KJ | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

KJ

Mike G openly stated in an interview with Donna D. that he expects to start at PG this year. The staff did not rebuke him for saying it. If this was not the plan then the staff would have nipped those comments immediately. Some of you don't seem to understand KJ will be coming off the bench until he plays better and everyone hopes he does. But in the meantime it looks like G will run the show.

Thanks, Reed. Do you see Howard as maybe being a piece of the puzzle? Can he drive to the rim more so than MR? Or perhaps play better D? Or is he likely as raw as KJ was last year? That's some of the things I've picked up over the past few months, anyway. Thanks. Summer doldrums getting me antsy.

ORR, thanks for reminding me of G's comment. Good "point".

Thanks, Reed. Do you see Howard as maybe being a piece of the puzzle? Can he drive to the rim more so than MR? Or perhaps play better D? Or is he likely as raw as KJ was last year? That's some of the things I've picked up over the past few months, anyway. Thanks. Summer doldrums getting me antsy.

ORR, thanks for reminding me of G's comment. Good "point".
ORR makes a point .. G has been out front about starting at PG, so far with no rebuke from the staff. If this occurs, obviously KJ would be coming off the bench. That will be his opportunity to earn minutes and show progress in his game -- which, again, I expect to see. Until then, we're lucky to have a guy as versatile as G (swiss army knife) to move from the front line to the point.

Clearly, PG is not G's natural position ... there are some advantages and disadvantages to having him play there. He's tall in the zone, that's a plus. But there's a giant sucking sound at the 3 when he plays up top (with TR at the 4, we have no one else with experience to step in there). Another concern is that, defensively, G cannot stay in front of top-half ACC guards on D. Admitedly, KJ had the same problem. (Even TC, usually pretty reliable (if unspectacular) on D, had some issues). But irrespective of how you allocate blame, we were just not up to SU's usual standards on the perimeter last year .. and we paid a price. So I'm anxious to see if KJ's footwork, decision making and understanding of the zone improves. If so, the G PG experiment may become less attractive as we get into ACC play.

Last edited:
Sure G will play a lot of PG. Keep in mind that he did that last season, while also playing the back of the zone. So, who is our fifth guy, with Cooney, G, Roberson and Coleman?
It depends on who is better by November, defenses, etc. Could go big if Lydon can play, or medium with Richardson, or small with KJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom