K.J. Williams, Treevon Prater Fail to Qualify | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

K.J. Williams, Treevon Prater Fail to Qualify

rundeal said:
From a fan perspective, I think most people look at the pure athleticism an athlete comes to the game with and don't often see the other intangibles that are involved. Based on nothing more than his grades, the probability that he would've have played as a true frosh was probably nil even if he had qualified. In my opinion, the staff would have spent more time his freshman year getting him acclimated to the academic side of college sports - get successful in the classroom first. The other side is the academic portion if the game itself - learning a playbook is almost as difficult as learning physics - it takes time for some of these young men to understand all the nuances of the game. Some of the most gifted athletes never see the field in college because of this. Hopefully Mr. Williams is able to get to prep, concentrate on his classroom skills and get a head start on the transition.
Given the source here, not sure we're going to get a more insightful and informed post on this matter. This thread is officially closed.

I have a question as to why any player would go the JUCO route and lose eligibility. That just makes no sense to me...

A player would attend a prep school if he needed to retake only ONE course from HS to get a qualifying grade, or if he needed to improve his SAT score. That's the trade off ... NCAA regs only allow you to improve the grade in only one course, but it counts a prep school like a 5th year of HS.

If you need improvement in more than one course, your only other option is JUCO. At this point, your HS career is finished, and you need to complete a two year JUCO degree in order to qualify.

Last edited:
I agree with rundeal but sometimes an extremely talented player can hide some mental flaws/learning the playbook with pure talent...especially if things are kept simple for them and they are put in the correct situations. But as rundeal wrote, it's wonderful for a coach than when a kid just gets it and always puts himself in the correct position as a freshmen. It's rare but just as there are special talents (speed/size) there are special players that just get it right out of the box.

A player would attend a prep school if he needed to retake only ONE course from HS to get a qualifying grade. That's the trade off ... NCAA regs only allow you to improve only one course, but it counts a prep school like a 5th year of HS.

If you need improvement in more than one course, your only other option is JUCO. At this point, your HS career is finished, and you need to complete a two year JUCO degree in order to qualify.

Thanks OX, I didn't know that either. Two birds with one stone!

I agree with rundeal but sometimes an extremely talented player can hide some mental flaws/learning the playbook with pure talent...especially if things are kept simple for them and they are put in the correct situations. But as rundeal wrote, it's wonderful for a coach than when a kid just gets it and always puts himself in the correct position as a freshmen. It's rare but just as there are special talents (speed/size) there are special players that just get it right out of the box.

From what I've seen, the position that can rely on pure athleticism the most is DB. Don't get me wrong - hundreds of freshman each year can get in to college and play based on their athleticism and brains - my point was only directed at kids that struggle more academically to qualify - even if they do so by the skin of their teeth - these are not great prospects to make a substantial contribution immediately - a redshirt year is probably in everyone's best interest. There are always exceptions, but by and large, these guys need to make that mental transition to college before they can perform on the field.

When Alec committed back in 2008, SU already had a WR commit from a DC kid named Darrell Person that everyone here was very high on - athletically, he looked the part - his tape was impressive and he looked physically gifted beyond belief. When Marrone took over, Person either reopened his recruiting or Marrone pulled his schollie - he ended up at New Mexico with Locksley - before leaving the team before ever playing a game. He transferred to a JUCO in Arizona, played a game before he was off the team, never to be heard from again. There are tons of 4-5 star recruits coming out of high school each year that disappear in years to follow - it's not often because their physical talents weren't up to snuff...

2 examples; Broyld, Estime.

Estime hasn't had any playbook issues, not sure why he is lumped in here.
Yes he absolutely did. They had to tape the plays on his wrist. And I'm not saying he should've been further along with the play book than he was. Just they felt the need because of his athleticism to throw him in the fire. It worked.

Yes he absolutely did. They had to tape the plays on his wrist. And I'm not saying he should've been further along with the play book than he was. Just they felt the need because of his athleticism to throw him in the fire. It worked.

You are right. It wasn't awful, but lack of understanding of the playbook limited his playing time earlier in the season. Then again you get that a lot with almost all Freshman.

You are right. It wasn't awful, but lack of understanding of the playbook limited his playing time earlier in the season. Then again you get that a lot with almost all Freshman.
At least he didn't suffer the Llewellyn Coker fate. Special teams ace yes, but he could have done more.

OrangeXtreme said:
A player would attend a prep school if he needed to retake only ONE course from HS to get a qualifying grade, or if he needed to improve his SAT score. That's the trade off ... NCAA regs only allow you to improve the grade in only one course, but it counts a prep school like a 5th year of HS. If you need improvement in more than one course, your only other option is JUCO. At this point, your HS career is finished, and you need to complete a two year JUCO degree in order to qualify.

Where'd you read that? :)