Just reported on Upon Further Review | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just reported on Upon Further Review

This and also the interview of the two players that aired in the news last night. The tones of the two players and wording leads me to believe Allen is the starter for the 31st.

I caught the same thing as Cusian did when I watched HCSS's presser last night. That surprised me a bit, I thought I heard him wrong, because it was pretty clear to me that he was directly comparing his not getting the nod as a soph to Terrell. HCSS threw a trash can when he was passed up in college. HARDNOSED! CUSU, what station had those interviews? I would like to see them. thanks!

I think it was on channel 6 at 11pm? So cny central?

I caught the same thing as Cusian did when I watched HCSS's presser last night. That surprised me a bit, I thought I heard him wrong, because it was pretty clear to me that he was directly comparing his not getting the nod as a soph to Terrell. HCSS threw a trash can when he was passed up in college. HARDNOSED! CUSU, what station had those interviews? I would like to see them. thanks!

Maybe the most non-surprising thing was that Cohen and company missed it.

I need to find it again and check - but that's what I heard.

Presser is on SUA site. http://www.suathletics.com/showcase/

I think the comment was something along the lines of, "I was a Sophomore, like Terrel... ...and when I didn't get the job" emphasis on Sophomore, not that Terrel didn't get the job.

Some ambiguity there still - but I guess we'll see. I think it's Allen and the guys know.
Perhaps Drew is the guy, I just don't see HCSS making that mistake, basically saying Hunt didn't have the job when he just said he would wait until August 31 to announce the starting qb.

Presser is on SUA site. http://www.suathletics.com/showcase/

I think the comment was something along the lines of, "I was a Sophomore, like Terrel... ...and when I didn't get the job" emphasis on Sophomore, not that Terrel didn't get the job.

Just watched the video: http://www.suathletics.com/showcase/#Archive/7172

I think his comment was pretty vague. He gave himself as the example of being in a fight for a position...just like Terrell...It's a stretch to say he was implying -- even carelessly -- that the decision has been made.

Also, interesting comments on the Special Teams...treating those positions like starters, and in some cases playing more than backups. I wonder how this compares with what has been done in the past. On the surface it sounds like a great way to boost the ST play though increased competitiveness.

Just watched the video: http://www.suathletics.com/showcase/#Archive/7172

I think his comment was pretty vague. He gave himself as the example of being in a fight for a position...just like Terrell...It's a stretch to say he was implying -- even carelessly -- that the decision has been made.

Also, interesting comments on the Special Teams...treating those positions like starters, and in some cases playing more than backups. I wonder how this compares with what has been done in the past. On the surface it sounds like a great way to boost the ST play though increased competitiveness.

OK, I was not listening carefully enough, it was late evening and on my Iphone. It seemed pretty odd that HCSS would tip his hand that way, intentionally or unintentionally. I think Allen wins the nod, but obviously it is still a mystery

From what I read on a TOS site McDonalds' offense will still be up-tempo but also has a lot of similarities to that of Oklahoma, the same concepts just different terminology. So not surprising Allen has an advantage.

I live in Big[12] country and am very familiar with Oklahoma. I don't know if I would characterize their offense as "up tempo". I think a team like Baylor or Texas Tech would be more fitting of that description.

I think Oklahoma ran more of a pro-style, WC type offense. I can see Allen prospering in something like that. I'm sure he can prosper in an up tempo as well.

I've never understood this argument. How much better would Hunt be today if he took 25 snaps in blowout time last year?

Because even if it's a blow-out, the other guys are playing live, and they are trying to get you on your back. They may even be playing chippy because they are so far behind that the back up is in. In any event, going against a real opponent is something entirely different from practice. Even if you aren't being asked to win games, you will still be expected to execute plays in the face of uncertainty and hostility. That is a growing experience, and I would much rather have the kid get 50 or 60 attempts on the year like Nassib did behind Paulus, than have him not play at all. Do you still remember how that shock of getting sacked a bunch of times scrambled the brains of some of our past rookie QBs?

It's a lot easier to have the composure to make plays, once you've gotten used to the speed of a live opponent. I'd much rather have them having faced enemy fire the year before they are expected to make plays to win games. To be expected to come in and make winning plays when you've never seen the field before is a much bigger ask, than with a kid who is broken in a bit.

It's like saying, wouldn't you rather have a freshman get 10 minutes in 10 games in November / December basketball and not play the Big East games, than have the kid not play at all, when you need them to step into a starting role as a sophomore? The live opposition is the first step. That's why the hoops team is in Canada right now. Winning games for the team is another step up.

OK, I was not listening carefully enough, it was late evening and on my Iphone. It seemed pretty odd that HCSS would tip his hand that way, intentionally or unintentionally. I think Allen wins the nod, but obviously it is still a mystery

Yeah - just went back and listened. If there is anything there it's a vague reference to not winning a job and that it would be time to learn from that - and he mentioned Hunt in there loosely. Probably nothing...

I think Hunt has to win the job by a considerable margin to get the nod. Contrary to what most have said, I fully believe a tie would go to Allen - not that I think it's a tie now.

If you take the 50,000 foot view of running a program- you don't bring in a 5th year guy from outside the program unless you fully intend on playing him- especially at qb.

You may have to go back to that well again and you don't want other recruiters saying "don't go to Syracuse, the last guy they took didn't play and they ruined his one chance at being a millionaire."

It's like taking hs players from hoop prep school factories and not playing them. Don't ever go back and try to get a second kid.

Now if you give the kid a chance and they fail - all bets are off.

I certainly expect Allen to get first shot, with Hunt being ready to go if Allen falters.

Okay but that goes against established football wisdom on another front: that if things are close, you go with the guy with the most eligibility because he has the most longterm upside. Taking the long view, most coaches would prefer to have a returning starter at QB if they can help it rather than a different guy every year. Easy to explain that to transfer recruits in the future too.

I'm late to the game here, but, here's the link to the interview I did that someone mentioned above: http://www.cnycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=936042#.UhRVFb7D8eE

Here's my obligatory plug: You can check out the whole interview on our hour long SU preview show Next Thursday, August 29 at 6:30 on NBC 3.
Lots of great stuff in that show (Damien Rhodes and myself will be your hosts all season long!)

Both Hunt and Allen have my utmost respect, great kids...we'll be proud of our starter no matter who it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom