Let's get real - coaches we have a realistic chance to hire. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Let's get real - coaches we have a realistic chance to hire.

Left him out because he reportedly is not interested in returning to coaching.

Mullen is being paid by Florida through 2027.

I also think we wouldn't pay the $6-7mil it would take to get him if he was interested in going back to coaching now.

Mullen is being paid by Florida through 2027.

I also think we wouldn't pay the $6-7mil it would take to get him if he was interested in going back to coaching now.

If there's an offset to his buy-out, maybe he takes less so we can hire better assistants.

I am very hopeful given the names we are hearing. I have faith that Wildhack will make a good decision and, even if he can't get his first choice, the next few are terrific as well. Future looks bright!

And what if we end up with a guy like Steve Addazio or Jim McElwain. The fan base will be crushed especially with all these rumors circulating.
I’m not holding my breath. We did just hire our assistant basketball coach who was here during the downfall.

If there's an offset to his buy-out, maybe he takes less so we can hire better assistants.

I think he'd be a gr8 hire but is not a realistic hire for us

He says he isn't interested in coaching right now and if he magically became interested, it would likely be because of a big chunk of change offer. He is isn't coming to Syracuse on a budget offer to have extra assistant money.

I think he needs to be crossed off the list... Would love to be wrong about that though.

Last edited:
And what if we end up with a guy like Steve Addazio or Jim McElwain. The fan base will be crushed especially with all these rumors circulating.
I’m not holding my breath. We did just hire our assistant basketball coach who was here during the downfall.
ZERO chance of that happening.

I'd love to understand why Al Golden is on the short list. Everyone else makes some sense. He couldn't win in the Coastal when it was a mess of a division. I don't love Mullin either, but he's had way more success at a tough place to win.

He didn't "faceplant" at UVa. He quit abruptly because he didn't get the facilities he was promised (and the prospect of getting them looked dim at the time) and/or he wouldn't fire his DC (who was in bad need of firing) out of loyalty for following him from Provo. His departure came as a huge shock to the fanbase. No one was clamoring for his hide.
Thx for clarifying. I was not aware of the details, just that the firing seemed abrupt.

south park beat a dead horse GIF

I like Chesney, young, a great track record, although he might be waiting for BC to call.

Mullen would be fine, but I think he's pretty happy with his situation at this point. I would be.

Cignetti is interesting, but the current Duke coach might get an offer that would be hard to refuse and Cignetti would probably prefer going back to Duke.

He didn't "faceplant" at UVa. He quit abruptly because he didn't get the facilities he was promised (and the prospect of getting them looked dim at the time) and/or he wouldn't fire his DC (who was in bad need of firing) out of loyalty for following him from Provo. His departure came as a huge shock to the fanbase. No one was clamoring for his hide.
Correct. He was quite successful at precisely the ideal comparative institution to SU. But, hey, clam chowder.

I think he'd be a gr8 hire but is not a realistic hire for us

He says he isn't interested in coaching right now and if he magically became interested, it would likely be because of a big chunk of change offer. He is isn't coming to Syracuse on a budget offer to have extra assistant money.

I think he needs to be crossed off the list... Would love to be wrong about that though.

Well, the only other reason he'd want to do this again in the ACC is to show up some people who wrote him off in the past. The ACC remains a much easier path to the Playoffs than the SEC, but a trophy is a trophy is a trophy.

It could be a "revenge tour" job for a few years, and then retire, showing you could "still do it" at this level, and then leaving on your own terms.

Maybe we could sign him, make the announcement, and then wait for him. I think he's the best fit for what we need - outstanding coaching of the offensive line. Everything else flows from that. That's the biggest reason for Marrone's success, and that of Paqualoni and even Schwartzwalder, with his innovative (some might say anachronistic ...) use of the unbalanced line and single wing formations.
As an Eagles’ fan, I like him. As big of a need as the OL is, I’d prefer someone who has at least been a coordinator, if not head coaching experience.

We are not getting Jamey Chadwel, Liberty HC (Mississippi State?), Willie Fritz Tulane HC, Tony White (probably headed to SDSU). Urban Meyer (please stop), Matt Patricia, or any current NFL coach.

Following the model Wildhack gave us in his very interesting presser:
  1. "Really good leader"
  2. "Really clear communicator"
  3. Player Development - Eye for talent and can develop that talent" absolutely critical" "minimize the misses"
  4. Someone who can build a good staff.
  5. Someone who is going to represent the values of the university.
  6. Relationships with high school coaches in the NE.
  7. Northeastern recruiting experience - as a player, coach,assistant coach.
  8. Head coaching or P5 coordinating experience.
  9. Leadership qualities.
  10. Player development track record.
  11. SU connection an "attribute" not a requirement.
  12. Special teams experience a plus.
My names in ranked order.
  1. Bob Chesney HC Holy Cross (44-21)
  2. Curt Cignetti HC James Madison (coached Philip Rivers and recruited Russell Wilson)
  3. Jason Candle HC Toledo
  4. Liam Coen OC Kentucky
  5. Al Golden DC Notre Dame
  6. Charles Huff HC Marshall
  7. Chuck Martin HC Miami (OH)
There are a few I wouldn't be upset with like Bronco.
Who are your REALISTIC names.
You need to rethink your realistic candidates board

So if it not Mullen, I think I would want one of.,,

Chesney best small HC fit vs Candle, Cignetti, Martin.

Marrone best NFL fit, but maybe BOB. Hard no on Austin.

Golden best P5 Co fit vs White or Lewis.

Chip (if fired) best former P5 HC fit vs Bronco.