June Jones? | Syracusefan.com

June Jones?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Firstly I'm in the camp of you cna't fire the guy after a bowl win an losing season in which we got killed by injuries. I'm also not big on the "bring a famous coach in" idea. We won't get him, he'd be too expensive and he won't stay. But this did make my ears perk up.

I was listening to Bud and the Manchild and their producer, Josh Murray, suggested that if we were looking for a new coach,we should consider June Jones, who left SMU this season. My bothe ris a professor at U of Hawaii and we used to discuss the Warriors and the Orangemen when we talked and June Jones had quite a successful tenure out there where they put up big-time offensive numbers. His quarterbacks didn't do well in the NFL and they got a rep as "system" quarterbacks who put up great numbers because of Jones offensive scheme, not because they were great talents. i remember discussing this on this board when we were talking about Colt Brennan and I got a ton of likes when I said that I wished we had a 'system'.

Manchild suggested that at age 61 Jones was "too old" at 61. I happen to be 61 but that doesn't matter because I'm not a coach. But we've got a 70 year old basketball coach and Bill Snyder is 75, so i don't think that's too old, particularly if you have a reputation and Jones has one for high-powered offensive football.

It's been somewhat tarnished by his leaving SMU in a shambles and I don't know all that went on there. Wikipedia says he left " citing "personal issues", which turned out to be due to lack of sleep". Manchild said he'd heard Jones couldn't stand watching SMU's unproductive offense.

Maybe he wouldn't be interested and maybe there's some baggage there but the thought of June Jones in the Carrier Dome with the indoor practice facility and in a power five conference is intriguing. What do you think?

Jones on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Jones#SMU

SMU, (where he coached from 2008 until early this year):
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/SouthernMethodist.htm

Hawaii, where he coached from 1999-2007:
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Hawaii.htm

This exactly the type of OC we should be looking for, or at least having conversations with.

Maybe the step down to OC is exactly what he needs for his personal life.

Doesn't hurt to pick up the phone. Our AD usually has one in each ear anyway.

You might have the wrong month.
th

Firstly I'm in the camp of you cna't fire the guy after a bowl win an losing season in which we got killed by injuries. I'm also not big on the "bring a famous coach in" idea. We won't get him, he'd be too expensive and he won't stay. But this did make my ears perk up.

I was listening to Bud and the Manchild and their producer, Josh Murray, suggested that if we were looking for a new coach,we should consider June Jones, who left SMU this season. My bothe ris a professor at U of Hawaii and we used to discuss the Warriors and the Orangemen when we talked and June Jones had quite a successful tenure out there where they put up big-time offensive numbers. His quarterbacks didn't do well in the NFL and they got a rep as "system" quarterbacks who put up great numbers because of Jones offensive scheme, not because they were great talents. i remember discussing this on this board when we were talking about Colt Brennan and I got a ton of likes when I said that I wished we had a 'system'.

Manchild suggested that at age 61 Jones was "too old" at 61. I happen to be 61 but that doesn't matter because I'm not a coach. But we've got a 70 year old basketball coach and Bill Snyder is 75, so i don't think that's too old, particularly if you have a reputation and Jones has one for high-powered offensive football.

It's been somewhat tarnished by his leaving SMU in a shambles and I don't know all that went on there. Wikipedia says he left " citing "personal issues", which turned out to be due to lack of sleep". Manchild said he'd heard Jones couldn't stand watching SMU's unproductive offense.

Maybe he wouldn't be interested and maybe there's some baggage there but the thought of June Jones in the Carrier Dome with the indoor practice facility and in a power five conference is intriguing. What do you think?

He needs to hang it up.

For the numbers crowd.

2012 92nd offense, 7 wins,
2013, 41st offense, 5 wins,
2014, quit after 0-2, team finished 0-12.

He needs to hang it up.

For the numbers crowd.

2012 92nd offense, 7 wins,
2013, 41st offense, 5 wins,
2014, quit after 0-2, team finished 0-12.
He's done. He was great but he doesn't have the fire any more. They're literally the only team with a worse passing rating than us.

He's done. He was great but he doesn't have the fire any more. They're literally the only team with a worse passing rating than us.

That's when you drop guys like that a level. Let them focus on what they want. He doesn't want all the BS that comes with being a head football coach. They were averaging 435 yards per game in 2013.

That's when you drop guys like that a level. Let them focus on what they want. He doesn't want all the BS that comes with being a head football coach. They were averaging 435 yards per game in 2013.
shafer would lose his mind. when lester talks about how different people describe his offense different ways, that's a defensive coaches wet dream. they get to practice against everything! sure that means the offense will suck because they don't get good at one thing, but who cares about that - the objective is to have a good defense on the field as much as possible

i suspect june jones would have no patience for any of the nonsense and bail out

shafer would lose his mind. when lester talks about how different people describe his offense different ways, that's a defensive coaches wet dream. they get to practice against everything! sure that means the offense will suck because they don't get good at one thing, but who cares about that - the objective is to have a good defense on the field as much as possible

I can't figure out what I'm more worried about. When Lester says (as he did the other day) that we have to find something simple we can do, and get good at it, like say screen passes. Or when he says that his playbook is all over the place, so that it becomes so cumbersome that he never does certain basic things at well designed times, like, say, screen passes.

Oh well, at least we'll have the diamond. It will be this generation's hop step.

I can't figure out what I'm more worried about. When Lester says (as he did the other day) that we have to find something simple we can do, and get good at it, like say screen passes. Or when he says that his playbook is all over the place, so that it becomes so cumbersome that he never does certain basic things at well designed times, like, say, screen passes.

Oh well, at least we'll have the diamond. It will be this generation's hop step.

Forget the multiple stuff, that's all coach speak. I really agree with Lester's first point, though, especially with regard to our recent offensive performances.

We literally don't do anything well. We have zero offensive identity. If we're Lester and Shafer, I sit down and think about what do we have, and what can this group execute well.

I'm not advocating this offense for eternity, but given the talent we have a QB right now, I would design a run first O with a ton of read option built in under Hunt. My guess is a 21 base (2 TE's) out of the gun - option one is run, but have bubble and jailbreak screens be a check off to Estime and Broyld. Work some play action to the TE in the seams or Ish in a dig or deep in route. You could literally build 15 plays out of that. Do it really, really well before we move to anything else.

Teams knew Marrone was going to pound them and work the intermediate passing game to death. Our passing game didn't thrive until Nassib's last season, but those Marrone teams could move the ball on the ground. Why? Because they made sure every knew What they were doing on every play. This year some of our plays looked like a GD fire drill. We had lineman running wrong ways on screen passes, receivers running wrong routes, etc.

Mc Donald is t dumb, but he clearly overthought it. Playbook was too big. We'd run one play once and never ever go back to it. Why have it in the book at this level?

Lane Kiffen

This is the answer. Of course, this is SU and they are too reactionary...oh SS won a bowl and had a lot of injuries and this is only his second year! So what, it is pretty obvious he is either (a) not fit to be a head coach (b) not ready to be a head coach yet. I love SS, but he is not the right coach at this time.

Kiffen though? Hell to the Yes! I hate him, but so what. Who the hell says we have to like our head coach??? He wouldn't be here after a couple years anyway! We would be talked about a lot and that alone will help recruiting. The guy had a lot of experience and there is little pressure here compared to the rest of his jobs.

Best case, he is great, we win a lot of games!
Worst case, he sucks and our team sucks...just like we are now.

Anyway, it will never ever happen here. SU doesn't operate this way, sadly.

This is the answer. Of course, this is SU and they are too reactionary...oh SS won a bowl and had a lot of injuries and this is only his second year! So what, it is pretty obvious he is either (a) not fit to be a head coach (b) not ready to be a head coach yet. I love SS, but he is not the right coach at this time.

Kiffen though? Hell to the Yes! I hate him, but so what. Who the hell says we have to like our head coach??? He wouldn't be here after a couple years anyway! We would be talked about a lot and that alone will help recruiting. The guy had a lot of experience and there is little pressure here compared to the rest of his jobs.

Best case, he is great, we win a lot of games!
Worst case, he sucks and our team sucks...just like we are now.

Anyway, it will never ever happen here. SU doesn't operate this way, sadly.
Syracuse is the right level of a program where he can come as HC and rebuild his rep.

a rep that is so badly damaged as HC, it might take him 5-7 years of success before he gets back to the big leagues.

but it wouldnt happen for the reason you say and the board here would never give him a chance as they are more concerned about comparing ourselves with rutgers and dismissing BC as a superior program than to allow us the opportunity to start winning 9 & 10 games again with a heel at the wheel.

I'm not advocating this offense for eternity, but given the talent we have a QB right now, I would design a run first O with a ton of read option built in under Hunt. My guess is a 21 base (2 TE's) out of the gun - option one is run, but have bubble and jailbreak screens be a check off to Estime and Broyld.
I think that was pretty close to the plan for this season actually, minus 1 TE and plus 1 WR, but Salt Badger got hurt and it blew the whole thing up.

I hadn't thought of June Jones as OC and I don't know if that would work. (It might be like having Buddy Ryan as your DC and doing his own radio show, etc. It might put Jones in position to take over when Shafer sees the writing on the wall.) Obviously, it would have to be dictated to him. But I was just suggesting JJ as a possible replacement if Shafer were to be let go.

As to the "he's burned out" thing, remember that Urban Meyer was burned out, too.

I think Lane Kiffin is probably, like Scott Shafer, a good coordinator who was promoted to his level of incompetence. Jones had run the show before and done it well. You can't say that of Kiffin.

Last edited:
Forget the multiple stuff, that's all coach speak. I really agree with Lester's first point, though, especially with regard to our recent offensive performances.

We literally don't do anything well. We have zero offensive identity. If we're Lester and Shafer, I sit down and think about what do we have, and what can this group execute well.

I'm not advocating this offense for eternity, but given the talent we have a QB right now, I would design a run first O with a ton of read option built in under Hunt. My guess is a 21 base (2 TE's) out of the gun - option one is run, but have bubble and jailbreak screens be a check off to Estime and Broyld. Work some play action to the TE in the seams or Ish in a dig or deep in route. You could literally build 15 plays out of that. Do it really, really well before we move to anything else.

Teams knew Marrone was going to pound them and work the intermediate passing game to death. Our passing game didn't thrive until Nassib's last season, but those Marrone teams could move the ball on the ground. Why? Because they made sure every knew What they were doing on every play. This year some of our plays looked like a GD fire drill. We had lineman running wrong ways on screen passes, receivers running wrong routes, etc.

Mc Donald is t dumb, but he clearly overthought it. Playbook was too big. We'd run one play once and never ever go back to it. Why have it in the book at this level?

i'm scared that this approach will mean more yards but still stall in the red zone.

i wish lester realized that he's a total nobody and he needs to give us something better than coachspeak in order to believe in him. but it might just be me

hunt ran the ball fine by getting defenders the hell out of the way toward the sideline

it seems way easier to stick a fast guy at the sideline than bring everyone in and hope we can block them

I am in Dallas.. June has been checked out for a while. SMU will right the ship soon and you will see the program come back. If you can't recruit in Texas, how can you recruit the NorthEast? He had a tremendous career, but C'mon...

I was thinking about June Jones as well. We could do a lot worse than JJ as OC - a lot worse.

This is exactly what I want. I want to see a plan. Right now we just seem to be winging it. Establish an identity around your strengths. The type of offense you suggested is exactly what the current personnel could be successful at. It really shouldn't be that hard.

12 package is one back and t 2 TE.
21 package is two backs and 1 TE

i'm scared that this approach will mean more yards but still stall in the red zone.

i wish lester realized that he's a total nobody and he needs to give us something better than coachspeak in order to believe in him. but it might just be me

hunt ran the ball fine by getting defenders the hell out of the way toward the sideline

it seems way easier to stick a fast guy at the sideline than bring everyone in and hope we can block them

I understand your fears, but there's a ton of stuff you could do out of a 12 set, especially with motion (which we don't do enough of IMO). You could motion a pass catching TE like Custis out and now you have an 11 set. Basic spread offense there.

You could motion a TE to the other other side to have 2 TE's and set up a power run to the strong side, or have a fake run pass option (works 75% of the time in the end zone, I don't know why teams don't do more of it).

We just need a simple base, get the basics down, and build off of it. Frankly that's what makes Wisconsin's offense so darn good. They operate a tone out of the 22 set, and everything is countered off of it. Yes they've had some solid backs, but my guess is much like the old Kinger/Ware Houston days, they are a product of a system and not necessarily that good.

typing on the iphone
I hate it when it does that. I have a laptop at home with 3 keys that always stick. Reads like one of Tomcats' spellchecker jobs.

I understand your fears, but there's a ton of stuff you could do out of a 12 set, especially with motion (which we don't do enough of IMO). You could motion a pass catching TE like Custis out and now you have an 11 set. Basic spread offense there.

You could motion a TE to the other other side to have 2 TE's and set up a power run to the strong side, or have a fake run pass option (works 75% of the time in the end zone, I don't know why teams don't do more of it).

We just need a simple base, get the basics down, and build off of it. Frankly that's what makes Wisconsin's offense so darn good. They operate a tone out of the 22 set, and everything is countered off of it. Yes they've had some solid backs, but my guess is much like the old Kinger/Ware Houston days, they are a product of a system and not necessarily that good.
i think that is great if you can get big fast versatile tight ends. i think that's too big an if. vs just sticking some athlete from NY at the sideline

there are a zillion teams, there is one successful team for every type of offense. but is it really good odds for us to try to be wisconsin? bunch of farm boys working and drinking 10 gallons of milk all day.