"Likes" have ruined the board | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"Likes" have ruined the board

i wish we had a virus icon where we could remotely disable other users computers entirely.

Dr._Evil_(Austin_Powers).png

Interesting statement. A bit unexpected from you, albanycuse. Are you saying the board has become superficial? I don't know that I agree. I think the like button is a quick way of saying "right on" (just outed my age there!) rather than posting a response that adds nothing to the substance of the discussion. Nevertheless, I hope you continue to speak your mind, even if people don't understand or mock you. This board requires a good sense of humor as ribbing a poster is a common response.

qdawgg said:
This is why I stay away from the BB board.
Please dawgg. We dont have the mentality that the one board is better than the other like some people on the fball side do. You dont post on this side because you dont care too and love fball side much more. Are you even a bball fan?

I think "likes" are great, when they aren't abused. Easy way to say you are agreeing with someone or that you enjoy what they've just posted. The "trolling for likes" threads are kinda silly and superficial, but still participate in them in a playful manner.

End of the day, good posters should be rewarded for a solid post, whether that post is informative, funny or blunt. I'd rather have someone simply click the "like" button if they like a post versus posting a simple "great post" message. The latter just adds clutter while you're trying to scan through a thick thread.

Overall, it's a cool feature added since the scoot days.

Just my $0.02.

I am pushing for a 1:1 post to like ratio, help me get there! I think I would have been there already, except in my foolish early syracusefan.com days I posted in the game threads instead of the chat room. That is a post to like ratio killer!

I am pushing for a 1:1 post to like ratio, help me get there! I think I would have been there already, except in my foolish early syracusefan.com days I posted in the game threads instead of the chat room. That is a post to like ratio killer!

I like likes, they are kinda like candy, or anything else that can be addicting. I gave you the first like per your request, but beyond that this is a job for Tee. That crazy mofo is like Dick Vitale or Jesus, and if you ask something sincerely and are in good favor, you can witness the AK-47-like rapid fire action of a man on a mission. I can bear witness to this based on my own very recent similar lamentation. Should his health ever fail, I don't think he'd necessarily need to rely on socialized healthcare due to all the folks he has cheered up in his own way. On an unrelated note, I can get lost just staring at that .gif in your signature.

Last edited:
Yes, god knows people liking a post is the bane of our existence.

Speaking of, "When you make a high quality post, then you have my permission to like." That should be our new motto!

Interesting statement. A bit unexpected from you, albanycuse. Are you saying the board has become superficial? I don't know that I agree. I think the like button is a quick way of saying "right on" (just outed my age there!) rather than posting a response that adds nothing to the substance of the discussion. Nevertheless, I hope you continue to speak your mind, even if people don't understand or mock you. This board requires a good sense of humor as ribbing a poster is a common response.

Groovy post. Later, babe.

As I'd said in a previous post, getting ready of 'likes' (or posbangs as they called them) has destroyed the MGoBlog board. Obviously there was same type of whoring out for them, but it really did provide some sort of incentive for good posts and encouraged an actual congenial atmosphere. It was replaced with a rating system where you could rate everyone's posts and with so many negative ratings the post would be hidden.

This basically just inspired a groupthink environment where anyone that posted something that disagreed with the majority of the board would get hidden. It's one of the reasons I stopped even going there. I posted a perspective on the SU-UofM Final Four game last year and it was brutal.

It's gotten so bad to the point that Brian Cook, the site's owner, flipped out in spectacular fashion after the Ohio State game about the board.

mgoblog ‏@mgoblog
This whole season has been 50% nightmare team, 50% nightmare community. I can fix half of that.

As I'd said in a previous post, getting ready of 'likes' (or posbangs as they called them) has destroyed the MGoBlog board. Obviously there was same type of whoring out for them, but it really did provide some sort of incentive for good posts and encouraged an actual congenial atmosphere. It was replaced with a rating system where you could rate everyone's posts and with so many negative ratings the post would be hidden.

This basically just inspired a groupthink environment where anyone that posted something that disagreed with the majority of the board would get hidden. It's one of the reasons I stopped even going there. I posted a perspective on the SU-UofM Final Four game last year and it was brutal.

It's gotten so bad to the point that Brian Cook, the site's owner, flipped out in spectacular fashion after the Ohio State game about the board.

mgoblog ‏@mgoblog
This whole season has been 50% nightmare team, 50% nightmare community. I can fix half of that.
Wow, that's interesting. I wondered what a "Don't Like" button would be like on this board. Never thought of the consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom