Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point do Symir reconsider if Mintz is gone? My guess is Symir will decide long before June12. Still I have a difficult time seeing HCAA portalling a guard who could contribute more with the uncertainty of Mintz.
It's May 31st for Mintz to decide on coming back I believe. June 12th is the date to withdraw from the draft, but waiting that long would mean he has to go pro one way or another; he loses college eligibility if he doesn't withdraw before the end of May.

At any rate, I think Symir would be looking at limited playing time either way as Copeland would likely move ahead of him on the depth chart and I imagine Syracuse will want a better guard than Symir anyways.

At what point do Symir reconsider if Mintz is gone? My guess is Symir will decide long before June12. Still I have a difficult time seeing HCAA portalling a guard who could contribute more with the uncertainty of Mintz.
just remember 60 something % of top 100 portal players avergaged double figures this year...

there's a ton of talent out there ready to transfer...

definitely would be nice to keep the team together and see the eligible players come back...but if they don't there are a lot of alternatives out there

This had to happen; from his perspective. The best HCAA can do is support him and plan for whatever might happen; embrace his return, if that occurs and have quality replacement ready should he not!
Like it or not, this is how Judah obtains the necessary feedback to make his next move; like all of us, he has free will and aligning that free will with what is best for us;in this case him!

Last edited:
It is easier to draft and stash for NBA clubs now with the G League. Only takes one club willing to bet on Judah adding to his game and developing. How much does Judah enjoy and /or value his SU education?

It is easier to draft and stash for NBA clubs now with the G League. Only takes one club willing to bet on Judah adding to his game and developing. How much does Judah enjoy and /or value his SU education?
yeah but why would a player want to be "stashed" in the G league?

being a first round pick is a much better long term prospect than being stashed

i think the real question is how ambitious Judah is

does he wanna just technically be considered as an "NBA player" or does he wanna make his mark in the NBA? i think killing it next year in NCAA and becoming a lottery pick is the way that could happen.

It's May 31st for Mintz to decide on coming back I believe. June 12th is the date to withdraw from the draft, but waiting that long would mean he has to go pro one way or another; he loses college eligibility if he doesn't withdraw before the end of May.

At any rate, I think Symir would be looking at limited playing time either way as Copeland would likely move ahead of him on the depth chart and I imagine Syracuse will want a better guard than Symir anyways.

It's a lot more than that. The difference between the 1st round and the 2ud round is staggering. Guaranteed money for 3 years if you go in the 1st round. I don't know what will happen but if I had to bet, it would be that he withdraws and comes back for another year at Syracuse.

This 1000%

In the new world of NIL, this is a pivotal moment. Cuse needs to find a way to get these borderline NBA players to stay for another year whenever possible. Especially if it helps the player's career to stay another year. If Judah works out well, it will get us more players like that in the future
Good thing the Hill is doing everything they can not to burn bridges with certain benefactors.

yeah but why would a player want to be "stashed" in the G league?

being a first round pick is a much better long term prospect than being stashed

i think the real question is how ambitious Judah is

does he wanna just technically be considered as an "NBA player" or does he wanna make his mark in the NBA? i think killing it next year in NCAA and becoming a lottery pick is the way that could happen.
I do think with a guy like Judah part of the calculus could be whether he thinks he'll develop better as an end of bench/g league guy practicing and getting court time with other players all trying to keep their jobs but with a longer season, or whether he'll better develop as the focal point and primary ball handler for a high profile college program but with a shorter season.

I dont think he goes pro as he will make good nil money either at Su or another school.

As to SU we will have JJ and Cope with Taylor as a two. Cope and JJ can split PG if needed and we can pick up another G in the portal if Judah doesnt return. I think Joe moves on

All it takes is one eval to say “he might go end of round 1” or the famed “guarantee by a team” and he’s gone

General fyi, since there appears to be a misconception on draft position guarantees in the NBA when drafted in the second round. There is now guaranteed money in the 2nd round for guys taken on the higher end of that round. For instance, in the 2021 draft class more than 10 players received a 2 year or more guaranteed contract for salary at or above the league minimum (which is just over 1 million per year).

While I agree that he is better off getting drafted in the 1st round with slot money and a two year guarantee with 2 years of options, the reality is that the front end of the 2nd round is worth about 1.25 to 1.75 million per year for 2 years guaranteed at this point. Just a thought as I don't think he needs to hear a 1st round promise to stay in the draft.

Having said that, I believe the smarter longer-term economic play is to wait a year, go higher and increase his slot money which provides more economic benefit over the first four years of his career. It would also be much nicer if NIL could pony up a nice deal in order to reduce the short-term salary hit and the possible risks he will take on by staying another year.

This declare and retain eligibility thing didn’t exist then
It definitely did for Wallace. I remember him declaring for the draft after his Junior year. I wanted my Lakers to pick him late round 1. Then he decided to withdraw his name and come back to school, which he was allowed to do because he didn’t sign with an agent.

He is gone folks, unless he comes back. Let’s root for him either way, and get another guard in the process.

Granted, a draft pick is sometimes an investment in a future beyond the immediate next season.
But do people really think that Judah Mintz is NBA-ready now?

Granted, a draft pick is sometimes an investment in a future beyond the immediate next season.
But do people really think that Judah Mintz is NBA-ready now?
no, they can't. he's not...

I have little doubt that he will be at some point in the future though

Is it "bashing" to think he isn't ready right now???
I dont think it is. i see it more as "voice of reason"

I think it might be hard, actually, for a player to have an honest perspective about themselves and where they stand in the landscape...even just to be informed and knowledgable about how everything works etc...can take fans decades to wrap their heads around well.

Mike Waters was on Orange Nation before he announced and said he expected him to test the waters, but thought he’d return next year. The early indications currently is he’s a second round pick. If he came back I could see him go late lottery.

He would have to show significant improvement and new skill development rather than just gradual improvement to go from his current status to late lottery.

Late lottery seems possible but quite unlikely in my view even in a much weaker 2023 draft.

Last edited:
Quincy wanted to play a different role. A role that didn't take advantage of his ability as a rebounder and face up scorer in the paint. Clearly not the best move.

You can't really call it the wrong move either.

In the role he was playing in Syracuse he wasn't heading anywhere either (NBA wise) He had an effective sophomore season yet the NBA didn't want to even give him a sniff.

Arguably the better move for him was to try to go somewhere that would potentially help him expand his game or showcase certain things. He took a risk -- it didn't help him because he didn't have those skills.

In the end, his NBA end game is likely the same whether it involved Syracuse or Oregon.

Last edited:
General fyi, since there appears to be a misconception on draft position guarantees in the NBA when drafted in the second round. There is now guaranteed money in the 2nd round for guys taken on the higher end of that round. For instance, in the 2021 draft class more than 10 players received a 2 year or more guaranteed contract for salary at or above the league minimum (which is just over 1 million per year).

While I agree that he is better off getting drafted in the 1st round with slot money and a two year guarantee with 2 years of options, the reality is that the front end of the 2nd round is worth about 1.25 to 1.75 million per year for 2 years guaranteed at this point. Just a thought as I don't think he needs to hear a 1st round promise to stay in the draft.

Having said that, I believe the smarter longer-term economic play is to wait a year, go higher and increase his slot money which provides more economic benefit over the first four years of his career. It would also be much nicer if NIL could pony up a nice deal in order to reduce the short-term salary hit and the possible risks he will take on by staying another year.
AD7BA523-7DE8-486F-B50C-496717EC8FEF.gif

You can't really call it the wrong move either.

In the role he was playing in Syracuse he wasn't heading anywhere either. He had an effective sophomore season yet the NBA didn't want to even give him a sniff.

Arguably the best move for him was to try to go somewhere that would potentially help him expand his game and develop him into an NBA player. He took a risk -- it didn't help him.

In the end, the NBA end game is the same whether it involved Syracuse or Oregon.

Always was a long shot getting drafted. I think there is an argument to be had that another year nearly averaging a double double and he could have gone G league and gotten a look at a two way contract and then had more time on that route to get the development work needed. Oregon clearly had no intention to feature him from the moment he arrived. He likely is a bigger part of the SU offense and team as a whole as a junior. Outcome probably not all that different but I think he would have had more eyes watching had he not just been part of a jam packed rotation at Oregon. My two cents at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom