LaVar Bell’s new league | Syracusefan.com

LaVar Bell’s new league

I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand this guy may be a genius and on the other he may be a big dummy. I do like the idea of him shoving it up the ncaa's butt because of how crooked they are but I'm not sure if this will take off. Guess time will tell and alot will depend on what the NBA does about the college one and done stuff. Either way money talks so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Can a new triple B league outbid Adidas for players?

Interesting. I hope it's successful. We'll see what kind of effect it has on college and pro ball.

It's not a terrible idea.

It's not a good idea.

You know what I mean.

Let him try. I figure if someone could make money off these kids it would have been done long ago by people with more knowledge and more money including the NBA. If it works, good for him. Finding places to play, paying for travel, coaches able to develop the kids, trainers, medical, practice facilities, player salaries etc while still making money - good luck unless he gets some other big named investors.

Let him try. I figure if someone could make money off these kids it would have been done long ago by people with more knowledge and more money including the NBA. If it works, good for him. Finding places to play, paying for travel, coaches able to develop the kids, trainers, medical, practice facilities, player salaries etc while still making money - good luck unless he gets some other big named investors.

All true...but there is a huge difference now compared to times in the past that people have probably thought of doing something like this. For one social media. Lavar and his brand and some of these top highschool prospects have insane following and could draw huge crowds to come watch. For example look at the youngest ball and someone like zion williamson who have millions of followers on IG. Some of their aau games this summer were insane with the amount of people that came out to watch them play. They are also striking at the right time while the NCAA looks more crooked then ever. If and it's still a big if they can get the funding and things needed in place like tv deals etc for this to be successful it could be interesting. Also getting the top 80 kids in highschool to commit to throwing away college all for a little bit of money (a good chunk of change but still small in the grand scheme of things) and the idea that they will all have a chance to get drafted high after a year in this so called league over kids playing in college will be a tough sale.

Last edited:
What happens when the rules change and kids can get drafted directly out of high school? Bet it will happen. He will be sponsoring in essence a street ball organization. Those teams already play without the ‘distractions’ of school requirements but the NBA certainly doesn’t seem to be picking these players up to fill their rosters. Top recruits who aren’t NBA ready will still be sent to the G League. The NBA has no reason to fill LaVar’s pockets to develop talent for them and compete with their own G League.

The best possibility is that this will turn into some version of the USFL. Worst outcome is this ends up more like the XFL. Ten point shots will be a thing, etc. Actually, another possibility is that players are encouraged to be as outrageous as possible and the entire league is packed with Dennis Rodman clones.

What happens when the rules change and kids can get drafted directly out of high school? Bet it will happen. He will be sponsoring in essence a street ball organization. Those teams already play without the ‘distractions’ of school requirements but the NBA certainly doesn’t seem to be picking these players up to fill their rosters. Top recruits who aren’t NBA ready will still be sent to the G League. The NBA has no reason to fill LaVar’s pockets to develop talent for them and compete with their own G League.

This is what will happen.

The best possibility is that this will turn into some version of the USFL. Worst outcome is this ends up more like the XFL. Ten point shots will be a thing, etc. Actually, another possibility is that players are encouraged to be as outrageous as possible and the entire league is packed with Dennis Rodman clones.
I think you are under estimating how bad this could be. The best possibility is that Lavar is again just spouting crap off the top of his head. I could make a fricken website! Also best possibility is that Lavar gives up this stupid notion before the new year. A Worst outcome would be Lavar actually attempting this and costing someone else's kids their chance for a free education.

I think you are under estimating how bad this could be. The best possibility is that Lavar is again just spouting crap off the top of his head. I could make a fricken website! Also best possibility is that Lavar gives up this stupid notion before the new year. A Worst outcome would be Lavar actually attempting this and costing someone else's kids their chance for a free education.

How many of the kids who would be interested in this kind of thing would otherwise go to school for 4 years? I feel like most of the people he would be attracting are the people who are going to leave school after a year anyway (or really, a semester if we're being honest).

How many of the kids who would be interested in this kind of thing would otherwise go to school for 4 years? I feel like most of the people he would be attracting are the people who are going to leave school after a year anyway (or really, a semester if we're being honest).
If they were good they would have been drafted. Maybe the dropouts because of academics etc or who didn't get drafted after declaring but what market is there for people to even spend money to watch? No tv Appeal. Well it's his money to spend and guarantees his son's will have a league to play in.

If they were good they would have been drafted. Maybe the dropouts because of academics etc or who didn't get drafted after declaring but what market is there for people to even spend money to watch? No tv Appeal. Well it's his money to spend and guarantees his son's will have a league to play in.

Isn't he shooting for the kids who aren't eligible to be drafted yet? The kids who don't want to pretend to go to school for a year.

Isn't he shooting for the kids who aren't eligible to be drafted yet? The kids who don't want to pretend to go to school for a year.

He's looking for enough kids to play against his own HS-drop-outs here in the US, so they don't actually have to spend a year in Lithuania.

I'm thinking he's not planning on using his own money. He's fishing for investors. He figuring if Bitcoin can do it, so can he.

NBA will allow players to get drafted out of HS soon. They're too invested in the NCAA and the G-League to train & market new players to allow the opportunity for someone else to get a start up.

I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand this guy may be a genius and on the other he may be a big dummy. I do like the idea of him shoving it up the ncaa's butt because of how crooked they are but I'm not sure if this will take off. Guess time will tell and alot will depend on what the NBA does about the college one and done stuff. Either way money talks so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
He needs a sponsor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom