Louisville game is huge. | Syracusefan.com

Louisville game is huge.

Crusty

Living Legend
We have enough talent to beat Louisville, stop the losing streak and maintain chances to redeem the season. This game might be the most important game this staff has coached here.

If we simply get beat by a better team, we won't like it, but it will be understandable. However, if we lose in the fourth quarter again with questionable coaching decisions, it will be add to the building scenario that coaching, not youth or talent, is the problem.

A good win can restore some confidence and rebuild hope. A bad loss will do the opposite. At some point we need to see some leadership and game management skills. We need to see something promising.

Crusty said:
We have enough talent to beat Louisville, stop the losing streak and maintain chances to redeem the season. This game might be the most important game this staff has coached here. If we simply get beat by a better team, we won't like it, but it will be understandable. However, if we lose in the fourth quarter again with questionable coaching decisions, it will be add to the building scenario that coaching, not youth or talent, is the problem. A good win can restore some confidence and rebuild hope. A bad loss will do the opposite. At some point we need to see some leadership and game management skills. We need to see something promising.

This game is winnable. Offense needs to catch fire for the whole game. (Listening to Dungey's interview about the two minute drill and the game slowing down when they go fast gave me some optimism about pace).

Defense needs to create some TO's. Limit damage and get off the field. Probably too much to ask them to patch every problem - but TO's and sacks can help even things out.

This game is winnable. Offense needs to catch fire for the whole game. (Listening to Dungey's interview about the two minute drill and the game slowing down when they go fast gave me some optimism about pace).

Defense needs to create some TO's. Limit damage and get off the field. Probably too much to ask them to patch every problem - but TO's and sacks can help even things out.

Didn't he say they have been practicing faster as well?

CUSU said:
Didn't he say they have been practicing faster as well?

I don't know - but I've been waiting for it. We drive down the field during two minute drills seemingly at will.

Crusty said:
We have enough talent to beat Louisville, stop the losing streak and maintain chances to redeem the season. This game might be the most important game this staff has coached here. If we simply get beat by a better team, we won't like it, but it will be understandable. However, if we lose in the fourth quarter again with questionable coaching decisions, it will be add to the building scenario that coaching, not youth or talent, is the problem. A good win can restore some confidence and rebuild hope. A bad loss will do the opposite. At some point we need to see some leadership and game management skills. We need to see something promising.
yea buddy there we go

I don't know - but I've been waiting for it. We drive down the field during two minute drills seemingly at will.

I think, but I'm not a genius here, it's because we shelve the "cute" plays we WANT to run with the RBs running away from the line, etc, and focus on the plays that will work.

That said, I've been amazed that those looping hand-offs have worked...I just don't think they're worth the negative plays they same to create.

just my $.02

We have enough talent to beat Louisville, stop the losing streak and maintain chances to redeem the season. This game might be the most important game this staff has coached here.

If we simply get beat by a better team, we won't like it, but it will be understandable. However, if we lose in the fourth quarter again with questionable coaching decisions, it will be add to the building scenario that coaching, not youth or talent, is the problem.

A good win can restore some confidence and rebuild hope. A bad loss will do the opposite. At some point we need to see some leadership and game management skills. We need to see something promising.

For my 1,600th post, as you state that this should be the most important game this staff will coach but as weak as my sources are these days I'm hearing it doesn't matter what happens here on out...CL has it right in the Dome renovation thread.

Anyway a win against UL closes the door on all this Shafer talk.

We just need to outscore them & put up a bunch of sustained drives thru all 4 quarters. Too many defensive breakdowns with a lack of coaching adjustments thus far to think the D is going to bring home a win.

Anyway a win against UL closes the door on all this Shafer talk.

I disagree.

A win of Louisville may turn down the heat, but it by no means would end the speculation. Winning 3 out of 4 to close out the season with a bowlgame would end the speculation. Short of that, I think Shafer is working on borrowed time.

44PRIDE said:
I disagree. A win of Louisville may turn down the heat, but it by no means would end the speculation. Winning 3 out of 4 to close out the season with a bowlgame would end the speculation. Short of that, I think Shafer is working on borrowed time.

Depends on where the speculation is coming from. I'd bet winning two quiets most of it everywhere but here.

Only a win vs #1 Clemson would change some opinions here. Maybe.

Depends on where the speculation is coming from. I'd bet winning two quiets most of it everywhere but here.

