Kaleb played much better tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kaleb played much better tonight

I'd like to see KJ2 develop more tear drops and drives. He doesn't look convincing on that jumper yet but I love the pace he brings.

There is a MCW trick KJ2 needs to lose and that is the contested jump pass.
Hopefully it doesn't evolve into the MCW 180 jump and no look pass. I might stop watching the games if I see that happening..

I'd like to see KJ2 develop more tear drops and drives. He doesn't look convincing on that jumper yet but I love the pace he brings.

Supposedly he worked on this a lot over the summer.

Those who know me know that I am tough on point guards.

That said, with the run of point guards we have had, it is easy to forget that Kaleb has played four collegiate games in his career. He looks like a player that can develop over time, but he isn't as close to being a "finished product" as many of our recent lead guards:
  • Flynn (sophomore)
  • Triche (freshman)/Scoop (sophomore) combo
  • Scoop (junior and senior)
  • Carter-Williams (sophomore who had his own growing pains)
  • Ennis (one of the most poised freshman I have ever seen)
60% of this list play or played in the NBA (Ennis likely will someday). Joseph may, too, but he's not at that level of his development yet. Frankly, he has played like a freshman, and I couldn't be more satisfied with what he has shown so far.

It is true that he has several facets of his game that need work, but there are a lot of strengths to his game at such an early stage of his career. For as much criticism as there is on his passing, he has plenty of assists early in the year (5.5 apg). He has shown the ability to facilitate the break, and he seems to have a pull-up jumper in his arsenal. He also appears to understand the basic concepts of the pick and roll, and his scoring ability should improve with more reps.

As Francis pointed out, defense is his greatest liability at the moment. This is not uncommon with young guys in the zone. He also needs to work on when and how to attack off the dribble, and he needs to improve his outside shooting, which should enable him to drive more effectively.

Overall, he's not a one-and-done guard, and for all of the bellyaching over players leaving early, we can't then complain when a player that is likely to stay multiple seasons isn't perfect from day one.

I know several fans were distraught when he took that pull-up jumper late in the game last night. I'm in the minority, but I was not upset. Number one, I like players that have the onions to take big shots in big spots. Not all players do. Number two, though not the best shot choice given time (especially in terms of the shot clock) and score, it wasn't really a horrible shot. It was a wide-open, pull-up jumper. Wide-open shots are what you want in an offense. The truth is that those who complained about the shot would have celebrated him if he made it. Complaining about that shot solely based on the time left on the shot clock also ignores that there is no guarantee our half-court offense would find a better shot than that during the possession. Number three, the only way Kaleb will grow is to make errors and learn from them. If we assume Boeheim was unhappy with the shot (which I'm not sure he was) and provided instruction, then this experience in November may pay great dividends in March, if not this season, then at some point during his career.

I don't know that Kaleb will ever be as good as Sherman, Pearl, or MCW. Time will tell. Based on what I have seen, he has the tools to be very good, though making long-term judgments about his game at this time is premature. I am excited to watch him develop during his time on the hill.

Agree with a lot of that, and I really did like the late pull-up.

We have a poor offense. Find our point guard an open 14-footer, I don't care how much time is left. We didn't have enough points to win. That was a high-percentage opportunity; good for him to try and take advantage.

Didn't work out, but I like the idea.

I was, just like a bunch of you guys on this board, tough and honest about KJ play against Cal. I'm very happy for the young man as he played a much better game last night.

He's got talent for sure, but I think he's got a long way to go. I think by the time March rolls around he'll be a lot more consistent and a better player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom