Kicking ball into stands from 50-yard line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kicking ball into stands from 50-yard line

I don't agree. you're talking about an entirely different unit. It's not even the opposite side of the same argument, it's a different discussion entirely.
Huh?

Kickers practice popping the ball up. We have done it this year. The KR man is standing at the goaline. If you pop it up toward the side, one of the up men will have to take it. Most likely they call a fair catch which would be at the 15 yard line. That is 10 yards better than the 25. There isn't a risk.
Where do you coach?

Where do you coach?

LOL. Seriously. Yeah I will quit my job so I can answer the question. This is a question of probability not coaching. The probability of a KR on a pop up toward the sideline is very very very very low. The probability of pinning the team back is high. Someone doesn't need to be a coach to understand this. It isn't a football question. It is a math question. Where do you teach math?

Besides a pop up you can do a dribble onside kick. Every team has this. We have run it. CMU would not have been looking for it. Best case SU gets the ball at the 35. Worst case CMU gets it at the 35. Whether or not it is worth the risk to give the ball at the 35 vs the 25 is up for debate, and that is fair.

There is a reason why coaches have cheat sheets for 2 point conversions and 4th down scenarios. They aren't good with probability.

LOL. Seriously. Yeah I will quit my job so I can answer the question. This is a question of probability not coaching. The probability of a KR on a pop up toward the sideline is very very very very low. The probability of pinning the team back is high. Someone doesn't need to be a coach to understand this. It isn't a football question. It is a math question. Where do you teach math?

Besides a pop up you can do a dribble onside kick. Every team has this. We have run it. CMU would not have been looking for it. Best case SU gets the ball at the 35. Worst case CMU gets it at the 35. Whether or not it is worth the risk to give the ball at the 35 vs the 25 is up for debate, and that is fair.

There is a reason why coaches have cheat sheets for 2 point conversions and 4th down scenarios. They aren't good with probability.
I wasn't being sarcastic. The way your prior post was worded I thought you were saying your team had done it.

But thanks for the lesson, I wasnt aware that there's more than one way to kick a ball.

I wasn't being sarcastic. The way your prior post was worded I thought you were saying your team had done it.

But thanks for the lesson, I wasnt aware that there's more than one way to kick a ball.

LOL. Sorry then for being sarcastic in my reply. :)

You wouldn't practice it much at all, if at all entirely, but the same is said for the Kickoff Unit.

If I'm up 2 TD's, I'm not giving them the opportunity to swing momentum with a big return.
For the kickoff unit nothing has changed. There's no difference to how you line up.

Squib it. It could be mishandled and even if it isn't the guy isn't going very far. A bouncing ball would likely go beyond the 25. You also might get a blocking penalty due to the disorganized result.

I also like that pop up kick, get it high enough, and you have a shot at recovering it.

After CMU offsides they kicked off from the CMU 45 for petes sake. And CMU only had 5 up at the 35. Opportunity missed.

TheOrangeBuddha said:
Frickin Colts just did same thing. Argh.
Luck is overrated. His efficiency has never lived up to how good we all think he is. Their team kinda stinks around him though