Latest thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Latest thoughts

Who do you want the most regardless of class

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Francis03

All American
The last two weeks were fun and interesting with the coaches being able to get out and watch these tourneys in April once again. You can check for the weekend's update in the link below if you missed it.
http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2012/04/spring-open-evaluation-period-27-29.html

Well I knocked one down already on the potential 2013 class :) but the rest well be very interesting. Nolan (Toronto Cuse) summarized it best about Ennis. SU is looking good at this point but you never want to rush anybody to make a decision. I don't really have a good feel for who the serious comp is currently, even though I know a lot of schools have shown interest lately. The staff has still kept their options open with other guards in 2013. Rysheed Jordan, Al Freeman, Hallice Cooke, Hakim Saintil, Anthony Barber, Steve Haney, are all guards who the staff gave looks to during the evaluation period. Jermaine Lawrence, Tyler Roberson, and Ishmail Wainright are forwards that are high on the list as well. As far as the bigs are concern, at this point Indiana is looking strong with BeeJay Anya and no offer has been made yet to Chinonso Obokoh. We'll see what happens there moving forward. I'm sure more names will creep up but at this time those names are the main ones that SU have been tracking down the most.

As far as 2014 the player that I'm most curious about is Noah Vonleh. Nobody knows at this point what his plans are for which class he'll end up in. I personally feel that it will eventually be 2013. I'm going to leave the Isaiah Whitehead situation alone :confused: lol. Dakari Johnson, JaQuan Newton, Phil Booth, Stanley Johnson, Ben Bentil, and Theo Pinson were some of the 2014 names linked to SU the most during the evaluation period.

Expect Rochester's 2015 phenom Thomas Bryant's recruitment to take off now. I heard quite a few high-major coaches had their eyes on him over the weekend in Virginia.

Chris Walker and Andrew Wiggins are not realistic options for SU. Pay no mind when you see their names mentioned in connection.

I'll have a new piece on the blog within the week called the best of rest. In it I'm going to highlight some of the best and most realistic options that imho I think SU should give a look at.

We aren't recruiting him but have you seen 2015 Mickey Mitchell from Texas in your travels. I saw him at Beachball and was extremely impressed. I haven't seen a list for him but I'm sure it's Kansas Texas UNC Duke etc..

We aren't recruiting him but have you seen 2015 Mickey Mitchell from Texas in your travels. I saw him at Beachball and was extremely impressed. I haven't seen a list for him but I'm sure it's Kansas Texas UNC Duke etc..
I heard he's a QB prospect as well in football. If that's true then I wonder what sport he'll choose in college.

Francis, I think what we are now looking at for recruitment is that 'Cuse is one of the TOP 10 schools for prospects. Once geography, dollars, and team composition is pushed to the side (meaning understood and not key factor) I believe that 'Cuse is a selector school. Joining the ACC I believe will help with recruitment not deter it. We will always be a northern school; we will play every year at the Garden; we will play a few of our former BE brothers (Rutgirls possible too) every year; travel time for player families from the northeast and or ACC country is not that difficult...Recruitment is going to get better and better!

Great stuff as always Francis, thanks.

The poll up top is a difficult choice, since the most talented recruits don't always lead to the most team success. It's almost that "in between" type recruit (real good college player, but lacking in one area such that he is not tempted by NBA too early) that you often want to target.

As far as the recruit I think would most contribute to SU winning lots of games over the coming years, I would go with Ennis. He does so much to contribute to a winning team...I feel his impact is often underappreciated.

But I think it's simply a matter of time before Thomas Bryant absolutely blows up (as you alluded to up top). In fact, we may be entering that time period right now, IMO. I mean, he was already one of the top prospects in his class as early as last summer (easily one of top 3 players in a 2015 all-star game played last summer) and became a major contributor to his high school varsity team this past year...and now the recruiting services are listing him as 6-9, 200lbs! Pretty sure he was only 6-6 or so last summer...so he must still be growing (and growing into his body), so to think there is still major upside in his game is scary.

So taking that into consideration, and the fact that he resides in Rochester, I think he may be the player I would most like SU to get, regardless of class.

Francis -thanks for the updates. I was wondering if you had a ranking -either yours or how you would rate the staffs - of the '13 pgs. I consider this the number one priority. It seems like the staff should have had a pg in '12 and now really needs one for '13.

How large do you see the gap between Ennis and Number 2? Seems like that would have to be a factor in taking a summer offer vs waiting on the hope that Ennis would commit.

Are there any pgs you would take in the summer vs waiting out a decision from Ennis?

It's interesting that in some years that the top players announce early and that in some years, like this past, they wait until the very end. I think most people enjoy it better when the players make their minds up early. It's very interesting going through these lists to see which schools the top guys are thinking. Thanks for your stuff, Francis.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752

Francis, what about Youssopha Kane? Have you seen him play? Thoughts?
I actually have a full game of his from a recent tourney. Will watch and then have my thoughts on him along with a few others when I get the chance.

I've been saying it all along, Anya will be a Hoosier.

Francis, any word on Jeremi Grant's brother Jaelin? Heard he was going to be a top-30 player and will be on the DaMatha varsity squad next year as a freshman.

Francis -thanks for the updates. I was wondering if you had a ranking -either yours or how you would rate the staffs - of the '13 pgs. I consider this the number one priority. It seems like the staff should have had a pg in '12 and now really needs one for '13.

How large do you see the gap between Ennis and Number 2? Seems like that would have to be a factor in taking a summer offer vs waiting on the hope that Ennis would commit.

Are there any pgs you would take in the summer vs waiting out a decision from Ennis?
Rysheed Jordan is the player that intrigues me the most. Tough Philly combo guard who I think JB would love. Nova, Temple, and Maryland are on him heavy but SU has shown a lot of interest late. The coaches love Ennis, so unless they get a feeling that eventually things will turn south then no I don't think they'll take another PG until he makes a decision. Patience is key, remember before DC2 committed that the staff showed no real interest in any other big men. This was before the Noel reclassification.

I've been saying it all along, Anya will be a Hoosier.

Francis, any word on Jeremi Grant's brother Jaelin? Heard he was going to be a top-30 player and will be on the DaMatha varsity squad next year as a freshman.
Haven't heard much about him. I never like to focus on any player that isn't in high school yet. I've heard about a Canadian who some feel could be the #1 player overall in 2016 and his name is Justin Jackson. He was originally suppose to be in 2015 but reclassified back.

Rysheed Jordan has always been a guy for some reason that has stood out to me in '13 as far as pg's go. Francis, do you think if Vonleh reclassifies to 2013 it helps, hurts, or doesn't really impact our chances at all? I'm also pretty interested in hearing how you think Kane compares to Obokoh after getting a chance to watch Kane a little more. Kane looked pretty fluid in the YouTube video posted in the other thread.

If Vonleh reclasses to '13 I think it really hurts SU chances. We have no open forward spot for 13-14 with Christmas being a jr and CJ a sr. It's unlikely CJ leaves after next season, looks like a 4-yr guy. While both UNC and UK will have open spots and lots of PT to offer and Vonleh will want to start immediately wherever he goes. Hope he decides to stay in '14.

Rysheed Jordan has always been a guy for some reason that has stood out to me in '13 as far as pg's go. Francis, do you think if Vonleh reclassifies to 2013 it helps, hurts, or doesn't really impact our chances at all? I'm also pretty interested in hearing how you think Kane compares to Obokoh after getting a chance to watch Kane a little more. Kane looked pretty fluid in the YouTube video posted in the other thread.
Getting Vonleh is going to be a dogfight either way, but I would feel more confident in 2014 since CJ will be gone.

What's Vonleh's game like? Is he a versatile scorer, or just a great athlete who does his damage inside of 15 feet, or what?

As far as the poll choice, I selected Ennis, because I decided to be practical. It's our position of need in the immediate future.

It's interesting that in some years that the top players announce early and that in some years, like this past, they wait until the very end. I think most people enjoy it better when the players make their minds up early. It's very interesting going through these lists to see which schools the top guys are thinking. Thanks for your stuff, Francis.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752

I think the whole Kentucky semi-pro phenomenon is going to make a large number of elite recruits wait until spring - at least as long as Cal remains at Kentucky.

I think the whole Kentucky semi-pro phenomenon is going to make a large number of elite recruits wait until spring - at least as long as Cal remains at Kentucky.

it's the ass that i like,so don't get your hopes up:p

but that avatar should take precedent over this thread...there's just way to many serious people here,get with it boys

it's the ass that i like,so don't get your hopes up:p

but that avatar should take precedent over this thread...there's just way to many serious people here,get with it boys
I'd like to know who is attached to that ass. I hope it's not IthacaMatt, because that would make things awkward.

I see Jermaine Lawrence isn't getting any love on the polls lol. He could be the most talented player that SU lands for 2013. Just goes to show you how highly the 2014/15 classes are thought of.

I see Jermaine Lawrence isn't getting any love on the polls lol. He could be the most talented player that SU lands for 2013. Just goes to show you how highly the 2014/15 classes are thought of.

Lol I would love to get Jermaine Lawrence. I think it's because the others have been on the radar and discussed a lot more. It's too bad you think he might be a long shot, everyone seems to be raving about his play the last couple weekends. I'm interested to see some film or highlight tapes on him. Francis what do you think his ceiling is in terms of immediate impact and next level?

Rysheed Jordan is the player that intrigues me the most. Tough Philly combo guard who I think JB would love. Nova, Temple, and Maryland are on him heavy but SU has shown a lot of interest late. The coaches love Ennis, so unless they get a feeling that eventually things will turn south then no I don't think they'll take another PG until he makes a decision. Patience is key, remember before DC2 committed that the staff showed no real interest in any other big men. This was before the Noel reclassification.
Francis - according to the site at the top here, they have Rysheed's composite rank significantly ahead of Ennis (4.7 v 4.3). How do you view the two? I have heard Ennis compared to Edelin who would you compare Jordan to?

Do you think the coaches could do a switch, consider Rysheed to be their number one pg target? Get on him while it could still be considered early, the schools currently listed aren't generally considered in SUs class (-well maybe 'Nova used to be but isn't right now). The idea that they identified Ennis early does not look like it will result in an early commit.

SU had the luxury of being patient with DC2. For '12 they had Fab, Rak, and BMK scheduled at center. For '13 SU has only MCW slated at pg.
You seem to be advocating patience for Ennis, as apposed to my preference of SU going first person to commit between Jordan and Ennis, why?

Umd is going after jordan very hard, its not lie we can just swoop in and take jordan if we want., and who knows he could be a kid that waits until the pring as well. The staff wont be left out in the dark. Jordans a big strong guard 6-4, nba athletcism and plays very hard needs to work on his jumper but great in pick and rolls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom