Looking Ahead......Long and Meandering...... | Syracusefan.com

Looking Ahead......Long and Meandering......

newmexicuse

All Conference
My frustration with how this season ended is far from gone. The loss, and the way we lost, was totally foreseeable. I was hammered by so many on this board for clamoring for Roberson and also saying that Buss and BJ deserved a look even in the midst of the 25 & 0 run that it made my head spin. The decline started before the first loss. This team lost it's mojo after the first Duke game and never got it back. The ND game was maybe the final turning point because Cooney lit it up and single handedly won that game, so if Jimmy needed any convincing that we had to keep riding the Trevor pony, that game was it. Maybe if Trevor did not have that game things might have opened up a tad more, but I doubt it.

The biggest question about next season is what will the roster look like ?

I think Grant comes back because I think his back issues will affect his draft status. Even wo back issues he really needs a year to develop both his game and his body. If he declared, I think he would go back third of the first round at best. He has too much upside to go prematurely and he certainly will have the proper family guidance to let him know when the time is right. I do not believe that that they will think that time is now.

Tyler is a much bigger question mark as to whether or not he returns. Yes, another season will help in terms of his physical maturity and the consistency of his outside shooting. But really, in terms of adding another dimension to his game I do not see where a year back would really help. If he has reason to believe that he will go in the lottery then I think he will be gonzo as he should be for his own sake.

The dirty T word - I think somebody will depart, but hopefully only one & not more than one. My best guess is that it will be BJ. I say this because this was a season that he should have shirted. Everybody knew that pre-season, and the fact that he did not take an obvious shirt tells me that he and/or his family is impatient. I think he will want to go somewhere where he has a very high likelihood that he will play early on. If he really loves the Cuse it is still not too late to take the shirt here, but either way I do not see him back as a part of next season's active roster.

The newbees - We add McCullough, Joseph, and Chino. We also get DC2 back. All three should or could be rotation players. Assuming I am correct on my roster assessment, Grant will start at one forward spot. The other will be a battle between Mac & Roberson. Since both are young players who will make mistakes in Jimmy's eye, I think they both will play significant minutes, though the minutes will diminish for one of them as the season progresses. That sets us up for a very nice forward rotation that will have even more length than we had this season.

The center position will belong to Rak. Last year I was hoping that DC2 would make a big to fairly big jump. His injury has set him back. Clearly that won't happen. Hopefully, he can just come back healthy and just gradually improve to a point of being serviceable against better foes. DC2's health will be a question mark, so I hope Jimmy will get Chino some run just in case DC2 doesn't hold up. Even in the world of Jimmy, Rak can't play all 40 minutes.

The guards - I will assume Ennis to be gone and the reigns handed over to Joesph. From all I hear this kid will be a player, but it is very unlikely that we get a repeat of the Ennis scenerio where he is the real deal from day one. There will be growing pains and there is nobody else to play the point. The good thing here is that Kaleb will probably grow as the season progresses so this give us an opportunity to actually be an improving team come March. The 2G position is much more tenuous. Obviously Cooney will start, but I hope Jimmy has learned a lesson and gives him a shorter leash. G should improve, but I do not see him as having the type of game where he will have "breakout" potential. His role should probably be similar to this season's role. We will definitely need another 3 point threat. If I am correct on my personnel analysis, that should open up a door of opportunity for Bus. He will have to show some stuff in practice or he will never get a chance. I hope the kid can it step up enough to get some opportunity minutes.

So my bottom line is this, we will have a lot of early questions. Our early season will obviously not be as successful as it was this season unless Ennis should happen to return.

We lose CJ, but if Jerami returns and improves we should actually be better overall at the F position.

At the C position, I would expect some more incremental improvement from Rak and I would like to think that between Coleman and Chino that we would not miss BMK too much.

At the guard position, Trevor will improve because he really can't play much worse. The question is how much he improves ??? I have said before and I say again, Trevor's game is too one dimensional, but he could be a perfect sixth man (yes, I know that won't happen at least until Malachi arrives). G has his role, and he appeared to be gradually improving his O as the season progressed. I would give him a shot at starting if Ennis leaves. If by some chance Ennis returns, then our best backcourt might well be Ennis and Joseph.

The coaching - you know it will be same old, same old. Jimmy is too stubborn and you know the rotation will tighten as the season progresses. We will see seven, maybe 7 1/2 when it counts.

My projected 7 1/2 will be - Rak, Grant, Roberson, McCullough, Joseph, Cooney, G, with DC2 or Chino as the half depending upon the state of DC2's health. I do not expect Bus to break into that "elite" group, but I hope he can at be viewed as a bit of lightning in the bottle off the bench and at least be viewed as an occasional spark - yeah, right.

Off hand, if TE leaves, I see Silent G, TC, Grant, Xmas and DC2. Reasons, Silent G has experience plus great length up front in the zone. TC because he is the incumbent. Xmas and DC2 combo because that is what was done for 1.5 years and Grant because he is the best talent on the court. Now this all sounds ridiculous and maybe it is but JB favors experience over talent by a huge margin. Joseph would have to be way ahead of the curve to supplant Silent G even though G hasn't shown much as a pg.

In reality, I think forecasting starting lineups now is on the stupid side with so many variables still in play. Who's coming back, who isn't. Who is eligible, who isn't. Then throw in how they actually perform in practice.

My frustration with how this season ended is far from gone. The loss, and the way we lost, was totally foreseeable. I was hammered by so many on this board for clamoring for Roberson and also saying that Buss and BJ deserved a look even in the midst of the 25 & 0 run that it made my head spin.

Not trying to pick a fight with you but these "I told you so" posts make me head hurt. If you feel strongly that the season would not have ended the way it did had we given the freshmen more minutes, than we see things very differently.

BJs father posts on here all the time, and seems to be a huge supporter of this program. He has never complained about BJs playing time. I don't think he leaves. I don't agree with what you said about family being impatient. You need to read the posts, even going late into the season. They bleed Orange. His father is really a super nice guy. If he does go, I only wish them the best as they have been a class act here.

SBU72 said:
Off hand, if TE leaves, I see Silent G, TC, Grant, Xmas and DC2. Reasons, Silent G has experience plus great length up front in the zone. TC because he is the incumbent. Xmas and DC2 combo because that is what was done for 1.5 years and Grant because he is the best talent on the court. Now this all sounds ridiculous and maybe it is but JB favors experience over talent by a huge margin. Joseph would have to be way ahead of the curve to supplant Silent G even though G hasn't shown much as a pg.

In reality, I think forecasting starting lineups now is on the stupid side with so many variables still in play. Who's coming back, who isn't. Who is eligible, who isn't. Then throw in how they actually perform in practice.

Joseph starts from day 1 if Ennis leaves. No way IMHO that JB would not start a true point guard at the position.

How could we possibly be better at forward next season? And I think you're way underestimating what BMK meant to us on D.

My frustration with how this season ended is far from gone. The loss, and the way we lost, was totally foreseeable. I was hammered by so many on this board for clamoring for Roberson and also saying that Buss and BJ deserved a look even in the midst of the 25 & 0 run that it made my head spin. The decline started before the first loss. This team lost it's mojo after the first Duke game and never got it back. The ND game was maybe the final turning point because Cooney lit it up and single handedly won that game, so if Jimmy needed any convincing that we had to keep riding the Trevor pony, that game was it. Maybe if Trevor did not have that game things might have opened up a tad more, but I doubt it.

The biggest question about next season is what will the roster look like ?

I think Grant comes back because I think his back issues will affect his draft status. Even wo back issues he really needs a year to develop both his game and his body. If he declared, I think he would go back third of the first round at best. He has too much upside to go prematurely and he certainly will have the proper family guidance to let him know when the time is right. I do not believe that that they will think that time is now.

Tyler is a much bigger question mark as to whether or not he returns. Yes, another season will help in terms of his physical maturity and the consistency of his outside shooting. But really, in terms of adding another dimension to his game I do not see where a year back would really help. If he has reason to believe that he will go in the lottery then I think he will be gonzo as he should be for his own sake.

The dirty T word - I think somebody will depart, but hopefully only one & not more than one. My best guess is that it will be BJ. I say this because this was a season that he should have shirted. Everybody knew that pre-season, and the fact that he did not take an obvious shirt tells me that he and/or his family is impatient. I think he will want to go somewhere where he has a very high likelihood that he will play early on. If he really loves the Cuse it is still not too late to take the shirt here, but either way I do not see him back as a part of next season's active roster.

The newbees - We add McCullough, Joseph, and Chino. We also get DC2 back. All three should or could be rotation players. Assuming I am correct on my roster assessment, Grant will start at one forward spot. The other will be a battle between Mac & Roberson. Since both are young players who will make mistakes in Jimmy's eye, I think they both will play significant minutes, though the minutes will diminish for one of them as the season progresses. That sets us up for a very nice forward rotation that will have even more length than we had this season.

The center position will belong to Rak. Last year I was hoping that DC2 would make a big to fairly big jump. His injury has set him back. Clearly that won't happen. Hopefully, he can just come back healthy and just gradually improve to a point of being serviceable against better foes. DC2's health will be a question mark, so I hope Jimmy will get Chino some run just in case DC2 doesn't hold up. Even in the world of Jimmy, Rak can't play all 40 minutes.

The guards - I will assume Ennis to be gone and the reigns handed over to Joesph. From all I hear this kid will be a player, but it is very unlikely that we get a repeat of the Ennis scenerio where he is the real deal from day one. There will be growing pains and there is nobody else to play the point. The good thing here is that Kaleb will probably grow as the season progresses so this give us an opportunity to actually be an improving team come March. The 2G position is much more tenuous. Obviously Cooney will start, but I hope Jimmy has learned a lesson and gives him a shorter leash. G should improve, but I do not see him as having the type of game where he will have "breakout" potential. His role should probably be similar to this season's role. We will definitely need another 3 point threat. If I am correct on my personnel analysis, that should open up a door of opportunity for Bus. He will have to show some stuff in practice or he will never get a chance. I hope the kid can it step up enough to get some opportunity minutes.

So my bottom line is this, we will have a lot of early questions. Our early season will obviously not be as successful as it was this season unless Ennis should happen to return.

We lose CJ, but if Jerami returns and improves we should actually be better overall at the F position.

At the C position, I would expect some more incremental improvement from Rak and I would like to think that between Coleman and Chino that we would not miss BMK too much.

At the guard position, Trevor will improve because he really can't play much worse. The question is how much he improves ??? I have said before and I say again, Trevor's game is too one dimensional, but he could be a perfect sixth man (yes, I know that won't happen at least until Malachi arrives). G has his role, and he appeared to be gradually improving his O as the season progressed. I would give him a shot at starting if Ennis leaves. If by some chance Ennis returns, then our best backcourt might well be Ennis and Joseph.

The coaching - you know it will be same old, same old. Jimmy is too stubborn and you know the rotation will tighten as the season progresses. We will see seven, maybe 7 1/2 when it counts.

My projected 7 1/2 will be - Rak, Grant, Roberson, McCullough, Joseph, Cooney, G, with DC2 or Chino as the half depending upon the state of DC2's health. I do not expect Bus to break into that "elite" group, but I hope he can at be viewed as a bit of lightning in the bottle off the bench and at least be viewed as an occasional spark - yeah, right.

Your Best Guess is wrong!!

Your Best Guess is wrong!!

Well, then that's settled I guess, haha.

Not often that a message board comment/prediction is quickly addressed by the person most responsible for the outcome...pretty cool in this instance!

(And not that I ever thought that situation would happen, but happy to get confirmation - very much looking forward to BJ contributing greatly to SU's future success.)

BJs father posts on here all the time, and seems to be a huge supporter of this program. He has never complained about BJs playing time. I don't think he leaves. I don't agree with what you said about family being impatient. You need to read the posts, even going late into the season. They bleed Orange. His father is really a super nice guy. If he does go, I only wish them the best as they have been a class act here.
I hope you are right, but he will do what is best for his son in the end. BJ is very young, if he stays he should shirt, as I doubt very much he would get much more PTnext season than he got this season.

I hope you are right, but he will do what is best for his son in the end. BJ is very young, if he stays he should shirt, as I doubt very much he would get much more PTnext season than he got this season.
No need to go back and forth with you but I do know more than you in this instance from creditable sources. The transferring/redshirting/impatient thing. Give it a rest!!!

How could we possibly be better at forward next season? And I think you're way underestimating what BMK meant to us on D.

If you get big improvement from both grant and Roberson, McCullough shows himself to be a future lottery pick, and you factor in that cuse would have 3 true forwards in the rotation rather than 2, it certainly is possible

We have the potential to be better at the guard position if Ennis returns, better at the forward position if grant returns, and better at the C position if obokoh can catch a pass.

If you get big improvement from both grant and Roberson, McCullough shows himself to be a future lottery pick, and you factor in that cuse would have 3 true forwards in the rotation rather than 2, it certainly is possible
You're trading a proven commodity like CJ with big if's. So that would mean Roberson and or McCullough is ready to replace CJ's numbers? Can't see it. McCullough will be getting yelled at for not being where he's supposed to in the zone and being yanked. Roberson's still a mystery. Grant will of course be better, so that side is an improvement.

We have the potential to be better at the guard position if Ennis returns, better at the forward position if grant returns, and better at the C position if obokoh can catch a pass.
Obokoh won't factor into next season, imo. And again, Coleman won't be half the defender BMK was backing up Xmas.

Ennis isn't coming back... Hopefully Joseph can step up... He is a completely different player... Hoping he can play faster because I can't deal another year with this extreme slow pace this team played at

The chances both Ennis and Grant come back are less than .01% The reality of college ball these days unfortunately. They would either have to be extraordinarily wise to stay or be a typical 20 something year old chasing money.

You're trading a proven commodity like CJ with big if's. So that would mean Roberson and or McCullough is ready to replace CJ's numbers? Can't see it. McCullough will be getting yelled at for not being where he's supposed to in the zone and being yanked. Roberson's still a mystery. Grant will of course be better, so that side is an improvement.

You are missing (or changing) the point a bit here. The discussion was not whether Cuse definitely WILL have better forwards next year, it is whether it is possible that they will. It certainly is possible that Grant/McCollough/Roberson 14-15 is better than Fair/Grant/No One 13-14. I think it will be close, but dont predict that. But your comment was that thats not even possible which is wrong.

jsshap said:
You are missing (or changing) the point a bit here. The discussion was not whether Cuse definitely WILL have better forwards next year, it is whether it is possible that they will. It certainly is possible that Grant/McCollough/Roberson 14-15 is better than Fair/Grant/No One 13-14. I think it will be close, but dont predict that. But your comment was that thats not even possible which is wrong.

I'll make the point. If Grant stays, 14-15 will be better than 13-14 at the forward spot. And that's not a knock on CJ.

First of all I used "big ifs", I changed nothing. Second I said I can't see it. That's my opinion. But thanks for telling me what I can and can't predict.

All I can say is that I hope the young kids including the ones that did not get a chance to play come in and shock the world next year. I love the way they support their team mates even if they are not playing, and I am pulling hard for them to show what they can do on the court given the chance.

I have to laugh a bit when you keep doubting what's going on with BJ and whether he will be back and if the family is impatient and yada yadda yadda, when BJ's dad is RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD telling you that your fears and doubts are completely without merit.

This isn't meant to be a shot, it's just kind of a hilarious dynamic playing out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom