Looks like we were off by a year. | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we were off by a year.

Crusty

Living Legend
Many, including myself, OttoinGrotto and others, thought this year would be the year we turned everything around and it might have been but for youthful mistakes. While the year is not over, and we could still qualify for a bowl, 6-6 or even 7-6 was not what we had in mind.

2016 is looking real good. 8-5 or better with the buzz around a new dome should boost our recruiting up a notch and get us on a new trajectory.

Go Orangel

If we can establish ourselves defensively, along with the talent we're building on offense, 2016 could be a really fun year.

I know, I know..."It's always next year." But doesn't it feel accurate right now?

If we can establish ourselves defensively, along with the talent we're building on offense, 2016 could be a really fun year.

I know, I know..."It's always next year." But doesn't it feel accurate right now?
By season's end we should have a pretty good idea of what the D can be. They seem to be getting better.

The rest of this season can feel good if the D steps up and tackles. We saw improvement last week. Each week these kids crank up another notch and improve the overall product. The coaching staff appears to be making better decisions and adjustments.

I would not be surprised if we give FSU a run for their money, Louisville did.

jekelish said:
If we can establish ourselves defensively, along with the talent we're building on offense, 2016 could be a really fun year. I know, I know..."It's always next year." But doesn't it feel accurate right now?

People thought it was accurate those other years before next years. We'll see.

I agree that the future is bright. Just looking at the number of freshmen and sophomores playing in key roles, there is finally some reason for the rosy predictions in the future. I'm still a little hesitant to call next year the breakout year though due to how young and inexperienced the O-line will be. It's an often overlooked factor, but young O-lines rarely result in teams exceeding expectations.

By looking at the roster and contributors, I'm still pegging 2 years from now as the key year. It won't be FSU or Clemson good, but there's no reason we shouldn't be at that next level by then and make those guys know they were in a game against us.

Although, some short-sighted decisions or key injuries or losses could derail anything that far away.

I've decided 2015 still needs to be a good year. That means we get to bowl eligibility.

We've been so close in these losses. Ok, fine. Time to be close or better in three more wins. We've got 5 games on the schedule. Let's get it done.

I've decided 2015 still needs to be a good year. That means we get to bowl eligibility.

We've been so close in these losses. Ok, fine. Time to be close or better in three more wins. We've got 5 games on the schedule. Let's get it done.
Agree, my thought is still 6,8,10,10+ wins over ED's reign. When he is done we will be in the 8-11 win range rather than the 4-8 win range that were in now.

EDIT: win totals include bowl games and yes I think Shafer can get us there as recruiting keeps improving and he keeps making improvements to his staff

I hope the new dome will be ready for Dungey's junior year. Is that possible?

I will believe it when I see it. We've been awful - mediocre for too long for me to keep getting my hopes up and start planning for 8-10 win seasons. We have some nice young players but our talent is still bottom of the ACC. Until we can start beating someone besides Wake I'm a skeptic.

I will believe it when I see it. We've been awful - mediocre for too long for me to keep getting my hopes up and start planning for 8-10 win seasons. We have some nice young players but our talent is still bottom of the ACC. Until we can start beating someone besides Wake I'm a skeptic.
Disagree it is just younger talent. Besides, we have beaten BC, NCS and MN. Hang in there.

Statesman1 said:

Spot on. We are farther away than people think.

Disagree it is just younger talent. Besides, we have beaten BC, NCS and MN. Hang in there.
Not lately, our only ACC wins this year and last were against Wake. I agree our talent is young, but the sheer # of true freshman getting playing time speaks to the total lack of quality in front of them as much as it does to their ability. We need a quantum upgrade in talent and not just the gradual increase we have seen the last couple of classes, imo.

This is why losing recruits just doesn't even register with me as a reason to keep the coaches.

The level of talent is and will be mitigated by the lack of coaching acumen.

I think that we will beat nc state and bc this year. We might beat LV

Not lately, our only ACC wins this year and last were against Wake. I agree our talent is young, but the sheer # of true freshman getting playing time speaks to the total lack of quality in front of them as much as it does to their ability. We need a quantum upgrade in talent and not just the gradual increase we have seen the last couple of classes, imo.
I think that is what is happening.

Many, including myself, OttoinGrotto and others, thought this year would be the year we turned everything around and it might have been but for youthful mistakes. While the year is not over, and we could still qualify for a bowl, 6-6 or even 7-6 was not what we had in mind.

2016 is looking real good. 8-5 or better with the buzz around a new dome should boost our recruiting up a notch and get us on a new trajectory.

Go Orangel
Pass me what you are smoking.

Young does not mean good - it just means the upper class guys really suck.

The young defense gets run through every week. They cannot tackle, the secondary sucks and they get no pressure on the QB. But they are young!!!

Pass me what you are smoking.

Young does not mean good - it just means the upper class guys really suck.

The young defense gets run through every week. They cannot tackle, the secondary sucks and they get no pressure on the QB. But they are young!!!
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I know this is captain obvious stuff, but...

This team so desperately needs an upgrade in the secondary it's not even funny. I include the DB coach in that statement. I'm praying guys like Brinson and Bradshaw can step in and play next year.

kcsu said:
I think that we will beat nc state and bc this year. We might beat LV
Are you watching how NCST is playing Clemson?

Spot on. We are farther away than people think.

Good grief, yes!

The expectations on this board are incredible. We are way away from having all those first and second round draft choices that FSU trots out each year.

We have some nice players. Dungey is the best QB prospect we have had in decades, but he is still not really a very good passer.

Our probable upside in even the intermediate time frame is the second tier of the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom