Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC

Most Bills fans I know were very surprised he opted out and in some cases shocked. Most of them wanted him to return. I can't speak for Millhouse or others on this board but I definitely wanted him back especially after a 9-7 season with a win over Green Bay and near wins over Denver and New England.
Just because no one misses him doesn't mean people wanted him fired. I think most bills fans thought, "whatever, see ya"

Most Bills fans I know were very surprised he opted out and in some cases shocked. Most of them wanted him to return. I can't speak for Millhouse or others on this board but I definitely wanted him back especially after a 9-7 season with a win over Green Bay and near wins over Denver and New England.

Agreed. Cousin in law is a multi-generation Bills season ticket holder. They had their gripes / issues with him, but given the drought their consensus is that he should have been brought back.

He burned bridges, no doubt. Tough situation, but I think Bills fans are more objective than some of our posters about Marrone.

Are you sure there was a deduction. He wasn't fired, it was an opt out bonus/severence.

Yeah you guys are right. What a horrible contract (from the Bills perspective).

The great thing about the honeymoon period for a newly hired coach is that I couldn't give a what the prior coaches are doing.

Agreed. Cousin in law is a multi-generation Bills season ticket holder. They had their gripes / issues with him, but given the drought their consensus is that he should have been brought back.

He burned bridges, no doubt. Tough situation, but I think Bills fans are more objective than some of our posters about Marrone.
He is an alumni , part of the tribe , it's not rational . Alma Matar literaly means Soul Mother.

Two games under .5oo, that's one hell of an upgrade.

Enjoy the next five years of ground and pound, you deserve it.
Last year's 8-7 record was a fluke. Schwartz happened to be available and did well but it helped that the defense went through the entire season completely healthy, which is unheard of in this league. Despite that they were three missed FG's from the Lions and a 4th and 20 conversion against the Vikings away from being 6-9. The offense was horrible and is significantly better this year.

Marrone leaving was actually brilliant because 8-7 was the best he was ever going to do without a legend at quarterback. Which means it had to be his agent's call.

Marrone better hope there's (a) a great defensive coordinator available if he ever gets another opportunity, or (b) a true franchise quarterback already there. Otherwise he will fail.

orangenirvana said:
Last year's 8-7 record was a fluke. Schwartz happened to be available and did well but it helped that the defense went through the entire season completely healthy, which is unheard of in this league. Despite that they were three missed FG's from the Lions and a 4th and 20 conversion against the Vikings away from being 6-9. The offense was horrible and is significantly better this year. Marrone leaving was actually brilliant because 8-7 was the best he was ever going to do without a legend at quarterback. Which means it had to be his agent's call. Marrone better hope there's (a) a great defensive coordinator available if he ever gets another opportunity, or (b) a true franchise quarterback already there. Otherwise he will fail.

You just described every head coach in the NFL, save 3-4.

Last year's 8-7 record was a fluke. Schwartz happened to be available and did well but it helped that the defense went through the entire season completely healthy, which is unheard of in this league. Despite that they were three missed FG's from the Lions and a 4th and 20 conversion against the Vikings away from being 6-9. The offense was horrible and is significantly better this year.

Marrone leaving was actually brilliant because 8-7 was the best he was ever going to do without a legend at quarterback. Which means it had to be his agent's call.

Marrone better hope there's (a) a great defensive coordinator available if he ever gets another opportunity, or (b) a true franchise quarterback already there. Otherwise he will fail.
marrone's a better defensive coordinator than rex ryan.

You're kidding yourself if you think that's the only difference.
the offense is better this year, the defense is a lot worse. ryan hasn't had a good defense in a long time. he fixed a defense that wasn't broken.

Prior to Rex, the bills were 2nd, 6th, 2nd, and 6th in expected points contributed by the defense. Now they're 19th

The jets are 3rd this year. Prior to that, they were 26th, 14th, 26th, and 14th.

Ryan is not that good.

Rex Ryan thinking Mario Williams should be a DE/LB and have coverage responsibility a little time was dumb. Leave the guy where he can excel.

Doug Marrone would have the Bills better than 6-8 right now. The Bills skill position players outside of QB are better than NE's.
The Buffalo D should be a lot better. 0-3 against the NFC East is awful.

Marrone's agent and connections are going to get him another NFL HC chance.

the offense is better this year, the defense is a lot worse. ryan hasn't had a good defense in a long time. he fixed a defense that wasn't broken.

Prior to Rex, the bills were 2nd, 6th, 2nd, and 6th in expected points contributed by the defense. Now they're 19th

The jets are 3rd this year. Prior to that, they were 26th, 14th, 26th, and 14th.

Ryan is not that good.
Rex was coaching without a secondary in 2014. The Jets' front office decided to tank then went on a huge spending spree as soon as they fired Rex. That may have a tad to do with the Jets' improvement.

Rex and his staff bludgeoned the Bills defense this year - it's hard to deny that. But I'm not going to say he's "not that good" because of this one season. He's accomplished a lot as a defensive coach in his career (much more than Marrone as an offensive coach) and history tells us that it's pretty much impossible to maintain a dominant defense longer than a few years because of injuries and turnover. Rex's Jets finished in the Top 10 in expected points four straight seasons (after finishing 24, 29, and 11 under Mangini). That's quite an accomplishment in the modern day NFL.

Rex has a specific system and if he has the right players for that system he will thrive. If he doesn't have the right players for that system then he has trouble adjusting to their skill sets. That much is obvious.

The coaches that never get fired are those who great quarterbacks. That's the way of the NFL world. Rex had Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith for crying out loud.

Rex Ryan thinking Mario Williams should be a DE/LB and have coverage responsibility a little time was dumb. Leave the guy where he can excel.

Doug Marrone would have the Bills better than 6-8 right now. The Bills skill position players outside of QB are better than NE's.
The Buffalo D should be a lot better. 0-3 against the NFC East is awful.

Marrone's agent and connections are going to get him another NFL HC chance.
Mario is a good player who people expect to be a great player and is paid more than Tom Brady. He's also a huge baby. See ya.

I don't agree that Marrone would have the Bills at better than 6-8. The defense would be better but the offense would be worse. It's a wash at best.

Rex Ryan is the most over inflated and hyped coach in the NFL. And, it's no secret, that it's because he wins press conferences.

he's 52-58 and has never done anything more than stumble into two AFC Championships with the best defense in the NFL. He's literally washed away rosters since, never showing an ability to recognize and develop his own talent.

If you can't see talent, and you cant coach up talent, only a matter of time before it comes out in the wash.

Rex Ryan is the most over inflated and hyped coach in the NFL. And, it's no secret, that it's because he wins press conferences.

he's 52-58 and has never done anything more than stumble into two AFC Championships with the best defense in the NFL. He's literally washed away rosters since, never showing an ability to recognize and develop his own talent.

If you can't see talent, and you cant coach up talent, only a matter of time before it comes out in the wash.
Pegula comes out guns blazing and ends up paying guys a lot of money to not play. Ehrhoff and Leino with the Sabres, Ryan with the Bills. I suspect that Ryan will get another year to get it right. If they miss the playoffs last year, Pegula will just pay him to go away.

How many football coaches living or dead would have accomplished more with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith as their quarterbacks?

I'm not even saying Rex is great. I'm just saying - if you have no quarterback, you have no chance. At least Rex showed for a while that he can elevate a defense. This year he's at least showing that he can do something with an offense despite having another quarterback with flaws.

Mario is a good player who people expect to be a great player and is paid more than Tom Brady. He's also a huge baby. See ya.

I don't agree that Marrone would have the Bills at better than 6-8. The defense would be better but the offense would be worse. It's a wash at best.
Why would the offense be worse? Nobody knows who DM would have targeted at QB. McCoy/Williams at RB and Watkins/Woods/Hogan are still the WRs. Clay is still the TE.

Marrone would likely have the team better than 6-8. I think even Millhouse would admit this.

Why would the offense be worse? Nobody knows who DM would have targeted at QB. McCoy/Williams at RB and Watkins/Woods/Hogan are still the WRs. Clay is still the TE.

Marrone would likely have the team better than 6-8. I think even Millhouse would admit this.
I'm making an educated guess that the offense would be worse because the Bills offenses were terrible under Marrone even with a capable Kyle Orton at quarterback.

Here's Buffalo DVOA offensive efficiency rankings since 2010:

2010 (Gailey) - #26
2011 (Gailey) - #16
2012 (Gailey) - #20
2013 (Marrone) - #25
2014 (Marrone) - #26
2015 (Ryan) - #7

That drastic improvement isn't because they added Shady McCoy.

Millhouse can call Roman as many names as he wants but he schemes circles around Marrone when it comes to offense.

why are we discussing the OL coach of the jags??

the NFL doesnt hire quitters for top jobs.

if he had taylor and started him, yeah, I think so. their defense looks totally foolish this year. but who knows what he would've done at QB.

i still do think ryan is better than marrone but i don't think ryan is very good.

How many football coaches living or dead would have accomplished more with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith as their quarterbacks?

I'm not even saying Rex is great. I'm just saying - if you have no quarterback, you have no chance. At least Rex showed for a while that he can elevate a defense. This year he's at least showing that he can do something with an offense despite having another quarterback with flaws.
That argument can be turned right back around against Rex. Sanchez and Geno were HIS guys. For shat sakes he's got a Sanchez jersey tattooed on him.

He took Sanchez at the top of a very weak QB Draft Class. He did it because he was reaching. Then he did almost the exact same thing with Geno years later. Everybody in America knew that Geno was terrible, it's why he was billed as the top QB in that class and fell to the 2nd round. Rex then made him the starter when Sanchez got banged up.

Rex's QB struggles aren't an excuse for him.

The Bills offense is going because of Greg Roman, not because of Rex Ryan.