Kevin Durant | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Kevin Durant

These are tough.

I'd probably say Young as he was more efficient but unfortunately couldn't play as long as Marino.

And I honestly can't compare the other 2 as they are from such different eras.
My fault should have made the comparisons in the same era

I'm not saying titles aren't important. Like if OKC wins the next 3 then there's a strong chance Durant will move ahead of Lebron. But a single (possible) title just doesn't do it quite yet.

No he didn't in the NBA he was close though and just for fun all three of those guys won a title

Not Nash. I really don't think the titles played into my thinking. Maybe it should be Marino, since Young had the injuries, but he was so great when he played. And Banks was great, but he basically moved to first base at age 30 or so, Jeter has, for bettter or worse, stuck at SS his entire career. And if you changed it to say Jeter or Ted Williams, then it's Ted Williams. Or jeter and Bonds. Etc.

I can see why you think Lebron is better but IMO I would take KD if I had to take 1 player to build around. As far as your 1st team defense goes it's the NBA defense doesn't matter until the 4th quarter for about 90 percent of the players, especially if you play on the Warriors.

Come on, defense matters. If you don't give up a lot of points in the first 3 quarters then you don't need to score as many in the 4th.

I will take the guy who is 23 in the finals and didn't need to go play with two all stars to "win a title" because he didn't have the help around him in Cleveland.

Well, that was Lebron in 2007. And I doubt Lebron leaves Cleveland if they have Harden and Westbrook.

I can see why you think Lebron is better but IMO I would take KD if I had to take 1 player to build around. As far as your 1st team defense goes it's the NBA defense doesn't matter until the 4th quarter for about 90 percent of the players, especially if you play on the Warriors. I will take the guy who is 23 in the finals and didn't need to go play with two all stars to "win a title" because he didn't have the help around him in Cleveland.

I think you are underestimating the value of a guy who can guard all 5 positions on the court. And a guy who literally shut down Derrick Rose in the playoffs.

But if you don't think defense matters, probably not going to change your mind there.

And not that this is your point and I totally get what you mean, but I saw or listened to just about every Warriors game this season. And I can tell you that it isn't that they wait until the 4th quarter to play defense or try to play defense. They play defense and play hard every night. They are just terrible at defense.

I love David Lee, plays as hard as anyone in the league, but he is not a good defender.

44cuse

Not Nash. I really don't think the titles played into my thinking. Maybe it should be Marino, since Young had the injuries, but he was so great when he played. And Banks was great, but he basically moved to first base at age 30 or so, Jeter has, for bettter or worse, stuck at SS his entire career. And if you changed it to say Jeter or Ted Williams, then it's Ted Williams. Or jeter and Bonds. Etc.

You are correct I was meaning to put Kidd instead of Nash that was my fault. I think you can see my point of view as far as titles go with those questions.

Come on, defense matters. If you don't give up a lot of points in the first 3 quarters then you don't need to score as many in the 4th.

Defense does matter most NBA teams seem to strap it up a lot more in the 4th compared to the rest of the game don't you think?

Well, that was Lebron in 2007. And I doubt Lebron leaves Cleveland if they have Harden and Westbrook.
I can't hate I would move to South Beach in a heart beat no matter who I was surrounded by I was just trying to make a point. In fairness Jamison wasn't that bad

I can't hate I would move to South Beach in a heart beat no matter who I was surrounded by I was just trying to make a point. In fairness Jamison wasn't that bad

Nova, how much NBA do you watch in a given year...just curious?

I think you are underestimating the value of a guy who can guard all 5 positions on the court. And a guy who literally shut down Derrick Rose in the playoffs.

But if you don't think defense matters, probably not going to change your mind there.

And not that this is your point and I totally get what you mean, but I saw or listened to just about every Warriors game this season. And I can tell you that it isn't that they wait until the 4th quarter to play defense or try to play defense. They play defense and play hard every night. They are just terrible at defense.

I love David Lee, plays as hard as anyone in the league, but he is not a good defender.

44cuse

You don't think Derek Rose not being 100 percent had a little something to do with that? Also how long have the Warriors been terrible at defense it seems like a few decades at this point

You don't think Derek Rose not being 100 percent had a little something to do with that? Also how long have the Warriors been terrible at defense it seems like a few decades at this point

I am not sure how the Warriors being terrible at defense is relevant. Some teams have to be bad at defense.

Nova, how much NBA do you watch in a given year...just curious?

NBA league pass so a lot just started all of this to make the back half of my day fly bye Lebron is a better player a this point and time. Just wanted to argue for a bit all in good fun

You are correct I was meaning to put Kidd instead of Nash that was my fault. I think you can see my point of view as far as titles go with those questions.

Sure. There are some people who have won titles that are better than some who haven't. I can make a list as well. Is Robert Horry better than Larry Bird?

Defense does matter most NBA teams seem to strap it up a lot more in the 4th compared to the rest of the game don't you think?

Even granting this, I still don't understand how lessens someone who is great at defense.

D Rose shot 6.3% from the field with Lebron guarding him in that series. I'm going to go ahead and give Lebron some credit there...

Saw a stat about the number of times Durant's baskets are assisted versus Lebron's. There was quite a gap. Lebron has to not only create for others, but also for himself. It's not like anyone else is getting him easy baskets. Durant gets to come off curls or wait for a jump shot, though his floor game is expanding each year. I would say Lebron has to take way more of a load on his shoulders than Durant does. KD isn't bringing the ball up court 65% of his teams possessions, along with guarding the best player on the opposing team each game. Hate Lebron all you want, but the guy is basically a prize winning plow horse. Durant is more of a show horse.

I had forgotten all about the Thunder going on national TV to introduce the best team money could buy along with some guarantees.

When will James ever be so lucky to be on a team with some talent so he doesn't have to shoulder the full load?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The point is that you said: "defense doesn't matter until the 4th quarter" and then used the Warriors as an example. I am just telling you that defense does matter and the Warriors play hard on defense (and have for years). They are just, literally, terrible. Trust me, I know. They are my favorite NBA team. And I like the NBA a lot.

I absolutely think defense matters throughout the entire game. Here are some defensive #'s on the last 5 NBA champions:

Mavs: 8th in Def Rtg
Lakers: 4th in Def Rtg
Lakers: 6th in Def Rtg
Celtics: 1st in Def Rtg
Spurs: 2nd in Def Rtg

Playing good defense all season long certainly seems like it matters.

44cuse

Plus, I mean, a point saved in the first quarter counts just as much as one saved in the 4th

Durant looks like a better player tonight just saying lol couldn't help it

There's just no way a person that tall should have the driving ability and shooting range he does. it's just not right

There's just no way a person that tall should have the driving ability and shooting range he does. it's just not right

He is clearly 7'0" tall. I know KG did the whole "I'm 6'11" and don't you question it" thing to stay listed under seven feet (as did Bill Walton), but OKC has Durant listed as 6'9"! SIX NINE! If he is 6'9" then I can moonwalk on water.

He is clearly 7'0" tall. I know KG did the whole "I'm 6'11" and don't you question it" thing to stay listed under seven feet (as did Bill Walton), but OKC has Durant listed as 6'9"! SIX NINE! If he is 6'9" then I can moonwalk on water.

Both he and Lebron are freaks.

Doug Collins made the comparison a few years ago that Lebron is basically Karl Malone's size, which is scary when you think about it. And Durant is nearly 7 feet tall and can shoot from anywhere, can put the ball on the deck and get to the rim. It's ridiculous. And Westbrook may be the biggest freak of all of them. He's just dribbling around near the 3 point line, then takes 2 hard dribbles and has an easy layup.

Whats the story with Spo playing Bron down low now... is it just because they are so thin on their front line and Bosh has now become a perimeter player? I think you have to keep LBJ out on the perimeter on Durant...keeping him in position for break outs as well.

Both he and Lebron are freaks.

Doug Collins made the comparison a few years ago that Lebron is basically Karl Malone's size, which is scary when you think about it. And Durant is nearly 7 feet tall and can shoot from anywhere, can put the ball on the deck and get to the rim. It's ridiculous. And Westbrook may be the biggest freak of all of them. He's just dribbling around near the 3 point line, then takes 2 hard dribbles and has an easy layup.

Agreed. They are otherworldly. It will be amazing to see them in the Olympics together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom