Looking at Georgia Tech | Syracusefan.com

Looking at Georgia Tech

pearl31

in cahoots
They're a very poor shooting team. 43% field goals and 24% from 3. Their biggest guy goes 6'8" and their home games have included a loss to South Carolina Upstate and a one point win over Charlotte.
Come on boys, let's keep this rolling.

They're a very poor shooting team. 43% field goals and 24% from 3. Their biggest guy goes 6'8" and their home games have included a loss to South Carolina Upstate and a one point win over Charlotte.
Amen. Reading this board has taught me that good teams always crush overmatched opponents. Beating them by fewer than 20 points will be unacceptable and prove this team has no heart and will struggle to get to 16 wins.

This will be close to a Pick Em Game when the lines come out. Based on my calculation off KP (which Vegas lines generally align with), Syracuse is about a 0.5 point favourite.

Easy money ;)

You know, I try to watch our opponents play to gauge their potential play against us. Its been challenging for me to see how our opponents will play us. For example, VT played really poorly against WVU and they got their shorts handed to them - but WVU played in-your-face M2M and pressured them. We don't, and rarely, ever do this against opponents, only when we're down. This limits our D to force turnovers and get into our opponents heads. What we have done well in the past is execute the 2-3 zone well, but this year our 2-3 is not at the level it has been and it allows opponents to find the weaknesses/gaps and then adjust to them.

GT isn't a great shooting team, but Georges-Hunt is pretty darn good at driving and finishing at the rim. If our guards can keep him from driving into the paint we can limit their offense. I think we can rebound with them but I do think that Rak may get into foul trouble here as GT is aggressive here (Cox and Mitchell seem to crash the boards from what I've seen). As the 2-3 will often do, it will make our opponents take a bunch of outside shots and if we can face guard jump shots and don't allow them to hit 3PTers with any regularity we can defend them well. I think Rak should get his points and even get their inside players into foul trouble, which would benefit us on the boards as they will less likely be as aggressive.

Okay. That's my synopsis. And as I said from the first two sentences I'm just shooting snot outta the nose - you guys are better at analyzing the opposition but I'm trying to get a feel for this sort of analysis. Why? Because its fun, yo!

Amen. Reading this board has taught me that good teams always crush overmatched opponents. Beating them by fewer than 20 points will be unacceptable and prove this team has no heart and will struggle to get to 16 wins.
I am very happy to be here!
55767.jpg

To be fair, USC Upstate is a quality mid-major team this season with wins not only at GT but also vs Miss St as well as close loses at Maryland and at Memphis. They are the only team that scares me to keep FGCU out of the dance this year and a shot at Dunk City part 2.

Yeah but their 6'8" guys weigh 276 and 269 respectively, I don't see Cmac or Rak pushing them around for position.

Yeah but their 6'8" guys weigh 276 and 269 respectively, I don't see Cmac or Rak pushing them around for position.

Then I hope we get out and run, because there's no way they should be able to keep up with our bigs.

Sputtering offense in past games won't mean a thing against us. Mark it down, they'll shoot out of their socks from deep on Wednesday. The crowd will be off the hinges, home-cooking with the officiating, at least one player with a sub-5 point average will hit the 15 or 20 mark, etc, etc.

Our next step is to learn how to step on inferior team's throats in the second half.

Last edited:
Our next step is to learn how to step on team's throats.

^^^ Surely needed, but hard to instill when the coach is a notorious clock watcher and prefers to eek out a 4-point win if given an 85% chance instead of keeping on the gas. For such a supposed "highly competitive" guy who "hates to lose", I have never understood JAB's thinking here.

^^^ Surely needed, but hard to instill when the coach is a notorious clock watcher and prefers to eek out a 4-point win if given an 85% chance instead of keeping on the gas. For such a supposed "highly competitive" guy who "hates to lose", I have never understood JAB's thinking here.
Well I do understand (and agree with) limiting possessions in the last 4 or 5 minutes. This pressures the opponent -- because you're denying them enough possessions to close the gap (it only works with a lead, obviously).

My issue is, with a first half lead, we have to come out and play aggressively down the stretch -- the same way that got us the lead in the first half. MG needs to drive, TC needs to drive, get the ball down low to Rak, let TR crash the offensive glass ... etc. We're certainly not "deep", but when we have superior athletes we should be able to match the other team's intensity level at the 30 or 35 minute mark, not just the 10 minute mark. That's the next step. We've shown we can take it to the house in the first half. Now it's time to come out just as hard in the second. We won't always have a big lead as the schedule gets tougher. And even against teams we should beat, there are going to be runs (especially on the road), TO's and the like. That's basketball. But in games we should win, coming out flat or playing tentatively after half time invites the other team to pressure us and drive the lane. The Refs are happy to whistle us out of the game; while the other team gains confidence and plays above it's talent level. This was the recipe in the V-Tech and Nova games. Neither should have been close.

Last edited:
Watched half of the GT-ND game last night...
Mitchell is a beast, especially on the offensive glass - reminds me a bit of Devonte Gardner (ugh), though not a great finisher - but we'll definitely have our hands full with him... and Georges Hunt is a good player, too - not a very good shooter but strong and adept at getting to the basket... Other than those two, nothing to really be concerned with (except, of course, for the anonymous dude that goes off from 3)
If SU plays solidly, with an acceptable number of TOs, they'll win.

We also know where that fools gold mantra of 'a win is a win' got us last year.

So when we are missing shots and struggling offensively we should shoot quicker down the stretch and give a team more opportunities to score. Does shooting quicker in a shot clock guarantee more success?

With the zone being so bad up top it doesn't really matter what these teams shoot on paper. If teams repeatedly get to comfortably step into threes due to poor rotations, late closeouts, etc. then they are going to make them.

With the zone being so bad up top it doesn't really matter what these teams shoot on paper. If teams repeatedly get to comfortably step into threes due to poor rotations, late closeouts, etc. then they are going to make them.
Top of the zone has been better of late, still getting better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom