Listening to press conference. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Listening to press conference.

jekelish said:
You know what? The more I think about this the more it infuriates me. It's a sport, yes, and it's college, of course, so in the grand scheme of things it's not as important as terrorism and all of the world's problems, but... It's a freaking big business. There are a crap ton of people who rely on jobs in this industry and by putting a crap product on the field you're potentially hurting their job security, and that extends beyond just your assistants. There are people who could lose their freaking jobs if you get fired. Act like that matters.

Exactly. This isn't the same guy who said lock the gates. Maybe we should tell him that we'd rather do something more important than watch SU football..

Can we stop with the HCSS is hard nosed rubbish? Steve Addazio is hard nosed; our guy, not so much...
Sorry but that adaZzio "dudes" bit is AWESOME!

Did he really bring up ISIS? Did he forget ebola? How unfair is that?

Seriously. Football is a business. It is also a form of entertainment. It is meant for those moments that we want to forget that ISIS is chopping off heads. It is our moment of escape for the ills of the world. To bring this up in a press conference about a college football game is so not appropriate.

It's totally inappropriate. But it also sends a terrible message to the fans and the team. If college football and our product is not important, why the should the team...or its fans care? This might be a tipping point. I'm livid right now.

th

It's totally inappropriate. But it also sends a terrible message to the fans and the team. If college football and our product is not important, why the should the team...or its fans care? This might be a tipping point. I'm livid right now.
As bad as tonight was, and this season has been, I want him out but would give him the season to change my mind. After this nonsense, I want him gone now. Totally unacceptable. When you fail in your job, no one wants to hear about social problems, wouldn't work for a manager, salesman, supervisor and doesn't work for a freakin football coach making millions throughout the course of his contract.

Had our chance.
Yeah, I feel like that ship has sailed. We had a chance, and we also had his son - who transferred - and now he's at a rival that's on a better upward trajectory than we are...so I just can't fathom him coming here unless we throw a ton of money at him AND he just really views Syracuse as a step up.

JeremyCuse said:
Need Gross to show he has a pair and as soon as the BC game is over announce Shafer has been fired.

As upset as anyone, but let the season play out. Shafer will dig his own grave if he doesn't win.

As upset as anyone, but let the season play out. Shafer will dig his own grave if he doesn't win.
I agree with this, though I would not be remotely opposed to making a change to who calls the plays in the meantime, even if it's only a behind the scenes demotion for McD/promotion for Lester that doesn't get made public.

I think you can find clues that Shafer was getting a little shaky in the pants if you read some of the things he said in his weekly radio show the past couple of weeks. SWC posted it.

It's a little scary when he goes off the football track and gets all Maharishi Yogi.

It was great early on when Coach was firing us up with his" hard nose, lock the gates, beat the hell out of them" talk.

Problem is, they haven't been able to back it up and it just gets annoying to hear at this time.

He said about 5 times in the presser, "We're gonna work our asses off". You mean they weren't before???

No more talk, I want action.

Worst uni combo ever...

When we were in our midst of losing 5 yards from a shotgun handoff from the 1, then a reverse, then a double reverse pass drop, i actually started to think i was at a comedy, and those were our clown outfits. Then I realized this is happening in real life and got real sad for the rest of the game.

Need Gross to show he has a pair and as soon as the BC game is over announce Shafer has been fired.

I'm a huge fan of Gross, but my fear is that he gets far to chummy with some coaches. Q is terrible, decent recruiter but terrible coach, and he will never be fired. Afraid Shafer is in that category. No first hand knowledge, just a hunch so might be completely wrong. Only thing giving me any hope that he won't be afraid to pull the plug is the jack of extension after the bowl game.

Enough talk about replacing the OC, This crap starts with the HC. He's in over his head and we can't wait four years for him to grow into the role. If we don't want to only be know as a BB school a change needs to happen.

Here's what Nunes tweeted...this was Shafer's quote that's got people kind of scratching their heads:

BzEl4VICAAEyBM2.jpg:large

He's not wrong, mind you, but it seems like an odd quote for a postgame press conference.
he is in denial and using the real world unrelated to football to deflect the ineptitude of the staff. except for the dropped pass in the end zone, the offense is horrible and we all know the defense has for the most part done their job every game, but as usual they are on the field to long,the issue i have with them is they do not know how to tackle

I'm a huge fan of Gross, but my fear is that he gets far to chummy with some coaches. Q is terrible, decent recruiter but terrible coach, and he will never be fired. Afraid Shafer is in that category. No first hand knowledge, just a hunch so might be completely wrong. Only thing giving me any hope that he won't be afraid to pull the plug is the jack of extension after the bowl game.

Gross needs to go NOW. During his tenure, he has hired 3 football coaches and he didn't want FHCDM but was overruled by committee. And as 1 poster pointed out, only SU & 1 other P5 team have not been ranked in top 25 during Gross's tenure.

It starts at the top and it's starts with the clusterf$^k going on at SUAD. SUAD is so out of whack as a business its a total sham - start there with a proven AD that has proper priorities and strategies to foster business, community, university & student relationships. More importantly, we need an AD who knows how to hire a football coach.

Enough talk about replacing the OC, This crap starts with the HC. He's in over his head and we can't wait four years for him to grow into the role. If we don't want to only be know as a BB school a change needs to happen.

It starts with the AD. That may happen sooner than most think. Personally I am quite surprised Gross is still around given Syverud and him don't see eye to eye as their styles are so anti to each other. I believe it's a contract thing that Nancy built into it a golden parachute to protect him after she left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom