"Liberalism has Destroyed the once great ACC" | Syracusefan.com

"Liberalism has Destroyed the once great ACC"

SC_OrangeNeck

Walk On
A sports journalist in Raleigh wrote a good story about the Duke-Cuse game. He is looking forward to many more top notch games in the future and awaits the arrival of Louisville as another top team in the conference. The story is at:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/the-spectacle-at-syracuse/13361597/

However, reading the comments I couldn't believe that someone actually posted the following:

"This the end of the greatest league...Acc is gone..Syracuse has no biz in the ACC...Liberalism has destroyed the once great ACC"

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ugc/page/3530905/?id=13361597

The comments are in the second link. I tried hard to come up with a good comment... all I can do is shake my head in total disbelief. So many things are wrong with that comment...

A sports journalist in Raleigh wrote a good story about the Duke-Cuse game. He is looking forward to many more top notch games in the future and awaits the arrival of Louisville as another top team in the conference. The story is at:

However, reading the comments I couldn't believe that someone actually posted the following:

"This the end of the greatest league...Acc is gone..Syracuse has no biz in the ACC...Liberalism has destroyed the once great ACC"

The comments are in the second link. I tried hard to come up with a good comment... all I can do is shake my head in total disbelief. So many things are wrong with that comment...

F the crackers. Sooner or later we'll own all their a$$es in all sports.

Internet comment sections have never been a bastion for the intelligent. You have to think it is only a matter of time before Darwin catches up to some of these people. Go read any ESPN article and the proceeding comments, you will get the feeling that civilization has already started it's demise.

Reagan_Bush_medium.jpg

He wouldn't understand, but you should have said " Well then if we win the National Championship it doesn't count as an ACC championship, because the ACC has been destroyed."

I thought that was a GREAT article! You absolutely can't pay attention to the comments section. It's a waste of precious brain space. The last time I was in North Carolina I saw a pick up truck sporting the bumper sticker THE SOUTH WAS RIGHT. People come from many different perspectives in this great country of ours. Occasionally, that will make me twitch. Sometimes more than occasionally. That's why I love Syracuse basketball. We can all unite around a common love and loyalty. And it distracts us from the problems of this world, and that's not a bad thing.

BTW, every single client I saw this week had seen the Duke/SU game. Every last one of them! Even the retired Emily Dickinson professor who spent most of her life in Mass. and never talked to me ONCE about basketball. It was the first thing out of her mouth: "How about that game Saturday night?" I said, "I didn't think you even knew a game was happening!" She said, "Oh, believe me, I knew." Which (full circle) takes us right back to that nifty article about the SU/Duke game being more than just a game. It was a happening! And it took people up into another dimension and they're still talking about it.

It was a happening! And it took people up into another dimension and they're still talking about it.
The notion of having an ACC double header the day before the Super Bowl is a great idea. I am sure TV execs are looking at the numbers and planning on it for next year.
Everybody in the country was hoping for a great game last weekend and they got one: Duke vs. Syracuse at the Dome. You are right; it was more than a game, it was a happening.

I thought that was a GREAT article! You absolutely can't pay attention to the comments section. It's a waste of precious brain space. The last time I was in North Carolina I saw a pick up truck sporting the bumper sticker THE SOUTH WAS RIGHT. People come from many different perspectives in this great country of ours. Occasionally, that will make me twitch. Sometimes more than occasionally. That's why I love Syracuse basketball. We can all unite around a common love and loyalty. And it distracts us from the problems of this world, and that's not a bad thing.

BTW, every single client I saw this week had seen the Duke/SU game. Every last one of them! Even the retired Emily Dickinson professor who spent most of her life in Mass. and never talked to me ONCE about basketball. It was the first thing out of her mouth: "How about that game Saturday night?" I said, "I didn't think you even knew a game was happening!" She said, "Oh, believe me, I knew." Which (full circle) takes us right back to that nifty article about the SU/Duke game being more than just a game. It was a happening! And it took people up into another dimension and they're still talking about it.
It is a logical conclusion that the South did have the right to secede. I have read the Lincoln Douglas debates and both sides made good points. When the Constitution was signed the States had recently dissolved the Articles of Confederation. Given that context, it is a reasonable assumption that no state would have signed on to the Constitution if they thought it was a one way street. Many prominent leaders, such as John Paine, were opposed to the Constitution on the grounds that regardless of the protections provided to individual freedom, once a Federal gvt was established it would metastisize. The State ratification elections were close enough that ratification would probably have failed if entry were one way. As a post script, the Civil War, in addition to freeing the slaves, initiated the ever weakening of States rights and forever rebalanced the locus of government power. State rights are the essence of Constitution design to protect against an encroaching centralized government.

Perhaps the bumper sticker you referenced was racist, or perhaps it was a rationale analysis of political philosophy. If it was a brush painted hillbilly hot rod I'd go was racism, but otherwise I would not jump to a deviant conclusion.

Duke - North Carolina, Louisville- Syracuse, the perfect start for the addition of our 4th HOF coach to the ACC.

Half the country thinks Syracuse is somewhere on the Upper West Side. Whenever I am out of state and tell people I am a New Yorker they assume NYC. Trying to explain doesn't help.
I live in extreme southern CT, and when I tell people I am a New Yorker and/or from New York, that is even more confusing to them. (For those who do not know, Southern Fairfield County is a NYC suburb and totally NYC-oriented. We get NYC media... and think Albany - rather than Hartford- is our state capital).

Last edited:
It is a logical conclusion that the South did have the right to secede. I have read the Lincoln Douglas debates and both sides made good points. When the Constitution was signed the States had recently dissolved the Articles of Confederation. Given that context, it is a reasonable assumption that no state would have signed on to the Constitution if they thought it was a one way street. Many prominent leaders, such as John Paine, were opposed to the Constitution on the grounds that regardless of the protections provided to individual freedom, once a Federal gvt was established it would metastisize. The State ratification elections were close enough that ratification would probably have failed if entry were one way. As a post script, the Civil War, in addition to freeing the slaves, initiated the ever weakening of States rights and forever rebalanced the locus of government power. State rights are the essence of Constitution design to protect against an encroaching centralized government.

Perhaps the bumper sticker you referenced was racist, or perhaps it was a rationale analysis of political philosophy. If it was a brush painted hillbilly hot rod I'd go was racism, but otherwise I would not jump to a deviant conclusion.
I knew in my heart of hearts that Alaska was going to comment in this thread, and that he would deliver.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing in the Constitution that gives the right to secede, it was made very clear, and states still joined anyways. In the words of Akhil Reed Amar:
In dramatic contrast to Article VII–whose unanimity rule that no state can bind another confirms the sovereignty of each state prior to 1787 –Article V does not permit a single state convention to modify the federal Constitution for itself. Moreover, it makes clear that a state may be bound by a federal constitutional amendment even if that state votes against the amendment in a properly convened state convention. And this rule is flatly inconsistent with the idea that states remain sovereign after joining the Constitution, even if they were sovereign before joining it. Thus, ratification of the Constitution itself marked the moment when previously sovereign states gave up their sovereignty and legal independence.

I think he means that the ACC has given a liberal interpretation of what it means to be a southern conference by deciding that we're ok because we're south of Canada.