Late season skids happen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Late season skids happen

Once Trevor gets back on track, and I feel like he will, we'll be okay.

this seems logical until you look at the numbers.

last season cooney shot 27% from 3-point range.

this season he's up to 39%.

however, in pre-ACC games he shot 50% (43-86), while in ACC games he's hit 31% of his attempts (40-128). (i know it's just piling on, but if you take out the ND game, that percentage dips to 27%.)

let's go back to syracuse's december 15 game against st. john's. in the two games before and after that match up, cooney shot 63% (20-32) from 3-point range. during the st. john's game, though, he went 0-3. and that's what i loved about him at the time: he played the majority of the game against the johnnies (27 minutes), didn't score, but contributed in other ways, including playing great defense.

simply put, pre-ACC he let his offensive game come to him, and both he and the team benefited from it.

when you compare the st. john's win to syracuse's first ACC game, in which cooney shot 2-12 with all of the attempts being 3s, you have perhaps the most glaring reason why syracuse's offense has plummeted the way it has.

back to the original point: i'm frustrated right now and i probably don't mean it, but there's a chance that cooney has, in fact, gotten "on track," and that his pre-ACC performance was the outlier.

however, in pre-ACC games he shot 50% (43-86), while in ACC games he's hit 31% of his attempts (40-128). (i know it's just piling on, but if you take out the ND game, that percentage dips to 27%.)

let's go back to syracuse's december 15 game against st. john's. in the two games before and after that match up, cooney shot 63% (20-32) from 3-point range. during the st. john's game, though, he went 0-3. and that's what i loved about him at the time: he played the majority of the game against the johnnies (27 minutes), didn't score, but contributed in other ways, including playing great defense.

simply put, pre-ACC he let his offensive game come to him, and both he and the team benefited from it.

when you compare the st. john's win to syracuse's first ACC game, in which cooney shot 2-12 with all of the attempts being 3s, you have perhaps the most glaring reason why syracuse's offense has plummeted the way it has.

back to the original point: i'm frustrated right now and i probably don't mean it, but there's a chance that cooney has, in fact, gotten "on track," and that his pre-ACC performance was the outlier.

A lot of Cooney's lack of 3 pt success in ACC play is because of coaching. JB has forgotten more than I will ever know about basketball, but one thing I do know is how Cooney is going to run the same ball/double ball screens under the basket to try and get open. This is very easy to defend because all the defender has to do is not chase him from behind, but go "under" (or over?) the screen and find him on the other side of it. Very very basic offensive sets we've been seeing...

And if that's the case, he should let the offense come to him. I almost feel like we are in a vicious cycle, where Trevor feels he has to score so he shoots and misses, forcing CJ to force it, forcing TE to force it...and so on and so on...In my humble opinion, threes are not answer. It's hitting a few mid range jumpers early...We'll see...

And if that's the case, he should let the offense come to him. I almost feel like we are in a vicious cycle, where Trevor feels he has to score so he shoots and misses, forcing CJ to force it, forcing TE to force it...and so on and so on...In my humble opinion, threes are not answer. It's hitting a few mid range jumpers early...We'll see...

that's the maddening thing about cooney: the guy's an athlete who can seemingly get to the hoop at will. since the conference games started, though, he's turned into marius janulis.

conradical said:
that's the maddening thing about cooney: the guy's an athlete who can seemingly get to the hoop at will. since the conference games started, though, he's turned into marius janulis.
He went to the rim last night and got stuffed on more than 1 occasion. He never passes.

I really don't think how we are playing now will matter in two weeks. We won the big east tourney two years in a row in the mid oughts and were knocked out in the first round both times. last year we stunk and got to the final four. Thats why I think we will turn it around. Law of averages is on our side. We will start playing better.

I really don't think how we are playing now will matter in two weeks. We won the big east tourney two years in a row in the mid oughts and were knocked out in the first round both times. last year we stunk and got to the final four. Thats why I think we will turn it around. Law of averages is on our side. We will start playing better.

syracuse caught all the breaks in their first 25 games. i'm not so sure that having that trend change in a mere five games means the law of averages is on syracuse's side.

He went to the rim last night and got stuffed on more than 1 occasion. He never passes.

Both times he got stuffed he had the option of pulling up for a 5 footer. The worst that would of happened was getting fouled...

syracuse caught all the breaks in their first 25 games. i'm not so sure that having that trend change in a mere five games means the law of averages is on syracuse's side.

Come on. We know this team is better than GT and BC. We have seen them play much better this year. IF Grant comes back that will help. IF Cooney is about to regain his pre-conference shooting, we are golden. I am not blaming Cooney for the slide. But Cooney shooting 15% better from 3 point range does a heck of a lot more for this team than get us 6 or 9 points extra per game (although even just that would have saved us from all but the UVa loss).

The team is mired in an offensive swamp with his current shooting. When he's shooting well, it allows all the gears to turn. I still think mental and physical fatigue have caused his drop in shooting pct. If he experiences a rebirth like Southerland did last year, get your tickets to the Final Four. If not, we likely will not win more than 1 game in the NCAA tourney.

FairfaxOrange said:
Both times he got stuffed he had the option of pulling up for a 5 footer. The worst that would of happened was getting fouled...
Exactly. Our guys also always drive baseline. Go middle!

I love hearing announcers game in/game out talk about Cooney like "he's one of the best shooters in the country".

Maybe he's just not that good. Maybe we need to realize this. Just because a guy got hot in a few games over the course of 2 years of awful shooting doesnt make him sharp shooter just because hes white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom