Looking at the Schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at the Schedule

I wasn't. Better personnel? Absolutely. Easier schedule? You bet your sweet a$$.

But new systems have to be learned, and there are a couple spots where an injury could decimate us. I also think (as Go started this thread with), the OL needs some more reinforcement.

If it were my money, I'd bet the over, and pray for health.
Yep, as of the moment at least, we are in deep poop if McCord gets hurt, and if we don’t find a viable QB2 in the spring portal, that potential crushing problem will still be here

Sure but not betting it until right before season starts
I got you and admire your confidence. Lots of guys here have "bet" their mortgage/farm/pension/ranch when Vegas is "giving money away." We must have a lot of homeless guys by now.

6.5 seems like a reasonable number at this point in time given the variables - our roster and the roster of the teams we play could change a lot before 1st game. Then there is the wild card of how this new staff with a first time time HC will gel. It will interesting to see if that line moves as the season approaches.

The 6.5 is reflection of a new staff and first time HC. I get it
Wish we had Holy Cross, UNLV or UConn for games 2 and 3 instead of GT and Stanford in those spots. Would give them a little more time to work some things out. I still like the over though. But if we can get through GT and Stanford unscathed, which are both home games, it should be a very nice season.

Main factor regarding the season record is McCord needs to stay healthy.

The original intent of the post was an observation that this is a manageable schedule and it’s time to go all in and buy some more oline that can make an immediate impact.

that being said this schedule is 1998 redux with @NCSt, @BC, VT, Miami. Pitt is away vs here in 98.

delta’s, start with Ohio and GT at home vs Tenn and @Michigan to start. @Cal vs @WVU; HC, @UNLV, Stan, Uconn vs Cinci, Rutty, @Temple.

Stanford is 3-9, 3-9, 3-9, over the last for three seasons.

Uconn last 3, 3-9, 6-7, 1-11

Cal 6-7, 4-8, 5-7

UNLV. 9-5, 5-7, 2-10

Ohio 10-3, 10-4, 3-9 (The only time SU loses to the MAC is when Greg Robinson is coaching)

Not exactly the 1998 and 1997 national champions to start the year.

Relative to our program of late, we have a solid amount of talent. Combine with the doughy soft schedule and even with new coaches/systems it seems like it's not crazy to dream big.

If we don't hit the over on 6.5 it probably does mean one or both of McCord going down or the line not gelling happened.

Yeah Randall Cunningham is pretty old.
Jump Rope Jones has moved on to bigger and better things, we are getting Kenny Mayne at QB.

Definitely like the over on 6.5.

But for reasons well stated, 8 might be the most probable beat.

I see 8-4 with a real what just happened loss and an ohhh heck yeah win.

@unlv for the loss if we want to get technical.

I agree that this is Fran's Over/Under. If he gets 8 wins as a first year coach, we will get probably the best class we've ever had for 2025. If we only win 6, or less, then his sales pitch loses some luster. If we can win 8 or more games next year, then honestly the sky is the limit.

Can Fran and staff coach in game? To me that’s a known unknown. No one here knows this and that’s why the win spread is so low

We’ve had such atrocious in game management that I would hope and assume better than Dino but Vegas isn’t buying it yet

Can Fran and staff coach in game? To me that’s a known unknown. No one here knows this and that’s why the win spread is so low

We’ve had such atrocious in game management that I would hope and assume better than Dino but Vegas isn’t buying it yet

Don’t know but have heard some things

If what I heard is true, we will have no worries about X and Os by mid September

No one can actually say they no for sure. Getting a collective group together for the first time can have its challenges. We will see.

Don’t know but have heard some things

If what I heard is true, we will have no worries about X and Os by mid September
I'm not close to the program but like hearing that. and if that is true, then those with a balance sheet should be putting on a nice position in Syracuse over win total.

I am on record as saying this feels like year 1 of Pasqualoni. i'm just going on gut but the stars align that we'll be very very good this year. Coach P got out of the blocks as fast any HC ever. 10 wins, big bowl win. If Fran does that we'll need to seatbelt him to CNY

Let's be honest. Dino was awful at in-game decisions. We had so many penalties on our offensive lines under him. His clock management was awful.

The most important thing is can these guys game plan, and install their systems. If they can do that, then we are 2/3 of the way home.

Last edited:
Sluka couldn't find a bigger school than UNLV? I'd rather be playing someone else he almost took down BC by himself and was the best player on the field.

I'm not close to the program but like hearing that. and if that is true, then those with a balance sheet should be putting on a nice position in Syracuse over win total.

I am on record as saying this feels like year 1 of Pasqualoni. i'm just going on gut but the stars align that we'll be very very good this year. Coach P got out of the blocks as fast any HC ever. 10 wins, big bowl win. If Fran does that we'll need to seatbelt him to CNY
Yeah cause Coach P had Coach Mac players and it would have taken an act of god to screw it up. Coach P did screw it up when he had crazy talent in 98 and we lost 4 games. Nice season but should have been much more.

Last edited:
Take the OVER.

With the amount of talent on hand, plus the easy schedule, I hope this team wins at least 8 games. The only big concern is that we don't have the cupcakes all in a row early to build up the team and get the kinks out. We have Georgia Tech week two and then Stanford, before getting back to Holy Cross and UNLV in our first road game, in week 5. Hopefully that first solid month at home helps give us some leeway for everybody to get their feet on the ground.

Let's be honest. Dino was awful at in-game decisions. We had so many penalties on our offensive lines under him. His clock management was awful.

The most important thing is can these guys game plan, and install their systems. If they can do that, then we are 2/3 of the way home.
Pretty much a given that Fran and staff will be better at in-game decisions than Babers et al.

Yeah exactly. How often did you see Georgia get penalized on the simple things. Hardly ever. I expect some serious discipline on the “easy” stuff like false starts. Felt like those penalties lost games year after year. I know I will be betting the over. Can’t bet the farm bc if McCord gets hurt, then we will be in trouble

With the amount of talent on hand, plus the easy schedule, I hope this team wins at least 8 games. The only big concern is that we don't have the cupcakes all in a row early to build up the team and get the kinks out. We have Georgia Tech week two and then Stanford, before getting back to Holy Cross and UNLV in our first road game, in week 5. Hopefully that first solid month at home helps give us some leeway for everybody to get their feet on the ground.
I’m glad they are not early. It helps when some easier games are sprinkled in during the season. It limits losing streaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom