Late bloomer? | Syracusefan.com

Late bloomer?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Supposedly the story on Why Chris McCullough was drafted ahead of Rakeem Christmas, who has obviously accomplished more in his career and if clearly a better player right now is that Christmas is 23 and has likely peaked while McCullough has a world of untapped potential. But keep in mind Christmas grew up in St. Croix and only came to Philadelphia at age 13. He was a baseball fan and his commitment to basketball was late. It's possible Chris McCullough has been playing serious, competitive basketball as long as Rakeem has. And Rakeem last year made one of the biggest leaps in performance we've ever seen here. Who can say if he's stopped developing?

I'm not saying anything bad about Chris. I just don't think Rakeem is an "old" prospect, (imagine if he were a 23 year old baseball player), and I don't know that he's peaked yet.

Supposedly the story on Why Chris McCullough was drafted ahead of Rakeem Christmas, who has obviously accomplished more in his career and if clearly a better player right now is that Christmas is 23 and has likely peaked while McCullough has a world of untapped potential. But keep in mind Christmas grew up in St. Croix and only came to Philadelphia at age 13. He was a baseball fan and his commitment to basketball was late. It's possible Chris McCullough has been playing serious, competitive basketball as long as Rakeem has. And Rakeem last year made one of the biggest leaps in performance we've ever seen here. Who can say if he's stopped developing?

I'm not saying anything bad about Chris. I just don't think Rakeem is an "old" prospect, (imagine if he were a 23 year old baseball player), and I don't know that he's peaked yet.
The NBA bias against 22-23 year old 4 year college players is ridiculous. Look at some past 3-4 year college players and the growth of their games after a few pro seasons. Patrick Ewing had almost no offensive game when he graduated Georgetown and became a great offensive scorer. Kareem was great when he left UCLA but nowhere near what he became later with more strength and experience. Same with Jordan after 3 years at UNC. Shaq after 3 years at LSU. Chris Mullen after 4 years at SJU. Larry Bird after 4 years. Grant Hill. The list is long. They were good in college and developed into Hall of Fame players.

The NBA bias against 22-23 year old 4 year college players is ridiculous. Look at some past 3-4 year college players and the growth of their games after a few pro seasons. Patrick Ewing had almost no offensive game when he graduated Georgetown and became a great offensive scorer. Kareem was great when he left UCLA but nowhere near what he became later with more strength and experience. Same with Jordan after 3 years at UNC. Shaq after 3 years at LSU. Chris Mullen after 4 years at SJU. Larry Bird after 4 years. Grant Hill. The list is long. They were good in college and developed into Hall of Fame players.

I doubt Rakeem will have that type of career. Does the same hold true for 4 year college players who aren't Hall of Famers? My point is that he's not a typical four year college player- that his late start may mean he's not reached his potential yet while other 23 years olds might have.

Here goes my crazy head again - going on a little mind tangent. They are making basketball like Olympic gymnasts, swimmers who they declare have peaked by 21 (women gymnasts by 18) etc. I wonder if that mindset would even be legal in the normal workforce where an employer could be charged with age discrimination if they found a pattern where older more experienced workers are bypassed for hire solely because of their age? The announcers last night were openly saying on tv that players would have been drafted earlier or drafted at all if they were only younger. Just wondering.

I doubt Rakeem will have that type of career. Does the same hold true for 4 year college players who aren't Hall of Famers? My point is that he's not a typical four year college player- that his late start may mean he's not reached his potential yet while other 23 years olds might have.
Rakeem is smart and the truth is that most MBA players don't peak until their mid to late 20s. There are a few superstars early. But not many. What were Magic's and Bird's best years? Even Michael Jordan was better in his late 20s.
Give Rakeem three years and he'll be as good as Horace Grant

Patrick Ewing also had shot knees after only about 6-7 years in the league. That's a bigger reason for the bias against older players. Bird also had a way shorter career. Grant Hill as well. Mullin as well.

It's what's "trending" in the NBA. Young, so-called potential >> slightly older more experienced players. I don't buy it. Back in the day, the 4 yr guys were the norm, and there were many great ones. Now, 1 or 2 yr guys are the norm and there must be something wrong with 4 yr guys. I think there's something wrong with that mind set. Take the best player, no matter years in college. And an underclassman can get hurt just as easily as an upperclassman.

It's what's "trending" in the NBA. Young, so-called potential >> slightly older more experienced players. I don't buy it. Back in the day, the 4 yr guys were the norm, and there were many great ones. Now, 1 or 2 yr guys are the norm and there must be something wrong with 4 yr guys. I think there's something wrong with that mind set. Take the best player, no matter years in college. And an underclassman can get hurt just as easily as an upperclassman.

True. Everyone seems to empathize with incoming freshman being discriminated against not being able to declare after high school but little is said how the NBA is actively discouraging players from completing college by deeming them too old in their early 20's and no one says anything. Weird.

It is classic group think. Not one single team seems willing to find value in different aspects of a player or to think slightly differently about player management. Players are sort of like stock options, with an intrinsic value and a time value. Seems like teams are over valuing the time value at this point in time. Maybe not severely, but it is happening. There is an opportunity for a GM who can think differently from the pack to mine this for a lot of value.

I don't really think that's it. I think that Brooklyn is in a tough spot--their team isn't that good, they're old, and the roster as currently constructed doesn't have much upside.

They were picking 29th -- generally not where you are going to get a stud impact player. So they swung for the fences on a guy like McCullough who MIGHT [emphasis on MIGHT] exceed his draft position value. If he ends up busting or even just being average -- no big deal, they only expended a #29 pick on him. If he ends up being a starting caliber player, or maybe even an above average impact guy--then them swinging for the fences will have been a gamble that paid off.

Classic boom or bust, but the risk of swinging away is fairly low, given where they were picking.

Last edited:
SWC75 said:
Supposedly the story on Why Chris McCullough was drafted ahead of Rakeem Christmas, who has obviously accomplished more in his career and if clearly a better player right now is that Christmas is 23 and has likely peaked while McCullough has a world of untapped potential. But keep in mind Christmas grew up in St. Croix and only came to Philadelphia at age 13. He was a baseball fan and his commitment to basketball was late. It's possible Chris McCullough has been playing serious, competitive basketball as long as Rakeem has. And Rakeem last year made one of the biggest leaps in performance we've ever seen here. Who can say if he's stopped developing? I'm not saying anything bad about Chris. I just don't think Rakeem is an "old" prospect, (imagine if he were a 23 year old baseball player), and I don't know that he's peaked yet.

I actually think that's why placing too much emphasis on potential is dangerous. The NBA has a bunch guys who played 2-4 years in college and seemingly came out of nowhere. Jimmy Butler comes to mind.

Players who grow in college and get better will probably continue to grow in the league because they've learned the how's and the why's of work ethic. You know - the normal stuff young adults learn at college.

Learning those lessons while on a team with that kind of $ floating around? Much harder.

It's more than just the potential the younger guys have. Most of them have little basketball knowledge and NBA teams can shape them into what they need them to be. The older players have learned systems and habits that will not be applicable to the NBA game. (like the 2-3 zone)

skurey said:
It's more than just the potential the younger guys have. Most of them have little basketball knowledge and NBA teams can shape them into what they need them to be. The older players have learned systems and habits that will not be applicable to the NBA game. (like the 2-3 zone)

I'd take a guy who has learned how to work hard at his craft in a system than a raw guy who has one year of college under his belt - talent being equal.

College grad is closer to being a professional (the ability to learn, value of working hard, value of trusting a coach and system).

I'd take a guy who has learned how to work hard at his craft in a system than a raw guy who has one year of college under his belt - talent being equal.

College grad is closer to being a professional (the ability to learn, value of working hard, value of trusting a coach and system).

The talent is never equal, because those 4 year guys you're lauding from the past? Would be one year players now. 4 year players don't go high in the draft because they've already been drafted. If Anthony Davis had stayed four years, he'd still come out #1 overall. 4 year players go low because they were always going to go low.

Draymond Green was a four year player. He's going to get a near max contract. He was picked 35th. Rak will have a chance to get run if he can prove he can defend the pick and roll, dive to the rim on the pick and roll, and rebound. Those are the requirements to be a successful 4 or 5 in today's NBA. I

The first ten picks of the second round have yielded some great NBA talent. I'm hoping Rak is the next to follow in the pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom