Kyle Cuffe Transferring to Syracuse (5/18/23) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Kyle Cuffe Transferring to Syracuse (5/18/23)

Actually it’s 3 years off. His senior year of HS was canceled after 2 games due to COVID. Don’t know about summer leagues.

The shot form in the more recent workout video looks strong.

While a freak in terms of his vertical his body composition and shot reminds me of Kyle Lowry a lot. Being a more physically mature/stronger guard makes him a little different than the other guys on the roster too.

He's absolutely worth the flyer, but he hasn't played meaningful minutes, at any level, in 2+ years. Anyone who thinks they know what we'll get out of him this season is throwing a dart. I'm not sure even Red knows.
I'm not expecting much right away. If he makes practices more competitive in year one I call it a win. If he does more than that, awesome.

i feel like after that knee injury, might take him a year to reach full speed

Yeah, but he already had almost 2 years of rehab. He should have as good a shot at being healthy as he'll ever have. He'll work off the rust in the summer, and then we'll see what he's got. But he only played 2 games his freshman year before he was hurt.

So, even if he didn't have surgery until the end of the season (and I think I read somewhere that he may not have had surgery at all ...), then he should be fairly ready to go. Seems like a worthwhile bet for a player with crazy upside. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, but he already had almost 2 years of rehab. He should have as good a shot at being healthy as he'll ever have. He'll work off the rust in the summer, and then we'll see what he's got. But he only played 2 games his freshman year before he was hurt.

So, even if he didn't have surgery until the end of the season (and I think I read somewhere that he may not have had surgery at all ...), then he should be fairly ready to go. Seems like a worthwhile bet for a player with crazy upside. Fingers crossed!
He left HS a year early and redshirted at Kansas instead of playing senior year. He was healthy and practiced all year with Kansas, and didn't get injured until the following year. So a full year of Kansas practices (the year they won a Natty) should help development too.

He left HS a year early and redshirted at Kansas instead of playing senior year. He was healthy and practiced all year with Kansas, and didn't get injured until the following year. So a full year of Kansas practices (the year they won a Natty) should help development too.

Did not know that! Wow.

Weird, wild stuff.
His highlight video is exhausting. We might lead the ACC in dunks next year. After being cellar-dwellers for a while….

I was trying to remember who he reminded me of, trying to avoid the easier Dion reference. The kid I was struggling to recall was Anthony Harris who transferred to Hawaii.

Cuffe was both twitchy and springy in those high school clips. I hope he’s got that quickness and explosiveness back. But his play style is kinda scary—looks like he’s constantly wagging his finger in the face of injury. He‘ll be exciting if/when healthy.

You sure about that? His Kansas profile doesn’t show that.

You sure about that? His Kansas profile doesn’t show that.

Yeah he reclassified and had a year of practice at Kansas as a redshirt. His injury happened at the beginning of his second year there, which caused him to take a medical redshirt. He hasn't burned any eligibility yet, but was able to spend two years at Kansas, one of which he was able to practice all year.

It’s tough to gauge this kid since he hasn’t played much basketball in like 3 years. But at the very least he is an athletic freak, that will be good off the bench. So offense to Symir, great kid. But this is an obvious upgrade to him. Not to mention Cufee isn’t a high volume outside shooter but has great form and mechanics on his shot. Think he has real potential there. We know we can finish at the rim and dunk on people. We’ll be a menace on defense. One thing that is being slept on right now, this roster has some REAL potential defensively. Like this team can be VERY good at defense.

It’s tough to gauge this kid since he hasn’t played much basketball in like 3 years. But at the very least he is an athletic freak, that will be good off the bench. So offense to Symir, great kid. But this is an obvious upgrade to him. Not to mention Cufee isn’t a high volume outside shooter but has great form and mechanics on his shot. Think he has real potential there. We know we can finish at the rim and dunk on people. We’ll be a menace on defense. One thing that is being slept on right now, this roster has some REAL potential defensively. Like this team can be VERY good at defense.
And, with a full roster, these guys can go out full speed and sub out for the next quality player. The average minutes will go down for the starters, but the style of play will be more fun to watch and showcase their talents for the NBA.

Yeah he reclassified and had a year of practice at Kansas as a redshirt. His injury happened at the beginning of his second year there, which caused him to take a medical redshirt. He hasn't burned any eligibility yet, but was able to spend two years at Kansas, one of which he was able to practice all year.
I'm actually seeing a mixed bag on the medical redshirt. A lot of articles say he took a medical redshirt, but some say he has 3 years of eligibility unless he gets a medical redshirt. Maybe he's still waiting for his application to be granted. He only played 6 minutes in early November during his second year prior to his injury. I would think it will be granted if it hasn't already.

I'm actually seeing a mixed bag on the medical redshirt. A lot of articles say he took a medical redshirt, but some say he has 3 years of eligibility unless he gets a medical redshirt. Maybe he's still waiting for his application to be granted. He only played 6 minutes in early November during his second year prior to his injury. I would think it will be granted if it hasn't already.

2022-23 (FRESHMAN)
Only appeared in two games before tearing his MCL and PCL … Played two minutes against Omaha (11/7) with one rebound and four minutes versus North Dakota State (11/10).

2021-22 (REDSHIRT)
Was a redshirt and practiced with the team for KU’s 2022 NCAA National Championship season.

One redshirt year to a customer.

Unless he can prove he couldn't play in 2021-22 strictly due to an injury, and the NCAA approves a hardship waiver, he has 3 years left.

What he do? Reclassify after his HS season was canceled?

and with the 55th pick, the Indiana Pacers select Judah Mintz.

So is this the official end for him?

This is awesome love all the ads by Red should be a fun season. Wish we pushed JB out earlier but realistically probably no way that was possible.

What he do? Reclassify after his HS season was canceled?
That may have been the reason, I’m not sure. I think he made the decision in the summertime so it could have been something like that. Hopefully it was good for his development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom