LeMoyne College exploring move to D1 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College exploring move to D1

Stonehill just jumped up and in the same conference. I wonder if all those teams are investigating the move

Le Moyne went through this entire process about 10-12 years ago - consultants and all - and determined the costs associated with it to be too exorbitant, without enough return on investment. I’d have to imagine that cost has risen exponentially since that time.

Beyond the approximately $2M application fee for reclassification, a significant upgrade in facilities would be required (I believe that number was in the $8-$10M range 10 years ago, so I’m sure it’s at least double that now). Additionally, last I knew, D1 members had to spend a minimum of $4M annually on athletic scholarships/grant-in-aid. Not an easy task for a small school like Le Moyne.

Le Moyne 82, Syracuse 79​

adios man to man. emotionally and professionally scarred JB for life.

Last edited:
When I committed to play soccer there, they were supposed to move up to D1 by the time I was a Senior. That was part of the draw for me. Obviously never happened. But still had a good time on the Heights... and in the Cuse.

When I committed to play soccer there, they were supposed to move up to D1 by the time I was a Senior. That was part of the draw for me. Obviously never happened. But still had a good time on the Heights... and in the Cuse.

How long ago was that?

Interesting that they’re exploring a transition up to D1 but also a transition down to d3… seems like opposite extremes and it almost guarantees they’re staying D2

Interesting that they’re exploring a transition up to D1 but also a transition down to d3… seems like opposite extremes and it almost guarantees they’re staying D2

The same thing was explored the previous time, the reason being that there are far more D3 schools to compete against within a two hour radius than D2 schools. Would greatly reduce both travel time and the travel budget while creating some new natural rivalries due to geography.

The same thing was explored the previous time, the reason being that there are far more D3 schools to compete against within a two hour radius than D2 schools. Would greatly reduce both travel time and the travel budget while creating some new natural rivalries due to geography.
This would be a big reason for them to go to D-3. There's something of an opposite in Florida. Rollins College (in Winter Park outside Orlando) would be much better off by having their sports in D-3 based on the size of the school but has to play in D-2 because there are no D-3 schools in FL.

This would be a big reason for them to go to D-3. There's something of an opposite in Florida. Rollins College (in Winter Park outside Orlando) would be much better off by having their sports in D-3 based on the size of the school but has to play in D-2 because there are no D-3 schools in FL.

They got a lot of pushback from alumni last time regarding dropping to D3. I’d expect more of the same again this time around.

Hartford is in the process of going D1 to D3 right now.

Monmouth is leaving the MAAC D1 conference, wonder if they sent out feelers to Lemoyne as a replacement. It was the MAAC that threw Lemoyne’s baseball team out of their conference 15 years ago,