Let's Assume Scott Frost is the New SU HC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's Assume Scott Frost is the New SU HC

Eagles O line coach Jeff Stoutland coached at SU in late 90's. Good research btw..

Who is Oregon's "passing game coordinator" those guys are usually next in line for OC so maybe Frost can take him from Oregon for his OC if Oregon looks in a different direction?
Matt lubick

If Lubick isn't the next OC at Oregon he is a very interesting name has connection in the ACC already if I remember correctly he coached at Duke?

What bothers me is that a peer program like Rutgers is looking at head coaches -- Schiano, Fleck and Golden -- while we seem to be targeting coordinators.

Hey, maybe it's no big deal.

For crying out loud, you really would rather Schiano or Golden?

You need to take a little bit of a break from the negative nancy routine.

What bothers me is that a peer program like Rutgers is looking at head coaches -- Schiano, Fleck and Golden -- while we seem to be targeting coordinators.

Golden would be a great hire for Rutgirls.

I wonder if Frost and Raheem Morris stayed in touch. Wonder if he would consider AHC and DC.

SUFan44 said:
For crying out loud, you really would rather Schiano or Golden? You need to take a little bit of a break from the negative nancy routine.

Did I say I wanted Schiano or Golden?

You missed the point of my post.

cuseguy said:

Tom Herman was a coordinator just last year. Some big programs are looking at Kirby Smart. Isn't Maryland looking a coordinator?

Schiano and Golden havent done ish as head coaches. Why would you think that would change? Becuase Bellicheck turned it around? I'll take a flyer on an up and coming coordinator, especially since our budget wont let us get the proven successful guy from a bigger program.

cuseguy said:
Did I say I wanted Schiano or Golden? You missed the point of my post.
I think you are trying to say "Rutgers is going after higher experienced/ pedigreed coaches". But I think his point is that they aren't higher pedigreed coaches.

I think you both understand each other well.

tep624 said:
You'd rather us target failed HC's than successful coordinators?

I guess you didn't read what I just posted.

I guess you didn't read what I just posted.

Pretty sure I did. You mentioned Rutgers going after HC's, one of which is a flameout from the NFL who was 68-67 at Rutgers with half his wins coming against MAC opponents and service academies, and the other just flamed out at a fellow ACC school. So yeah, I read what you wrote.

What's interesting is that SU has never hired a head coach with Division 1 head coaching experience.

Ben, Maloney, Mac, P, GRob, Marrone, Shafer. Not one with D1 head coach experience.

Mac was a head coach at UMass, but they obviously weren't Division 1.

So we have a history, good and bad.

We're due for good.

tep624 said:
Pretty sure I did. You mentioned Rutgers going after HC's, one of which is a flameout from the NFL who was 68-67 at Rutgers with half his wins coming against MAC opponents and service academies, and the other just flamed out at a fellow ACC school. So yeah, I read what you wrote.

But I didn't say I wanted those guys.

Just pointing out that they're looking at former and current head coaches.

Fleck is the only guy I really like in that group.

But I didn't say I wanted those guys.

Just pointing out that they're looking at former and current head coaches.

Fleck is the only guy I really like in that group.

Agreed. I think part of the problem is that there aren't enough solid HC candidates with HC experience that are reasonable fits here. Fleck is one.

Did I say I wanted Schiano or Golden?

You missed the point of my post.

Our new athletic director is charged with a very important decision - and he knows it's going to be the most important decision he makes at his new job. This will, for better or worse, make or break him. Darryl Gross was never able to truly recover from his Greg Robinson decision, despite doing a number of good things that helped the athletic department as a whole (understandably with no real budget or reasoning behind a few things, but he did do a few things that did help the department).

We have won two national championships and have a legitimate shot at a third just in the fall season! And that isn't even counting men's and women's lacrosse, who perennially have a shot, not to mention men's basketball (who I don't think has a legit shot, but with what we saw in '96 and '03, crazy things can happen with Jim Boeheim and teams that aren't expected to do much). But Gross will always be judged - rightly or wrongly - by his Robinson hire.

With all of that being said, Coyle is going to do what he feels is in the best interest of the program. He's going to go after someone he trusts and believes will do the job that needs to be done. There have been many coordinators who have failed as head coaches. There have also been just as many head coaches that have failed when they have moved up in level or have moved to a different job.

Just because you, as a (presumably?) Syracuse alum believe that it is in the best interest of the University to hire someone that has previous head coaching experience doesn't mean that it should happen. Especially with the list you provided, at least in my opinion. And more importantly, your opinion does not mean that the people who have previous head coaching experience are the best candidates in the opinion of the athletic director.

This is a message board and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not trying to be someone who says what you should or shouldn't post. What do I care? But I think and wish more people would maybe look at the bright side of certain things, rather than look at the negative.

In Frost We Trust.

SUFan44 said:
Our new athletic director is charged with a very important decision - and he knows it's going to be the most important decision he makes at his new job. This will, for better or worse, make or break him. Darryl Gross was never able to truly recover from his Greg Robinson decision, despite doing a number of good things that helped the athletic department as a whole (understandably with no real budget or reasoning behind a few things, but he did do a few things that did help the department). We have won two national championships and have a legitimate shot at a third just in the fall season! And that isn't even counting men's and women's lacrosse, who perennially have a shot, not to mention men's basketball (who I don't think has a legit shot, but with what we saw in '96 and '03, crazy things can happen with Jim Boeheim and teams that aren't expected to do much). But Gross will always be judged - rightly or wrongly - by his Robinson hire. With all of that being said, Coyle is going to do what he feels is in the best interest of the program. He's going to go after someone he trusts and believes will do the job that needs to be done. There have been many coordinators who have failed as head coaches. There have also been just as many head coaches that have failed when they have moved up in level or have moved to a different job. Just because you, as a (presumably?) Syracuse alum believe that it is in the best interest of the University to hire someone that has previous head coaching experience doesn't mean that it should happen. Especially with the list you provided, at least in my opinion. And more importantly, your opinion does not mean that the people who have previous head coaching experience are the best candidates in the opinion of the athletic director. This is a message board and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not trying to be someone who says what you should or shouldn't post. What do I care? But I think and wish more people would maybe look at the bright side of certain things, rather than look at the negative. In Frost We Trust.

I think Frost could turn out to be a great hire.

I'll be disappointed at this point if it's not him.

I like what he brings to the table.

I was merely pointing out something that was both interesting and a little concerning.

But in no way do I think a coordinator can't be successful.

Golden would be a great hire for Rutgirls.
He could move back to his old neighborhood in Colts Neck. I know one of his old neighbors is ready to sell.

He could move back to his old neighborhood in Colts Neck. I know one of his old neighbors is ready to sell.
That's some pricey real estate... and one of the reasons why I don't live in Monmouth County.

Without a doubt, if it's Frost I think he'll try to bring Lubick with him as the OC. Though it seems clear that Oregon will try to keep Lubick and move him up as well.

Oregon fans sound like they're hearing Frost is GONE: Frost to Syracuse
Anyone with VIP access able to see Justin Hopkins post? The post immediately after that seems to basically imply Hopkins just said Frost is gone.

Rather than reply individually, here is a general response to questions raised on this thread. I am again assuming Frost decides to accept Coyle's offer to be the next SU HC.

Stoutland would be a home run hire as an OL coach but I think the only way he would come here would be as the OC, and I don't think he is knowledgeable enough in the Oregon system to do that. He is highly respected and I think he will have any number of landing spots more attractive than the SU OL position.

I would hazard a guess that Lubick would be Frost's first choice to be his OC. However, I think he will probably be the first choice to replace Frost at OC at Oregon. If he is offered that job, there is no way he is going to come here. I think it is going to be tough for Frost to get anyone on the Oregon coaching staff that coaches offense to follow him to SU. They have to pay top dollar, they have great facilities, great talent and a great situation to be successful in. If you are an offensive coach, you want to coach at a school with a great offensive system where you are in the spotlight and have a chance to get attractive offers from other schools that want to replicate the system elsewhere. If Frost can get Lubbick as the OC, it would be another home run hire. I think it highly unlikely.

Lastly, I don't have any insider info on who the next HC is going to be. I will say Frost is the first name everyone I talk to brings up to start conversations. Having I know is hearing Frost is the top guy on the list. I am confident he is our first choice. The question is, does he want the job?

Last edited:
Rather than reply individually, here is a general response to questions raised on this thread. I am again assuming Frost decides to accept Coyle's offer to be the next SU HC.

Stoutland would be a home run hire as an OL coach but I think the only way he would come here would be as the OC, and I don't think he is knowledgeable enough in the Oregon system to do that. He is highly respected and I think he will have any number of landing spots more attractive than the SU OL position.

I would hazard a guess that Lubick would be Frost's first choice to be his OC. However, I think he will probably be the first choice to replace Frost at OC at Oregon. If he is offered that job, there is no way he is going to come here. I think it is going to be tough for Frost to get anyone on the Oregon coaching staff that coaches offense to follow him to SU. They have to pay top dollar, they have great facilities, great talent and a great situation to be successful in. If you are an offensive coach, you want to coach at a school with a great offensive system where you are in the spotlight and have a chance to get attractive offers from other schools that want to replicate the system elsewhere. If Frost can get Lubbick as the OC, it would be another home run hire. I think it highly unlikely.

Lastly, I don't have any insider info on who the next HC is going to be. I will say Frost is the first name everyone I talk to brings up to start conversations. Having I know is hearing Frost is the top guy on the list. I am confident he is our first choice. The question is, does he want the job?

If Coyle is in the situation right now that Frost is thinking everything over with his agent/family, the next question becomes how long does Coyle wait for an answer? This has to be a record year for FBS HC openings, so the top names are going to be outbid for and the talent pool will start to dry up. This undoubtedly puts Coyle in a tough position. I wonder if he gave Frost a decision deadline due to the timing of everything. I mean you'd think he would've had to in order to protect his coaching search if Frost drags this out.

The next question is who's next? I have heard a few different names, but Frost is the overwhelming leader. Credit must be given to Coyle's camp for keeping this thing hush hush. If Gross was still here, all of the candidates and the offer sheet would've already been out.

Either way, I really hope we can lock someone up by Wednesday of this week. We are entering an absolutely crucial recruiting period and this next staff has their work cut out with the current players, recruits and any new recruits they want to bring in. Need to get started ASAP. Bravo to VT and Iowa St for locking their guys up early. Impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom