLeague is yeah you get to devote full time to basketball. But you are competing against your teammates as much as competing with your teammates. Everyone else on your team has one goal, getting to the NBA before you.
I don’t think this is all that different from college anymore either. Everyone is trying to get to the league, which is part of the reason we see a million transfers each off-season now.

Earn money play in the G-League
Earn money play in ACC

Those are his choices.

We should remember - 95% of college players do NOT get seriously injured in any given season.

If Jon Rothstein was half as hungry as he says he is, we would have known Judah's decision by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom