Kenny Smith just called Buddy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kenny Smith just called Buddy

The tear that Buddy is on right now is just ridiculous. I mean, he wasn't even shooting 30% from 3 halfway through the year. Second half of the year he's shooting 48% from 3. He's always looked like one of the purest shooters in the country but the results didn't really back it up until we hit February this year. If he can sustain himself as a 40+% shooter, I think he'll get a chance to earn a spot in the NBA like Duncan Robinson and Matt Thomas did, but those guys had much longer track records of this kind of shooting than Buddy has at this point.

I've always wondered if it might click for Buddy at some point and we'd be in this position where he's actually viewed as an NBA prospect but my hopes of that had started to shrink a bit this year lol.

But I think Buddy now is more suited to today's NBA than D-Nic was to the NBA then. There is more of a premium on the three, and I feel like Buddy has a quicker release that can be all the difference in being an NBA player or not.

When Buddy curls off a screen on the wing, catches and shoots, it's a thing of beauty. It's so quick and so fluid. That, to me, is when he most looks like an NBA player.

While D-Nic was more athletic and better at driving to the basket and getting to the line than Buddy is, neither of those attributes was good enough to make him someone who had a chance to go in the first round or a realistic chance at more than a cup of coffee in the NBA.

So if you call them both like A 3-point shooters and give Buddy that A+ release and C athleticism vs. D-Nic's A- release and B athleticism, D-Nic might average the higher grade across those traits, but Buddy has the better NBA potential.
In fairness to Nichols, he'd likely also be a much more interesting prospect to the NBA today as a 3 and d wing than he was when he came out.

Rautins senior year was fantastic. He was deadly curling around screens taking the pass and nailing a 3.

Buddy needs to improve his handle and his D. Every NBA team will put him in the spin cycle on D until he’s guarding their best player.

If he can become passable in the NBA with those skills, he’ll put together a nice career.

Syracuse & Buddy Boeheim the lead in on First Take as the best story of the tourney so far (according to Max Kellerman). Both Stephen A & Max agreeing adamantly that Buddy is an NBA player - size & shot making skills from the perimeter. I’m here for it!

No love for Lawrence Moten in this thread?

Moten not a great outside shooter. Not his game.
< 32% from 3 for his career, best season was < 34%

NOVAKAIN!!

When Novak played for the Knicks (loved him on that team!), some buddies ran into him at an airport & had him make a personal video message for me... it was a neat unexpected surprise, haha I’ll have to see if I can track it down

Did he say pro player or NBA player - huge difference.
What I saw and heard was "next level player". Jet first and Barkley seconded it. Not saying they didn't say something else somewhere else, but what "next level player" was what I heard.

44cuse

When Novak played for the Knicks (loved him on that team!), some buddies ran into him at an airport & had him make a personal video message for me... it was a neat unexpected surprise, haha I’ll have to see if I can track it down
Cameo before Cameo?

White Rautins DNic GMAC Buddy...probably my top 5...no order.

White hit more contested 3s in one season than anyone I ever recall.

GMAC more flat out game winners

DNic would get viciously hot in crazy short stretches.

Rautins seemed to have the most efficient high level season.

but Buddy has had a 6-7 game stretch down the hardest part of a season that I don’t think has been duplicated. And it’s at as high a level as anyone.

It's kind of insane what GMac did here considering the way that Boeheim didn't support him with other perimeter shooters. Two of his four seasons HE WAS THE ONLY GUY ON THE TEAM who could make a three. 2003-04 he made 105 of the 141 threes the team hit, and 2004-05 he made 107 of the 156 threes the team hit. This is flatout crazy.

People look at his percentages and say "he wasn't that great of a shooter", but when he was the only guy on the team that you had to guard at the line, it's remarkable that he made the percentage he did.

Can you imagine any team having success in this day and age where one guy has to make 60-70% of the team's shots outside the arc?

It's kind of insane what GMac did here considering the way that Boeheim didn't support him with other perimeter shooters. Two of his four seasons HE WAS THE ONLY GUY ON THE TEAM who could make a three. 2003-04 he made 105 of the 141 threes the team hit, and 2004-05 he made 107 of the 156 threes the team hit. This is flatout crazy.

People look at his percentages and say "he wasn't that great of a shooter", but when he was the only guy on the team that you had to guard at the line, it's remarkable that he made the percentage he did.

Can you imagine any team having success in this day and age where one guy has to make 60-70% of the team's shots outside the arc?
I think Nichols back problems definitely held some of his shooting back from that era and earlier in his career.

Yeah, it's the duration of his white-hot streak, right? I'm not going to compare him to Melo, that would be insanity and as fun as this is, it was only a couple months ago that half of this absurd board was convinced he was on the team b/c of his last name.

So, to me, what separates this from anything I can remember -- going back to mid-80s as a kid -- is how long he's been on fire. If you go back 8 games (not including tonight, which I'm too lazy to add and divide myself), he's 24/game on 53/49/91 shooting. If you go the previous five, he's at 26/game on 55/49/93 shooting. If you take the three games leading into tonight, he's 29/game on 65/60/100 shooting.

Take any one of those stretches and we haven't seen it often, if ever in my lifetime as a fan. Comparing Buddy to Melo or DC or Sherm or Pearl doesn't make any sense in really any scenario. D-Nic is an interesting comp for a player -- he was a bit more athletic and got to the line a bit more/rebounded a bit more -- but I can see it.

But my feeling is view this as one of the greatest shooting/scoring stretches we've ever seen and appreciate the timing (not just NCAA but ACC tourney and the Carolina/Clemson games, thought Clemson wasn't as good a performance).

Oh, and pray it continues for four more games.
Jimmy Lee had a great run. Led the entire tournament in scoring. Pre -3 pointer.

You're misremembering and are a prisoner of the past. The past 6 games he's averaged 26 points a game. Every single one of those games was a must win except for Virginia and Buddy showed up and literally was the biggest factor in every single one of those games. I'm not taking away from Waiters, G or any other great player that has come through here, but not one player has done what Buddy has done for a long time if not ever at Syracuse. Even Carmelo put up a stinker in the tournament, Buddy got the team in the tournament and now has gotten us into the sweet sixteen and I predict beyond. What we're seeing is special.

Waiters and Silent G would dream they could shoot as well as Buddy. Driving to the hoop is a different story. But Buddy is a shooter with just about no equal for us.
I think I misinterpreted the original statement-- I assumed "shotmaking" meant creating own shot and scoring at all three levels. As a pure shooter, of course Buddy is better-- better than Carmelo too of course. I don't think he's necessarily a better scorer than Silent G and Waiters.

On the NBA front, I think the question is whether he can move his feet laterally enough to play D. I don't think he can, but I hope he proves me wrong! Matt Thomas is probably his best comp at the pro level. People like to throw out Joe Harris but forget he was super athletic and a driver in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom