Lincoln Riley for Offensive Coordinator

PhatOrange

Living Legend
He's OC/QB coach at East Carolina.

Age 29 years old

2010-present OC (East Carolina)
2008-2009 Inside WR coach (Texas Tech)
2007 WR coach (Texas Tech)

Tutored under Mike Leach and Dana Holgorsen at Texas Tech.

I’m not going to break down the offensive stats but here’s some of the numbers. They bury anything Hackett's done here and while Syracuse put up 6,100 yards in it's most prolific year ever this season, East Carolina still scored more points and only passed for 200 yards less.

Total Offense

2012 –
Total Yards 5311
Scoring 409 / avg
Pass 3551 / avg 273

2011 –
Total Yards 4742
Scoring 315 / avg
Pass 3433 / avg 286

2010 –
Total Yards 5689
Scoring 478 / avg
Pass 4143 / avg 318.7

Losing Hackett ain't the be all end all.

Love this type of profile, but I wish we could find someone with some ties to our recruiting territories - NE and FLA.

Love this type of profile, but I wish we could find someone with some ties to our recruiting territories - NE and FLA.

Correct. Its more than just putting up stats.

I'm impressed with some of you posters that look under all the hoods and find coaches that could potentially coach at SU.

Has SS officially been hired so he can make the call?

He's been coaching in ACC territory for 3 years and I believe he recruits the mid southern area, Florida and Texas for them right now.

We'll still have other staff openings and I'd suggest maybe hiring Cristobal as the Recruiting Coordinator/TE coach.

and as far as I know he runs a spread. Not sure if it's no huddle but I believe it's by and large the Leach/Holgorsen offense. Whats not to love, we're moving to a fast conference and we play on turf.

seems like perfect -- almost too perfect-- wont happen but would be thrilled by this profile --

and that's why gross won't ever call him.
Shafer will hire his own OC. Gross will be involved in the process but it is not his pick and not his job to reach out to coordinators. So knocking him on this is simply misguided. Especially since he has brought the entire athletic department into the modern age from the depths that Jake had left it by his leaving.

Riley gets credit as Michael Crabtree's position coach at Texas Tech.

Didn't know this but as interim OC for Texas Tech in the 2010 Alamo bowl against Michigan State, the Tech offense put up 579 yards against the Spartans. The was the 2nd highest output of the season.

I don't know about you guys but I still like Bobby Wilder out of ODU. I had the chance to read his Bio and have to say it's pretty decent. I do understand and share a lot of folks' sentiment about getting someone with a 'seasoned' recruiting background. But, I think this guys is worth taking a chance on.

Here is the link to his Bio:
http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wilder_bobby00.html

Either that,...or this is the GD's opportunity to make a 'splash'.

I just want a guy that has this offense moving the ball via air or ground and if a defense has a weakness he can ram it down their throats or throw it over their heads. As exciting as the TT or WV offenses were, they were too one dimensional and scoring 50 points against a team that can't stop the pass is nice but if we face a team that can stop the pass and not the run and we still continue to try to pass...that I do not want and the reverse is true as well when it comes to running the ball.

how about Lincoln Hayes?

Or Lincoln Rimes.

I like Riley's resume. Agree about the recruiting concerns. Of course, I don't know what recruiting connections Hackett had either. Maybe the other hire is the big recruiting guy.

Who was the OC at Stanford when Shafer was there?

Who was the OC at Stanford when Shafer was there?

david shaw, theyre current head coach. you can actually draw a lot of parallels to stanford and cuse, which is a good thing.

He's OC/QB coach at East Carolina.

Age 29 years old

2010-present OC (East Carolina)
2008-2009 Inside WR coach (Texas Tech)
2007 WR coach (Texas Tech)

Tutored under Mike Leach and Dana Holgorsen at Texas Tech.

I’m not going to break down the offensive stats but here’s some of the numbers. They bury anything Hackett's done here and while Syracuse put up 6,100 yards in it's most prolific year ever this season, East Carolina still scored more points and only passed for 200 yards less.

Total Offense

2012 –
Total Yards 5311
Scoring 409 / avg
Pass 3551 / avg 273

2011 –
Total Yards 4742
Scoring 315 / avg
Pass 3433 / avg 286

2010 –
Total Yards 5689
Scoring 478 / avg
Pass 4143 / avg 318.7

Losing Hackett ain't the be all end all.

Nice find.

Riley is indeed a Leach protegee and could be expected to design a pass happy offense spreading the field. Would that help Syracuse sell tickets? If so, it might be the way to go.

Nice find.
Nice background, this would be a clear upgrade for him and he should be affordable too.

He has been their OC the last 2 years. Here is how East Carolina has done statistically over that time period (and the 2 years before for comparison purposes).

He doesn't knock my socks off but not many do.

Scoring Offense
2009 62nd
2010 16th
2011 66th
2012 47th

Total Offense
2009 67th
2010 25th
2011 50th
2012 56th

Passing Offense
2009 58th
2010 8th
2011 20th
2012 36th

Rushing Offense
2009 56th
2010 99th
2011 105th
2012 90th

Looks like a nerd.

lincoln-rileyjpg-e29d084108e16310.jpg

If history is any indication, Shafer greatly prefers to hire those whom he's already worked with i.e. Morrison, Daost. Obviously feels more comfortable working with someone he knows, trusts, and believes in already, rather than hiring someone from the outside where it's a guessing game. So my guess is someone from the Stanford or Western Michigan tree, or any of his other coaching stops.

david shaw, theyre current head coach. you can actually draw a lot of parallels to stanford and cuse, which is a good thing.
Can you? Besides the head coach leaving and going to the NFL, what other parallel is there?

Can you? Besides the head coach leaving and going to the NFL, what other parallel is there?

well stanford is a private school. they fell off the map football wise for awhile. jim harbaugh was hired and quickly elevated them back to national prominence. he has a DC named scott shafer directing his defense. he left for the national football league after a short tenure and the AD went inside and hired a coordinator to replace him. that happened with marrone at syracuse and the guy who replaces him is scott shafer, who was on harbaugh's staff.

not saying were at where stanford was when harbaugh left, but those are some similarities. were worse off since stanford had luck coming back, but cuse has some decent players. we should be alright if one of the qb's is servicable and a few guys step up. guys like west could really break out as well as some of the young talent on defense. cupboards are NOT bare.

well stanford is a private school. they fell off the map football wise for awhile. jim harbaugh was hired and quickly elevated them back to national prominence. he has a DC named scott shafer directing his defense. he left for the national football league after a short tenure and the AD went inside and hired a coordinator to replace him. that happened with marrone at syracuse and the guy who replaces him is scott shafer, who was on harbaugh's staff.

not saying were at where stanford was when harbaugh left, but those are some similarities.
Right. National prominence. Meaning they were ranked in the top 25, had unbelievable recruiting classes, and a guy that happened to go #1 in the NFL draft. That QB also happened to still be there for Shaw's first year, which helped the transition greatly.

We have won a few games against ranked teams that got us 2 minutes on Sportscenter, have had average recruiting classes, and our QB is leaving now, leaving a lot of question marks for Shafer. There's a big difference between 12-1 and 8-5 in college football...