K says players don't get tired by playing | Syracusefan.com

K says players don't get tired by playing

I agree. Kids can lose focus, get frustrated but shouldn't get tired unless they are sick, hurt, hungover or out of shape in the first place. I remember my own kids didn't tire in games but would be suddenly stricken with debilitating exhaustion when asked to take out the garbage, shovel, clean their rooms etc. ;)

With the number of fouls, media timeouts, called timeouts in a game, kids shouldn't tire. The only caveat being that getting tired from running, jumping etc may differ from tiring from the increased wrestling prevalent in games.

This is definitely true. But I think what most people are referring to when saying out guys are "tired" or "fatigued" is more of a mental fatigue than anything. There is no way any body could convince me that last years team was NOT fatigued in some way (mentally, physically) at the end of the season.

This is definitely true. But I think what most people are referring to when saying out guys are "tired" or "fatigued" is more of a mental fatigue than anything. There is no way any body could convince me that last years team was NOT fatigued in some way (mentally, physically) at the end of the season.

I think the reason we flamed out was because we were playing much better teams and we lost confidence. Not because we were tired.

The NBA is doing it all wrong in the playoffs then. More 48 minute performances wanted.
NBA plays 82 games with rough travel. College teams only have back to back games in pre and league tournaments. Playing in AAU tournaments you might play 2 or even 3 games in a day. A time out every 4 minutes. Plus the coaches time outs. College regular season schedules aren't that tough. We make the saturday Monday tournaround a lot tougher than it really is.

NBA plays 82 games with rough travel. College teams only have back to back games in pre and league tournaments. Playing in AAU tournaments you might play 2 or even 3 games in a day. A time out every 4 minutes. Plus the coaches time outs. College regular season schedules aren't that tough. We make the saturday Monday tournaround a lot tougher than it really is.

These are the most well conditioned athletes around - I only suggested for the playoffs! They don't need to for 82 games!

They must be able to do it without getting tired - to suggest otherwise is ridiculous! Their travel is more comfortable than 99.9% of the world's anything else!

Yet they rest...

The NBA is doing it all wrong in the playoffs then. More 48 minute performances wanted.

All these college players want to play in the NBA - an 82 game season vs 30 in college and 48 minutes a game vs 40 minutes in college. This doesn't count pre-season games. Look at the average minutes played in the link below and they are playing these guys millions of dollars and certainly want them fresh.

Shouldn't Lebron, Kyrie Irving, Harden etc be complaining? If they thought they were tired, being overplayed, I bet they have millions of reasons and the media's ear to complain about it. Tim Duncan's minutes have been cut considerably yet still plays 30 minutes a game at 38 years old. Andy Rautins plays over 34 minutes a game this year in Europe and I bet he's more than happy about it. Personally I think they should reduce NBA games from 48 to 40 minutes anyways - just seems too long. (or maybe it's just my ADD speaking - lost the "H" in ADD as I aged :p).

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/minutes/sort/avgMinutes

These are the most well conditioned athletes around - I only suggested for the playoffs! They don't need to for 82 games!

They must be able to do it without getting tired - to suggest otherwise is ridiculous! Their travel is more comfortable than 99.9% of the world's anything else!

Yet they rest...
The NBA game is a lot rougher than a college game. And it's longer.

Yet they rest...

Perhaps more a fear of injury to a key player than fatigue when teams have already clinched their playoff spot??

Perhaps more a fear of injury to a key player than fatigue when teams have already clinched their playoff spot??
Don't most good NBA players play about 35 to 38 minutes a game? Wouldn't that basically be a full game in college?

They may play similar amounts of minutes but they actually get to rest on the bench while the game continues.

Why would you use Tim Duncan as an example? How many games does he sit out?

These guys also play basketball as a job and can train whenever and wherever. Our young men need to worry about their studies.

I'm just speaking of the playoffs - these are the best conditioned athletes in the world. For a few weeks, with rest in between games they can do 48 minutes. It's not like they're going to class and crap. It's 8 extra minutes, with a bunch more breaks in the action. Best medical staffs in the sports work on these guys!

They could do it - it's preposterous to think otherwise!

I'm just speaking of the playoffs - these are the best conditioned athletes in the world. For a few weeks, with rest in between games they can do 48 minutes. It's not like they're going to class and crap. It's 8 extra minutes, with a bunch more breaks in the action. Best medical staffs in the sports work on these guys!

They could do it - it's preposterous to think otherwise!
You're right. They could do it.

This is ridiculous.

As this pertains to the game (and K is talking about practice being the sole reason for fatigue), there should never be any substitutions. Play your best five 40 minutes each and go with short practices. Done.

His logic is absurd.

I don't know what's a more ridiculous notion, that practice is the reason why any player would be fatigued and not the game play or that players don't get physically fatigued as the season wears on.

I'm convinced people are considering their bowling leagues as athletic competitions on par with elite athletic competitions to come to these conclusions.

coaches say things pertaining to the team they are coaching that year, or for recruits the following year. Happens all the time.

Didn't the announcers say last night that K says his most important job right now is to get his team rested and ready for the postseason? Why would K say that if players didn't get tired?

I thought I heard the announcers talking about how K was really focused right now on making sure his guys were "fresh" for the post season. Maybe he was talking about deodorant.