Lets talk football some keys | Syracusefan.com

Lets talk football some keys

kcsu

Living Legend
With the focus on LA as it should be i thought i would start a thread to get us back to ball and the keys for this fall. This will be random so here we go.

I'll start at the end. I think we win 8 in total including a bowl win and I think we beat Clemson.

Shrader is the key. Missing the Spring is tough as he needs to be on the same page with his receivers and with Beck. Not good but hopefully the surgery makes him a better passer. Other than the obvious I have a few key players this year. First up Stefon Thompson. Personally, I thought he was our most talented Front D player last year and I expect him to be a beast this season. Kid is a stud and is going to open eyes and make the league. Next up is Isaiah Johnson. He has NFL measurables and will be our next great SU DB. On O i think that Joe More is going to shine. I expect him to be a starter and excellent player. I'm not a coach but he has it and I believe he is going to end up being a super player for us. The German Bear Max is next on my list. He in my opinion comes into his own this year. He has only been playing ball for a few years and the transition to D1 football has to be unbelievably difficult. Still his measurables and athleticism is off the charts. Look for him to have a breakout year.
My last two are Jack S our new punter. According to my plane mate the kid destroys the ball. Punting is so important I think that Jack is going to light up the dome.
My last player is someone i believe holds the one of the major keys to us having a great O this year. Isiah Jones Based on my eye he is as talented is not more so than OG. Yes, more so as he has the size but also has the best hands on the team and speed.
Ok as I said a random post. One to get us onto something positive. Have at it and I hope that everyone is have a great weekend.

Always love your optimism. Maybe a bit bullish, but it gives me hope. You remind me of my cats. God rest his soul.

With the focus on LA as it should be i thought i would start a thread to get us back to ball and the keys for this fall. This will be random so here we go.

I'll start at the end. I think we win 8 in total including a bowl win and I think we beat Clemson.

Shrader is the key. Missing the Spring is tough as he needs to be on the same page with his receivers and with Beck. Not good but hopefully the surgery makes him a better passer. Other than the obvious I have a few key players this year. First up Stefon Thompson. Personally, I thought he was our most talented Front D player last year and I expect him to be a beast this season. Kid is a stud and is going to open eyes and make the league. Next up is Isaiah Johnson. He has NFL measurables and will be our next great SU DB. On O i think that Joe More is going to shine. I expect him to be a starter and excellent player. I'm not a coach but he has it and I believe he is going to end up being a super player for us. The German Bear Max is next on my list. He in my opinion comes into his own this year. He has only been playing ball for a few years and the transition to D1 football has to be unbelievably difficult. Still his measurables and athleticism is off the charts. Look for him to have a breakout year.
My last two are Jack S our new punter. According to my plane mate the kid destroys the ball. Punting is so important I think that Jack is going to light up the dome.
My last player is someone i believe holds the one of the major keys to us having a great O this year. Isiah Jones Based on my eye he is as talented is not more so than OG. Yes, more so as he has the size but also has the best hands on the team and speed.
Ok as I said a random post. One to get us onto something positive. Have at it and I hope that everyone is have a great weekend.
Nice post.

My keys for the season:

Reed must step up immediately as a reliable center.

Someone must step up at right tackle. More appears to have the first crack here. Hope you are right about him. PFF didn’t love him.

We need Shrader to stay healthy all year.

Someone needs to step up at RB. Hope it is Allen.

On defense,

I have confidence in our LBs and interior DL. Like our safeties and our one proven corner.

We need someone to step up at the other corner. Thinking it is going to be Bellamy but have seen little of most of the candidates here.

We also need someone, hopefully two guys, to step up as top level pass rushers at DE. Caleb of course will be our leader here. Might lead the conference in sacks. I think Jaquez will be close behind. Jobity is also ready to do damage and there are a few others who look impressive.

I think that our wr room is strong. As i posted i really like Jones. Og. Alford, Pena Brown, Hatcher all have an opportunity to break out.
If on of the TEs becomes a receiving threat watch out.

Always love your optimism. Maybe a bit bullish, but it gives me hope. You remind me of my cats. God rest his soul.
Gus likes your post:)

Nice post.

My keys for the season:

Reed must step up immediately as a reliable center.

Someone must step up at right tackle. More appears to have the first crack here. Hope you are right about him. PFF didn’t love him.

We need Shrader to stay healthy all year.

Someone needs to step up at RB. Hope it is Allen.

On defense,

I have confidence in our LBs and interior DL. Like our safeties and our one proven corner.

We need someone to step up at the other corner. Thinking it is going to be Bellamy but have seen little of most of the candidates here.

We also need someone, hopefully two guys, to step up as top level pass rushers at DE. Caleb of course will be our leader here. Might lead the conference in sacks. I think Jaquez will be close behind. Jobity is also ready to do damage and there are a few others who look impressive.
Im so excited that Reed made it. We have struggled at the center spot the last few seasons and if he is as good as advertised it will make everything click.
Lots of ifs but Reed Moore and Jones are my keys on O

Can you imagine if Damien Alford fulfills his promise at WR? Would be incredible.
Promise? He wasn’t johnnie Morant out of hs.

1. Are Thompson and Lockett 100% rehabbed from their knee injuries? These two can make a difference in our defense against the run.
2. Pass rush - depends on one or more of the younger DEs emerging. Jobity, Nolton, Jaquez, Simmons? We have numbers/depth - do we have quality? Won’t know until September.
3. OL - the transfers Reed and Dave Wohlabaugh Jr. add size and strength to that unit. How long will it take for these two to contribute? Bradford adds quality depth. It isn’t naming one key outstanding guy (Bergeron last season) as much as having better competition, and at least 2 or 3 guys in reserve who can step in.
4. The number and quality of our transfers-in — impressive work by the staff. Bellamy, Gould and Martin in the secondary - better prospects than many of our DB recruits not named Chestnut or G Williams.
5. Shrader’s health is the obvious #1 key, so the development of Carlos DR-W and transfer Braden Davis is also key.
6. Avoiding early season injuries. We lost a lot last season - Thompson, Lockett, I. Jones, G Williams (mid-season). Need better luck.

Keys:

1 Oline depth
2 LA plays
3 Avoid injury bug

I think we can have a 7+ win season if all 3 hold true. Aside from FSU, UNC, Clem, the schedule isn’t bad. I love our defense, especially the front 7.

1. Are Thompson and Lockett 100% rehabbed from their knee injuries? These two can make a difference in our defense against the run.
2. Pass rush - depends on one or more of the younger DEs emerging. Jobity, Nolton, Jaquez, Simmons? We have numbers/depth - do we have quality? Won’t know until September.
3. OL - the transfers Reed and Dave Wohlabaugh Jr. add size and strength to that unit. How long will it take for these two to contribute? Bradford adds quality depth. It isn’t naming one key outstanding guy (Bergeron last season) as much as having better competition, and at least 2 or 3 guys in reserve who can step in.
4. The number and quality of our transfers-in — impressive work by the staff. Bellamy, Gould and Martin in the secondary - better prospects than many of our DB recruits not named Chestnut or G Williams.
5. Shrader’s health is the obvious #1 key, so the development of Carlos DR-W and transfer Braden Davis is also key.
6. Avoiding early season injuries. We lost a lot last season - Thompson, Lockett, I. Jones, G Williams (mid-season). Need better luck.
Our best pass rusher might be Thompson

Im so excited that Reed made it. We have struggled at the center spot the last few seasons and if he is as good as advertised it will make everything click.
Lots of ifs but Reed Moore and Jones are my keys on O

You must not have thought much of the other OL since our center was our 2nd best run blocker and pass blocker last year.

Im so high on Jones. out of all of our WRs over the last 5 or so years he jumped off the screen for me. Size hands routes aggressive going to the ball and enough speed to make it all work. I truly think he has a chance to be special
Were you watching in practice? Because he has limited actual game experience.

OL by far.
always especially with a new QB. Lots of ifs on the OL but if what i heard was correct in that Bleitch is good to go and Moore and Reed step in we are going to be good and 8 or 9 deep

Were you watching in practice? Because he has limited actual game experience.
No my two cents is based on the limited time i have seen him. I think he has all of the tools required to excel. My sense is that Beck is going to use this kid extremely well. I expect him to become a star

He showed all of that in the limited game time he played until his injury.
My recall was he made a couple good catches vs Purdue and then he got injured.

Shrader has to "refine" his passing game and keep his shoulders and feet healthy.
He's going to have more worthy targets than OG only.
That will be needed because with LA's absence, it may take a while for the running game to
develop and deliver.

Can you imagine if Damien Alford fulfills his promise at WR? Would be incredible.
I convince myself every August that he’s going to be a pro.

The first down catch on the sideline he made against Clemson in Death Valley was the best catch I’ve ever seen in person.

You must not have thought much of the other OL since our center was our 2nd best run blocker and pass blocker last year.
I didnt realize that. What is the report that is based on?