Only a win vs #1 Clemson would change some opinions here. Maybe.

5 wins is going to be the question mark. Two schools of thought on this:

1: At 5 wins, some will say (me included) this should've been a bowl team. But critical gaffes in coaching led to the losses (pitt/uva) that would've otherwise gotten us to a Bowl.
2: At 5 wins, others will say that we are on the cusp of something great. That we are a team of inexperienced, young players and need time to gel.

This is the end of year 3 for HCSS. For him to have any chance of success going forward, he needs to have some type of a 3+ year extension. This would show AD support, would give continuity to the program and reassure incoming recruits.

Question: Would you be willing to award a 3 year extension to a coach coming off a 3 win and 5 win season?

44PRIDE said:
5 wins is going to be the question mark. Two schools of thought on this: 1: At 5 wins, some will say (me included) this should've been a bowl team. But critical gaffes in coaching led to the losses (pitt/uva) that would've otherwise gotten us to a Bowl. 2: At 5 wins, others will say that we are on the cusp of something great. That we are a team of inexperienced, young players and need time to gel. This is the end of year 3 for HCSS. For him to have any chance of success going forward, he needs to have some type of a 3+ year extension. This would show AD support, would give continuity to the program and reassure incoming recruits. Question: Would you be willing to award a 3 year extension to a coach coming off a 3 win and 5 win season?

He's not getting that kind of extension. I'd make it a one year with a bunch of outs.

1: At 5 wins, some will say (me included) this should've been a bowl team. But critical gaffes in coaching led to the losses (pitt/uva) that would've otherwise gotten us to a Bowl.
2: At 5 wins, others will say that we are on the cusp of something great. That we are a team of inexperienced, young players and need time to gel.

This is the end of year 3 for HCSS. For him to have any chance of success going forward, he needs to have some type of a 3+ year extension. This would show AD support, would give continuity to the program and reassure incoming recruits.

Question: Would you be willing to award a 3 year extension to a coach coming off a 3 win and 5 win season?
No.

It is a game that can be won. So, lets win it!

But, it is an away game against a team that can be very physical.

We have been picked to lose by nearly two TDs.

So, there should be no reason for a massive melt down if what most think will happen, actually happens.

I have no inside information but I suspect that a decision on the coaching staff has already been made.

Yes, I don't know if anybody saw the ESPN piece on Bill McCartney of Colorado.

Check out how long it took him to develop that program.

Yes, I don't know if anybody saw the ESPN piece on Bill McCartney of Colorado.

Check out how long it took him to develop that program.
im now off the fire SS bandwagon.

all you guys who keep bringing up coaching job tenures and the 1 or 2 guys who didnt get fired and then had success from 30 years ago have shown me the light. lets pretend its 1981 and things are about to get really really cool here!!!...

hair_bands_9.jpg

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

all you guys who keep bringing up coaching job tenures and the 1 or 2 guys who didnt get fired and then had success from 30 years ago have shown me the light. lets pretend its 1981 and things are about to get really really cool here!!!...

hair_bands_9.jpg

And why was Caitlyn Jenner such big news?

He's not getting that kind of extension. I'd make it a one year with a bunch of outs.

But then why bother? A 1-year contract does nothing but undermine recruiting and ratchet up the pressure on delivering for 2016.

And what would he need to deliver 2016 to get a long term extension? What if he delivers a 6-6 season with a trip to the Mediocre Bowl in Podunk Iowa? Does he get a long term extension then...or just another 1-yr (with outs)?

My feeling is that at the end of this season, you either $h1t or get off the pot. We know who HCSS is as a coach. Either he's is your guy or he isn't.

Last edited:

I for one dispute the premise. Any extension would most likely come after year four in this case.

It is a game that can be won. So, lets win it!

But, it is an away game against a team that can be very physical.

We have been picked to lose by nearly two TDs.

So, there should be no reason for a massive melt down if what most think will happen, actually happens.

I have no inside information but I suspect that a decision on the coaching staff has already been made.
I don't think a decision has been made yet, but it might not be far off.

hair_bands_9.jpg

In fairness guys like Kirk Ferentz are good contemporary examples of how patience can pay off.

And as far as managing or administering athletic programs, Coach Mac, Frank Beamer, Bill McCartney, Mike K, and others serve as useful guide posts I think.

I guess the money is different now, but managing people and situations hasn't really changed all that much since 1981.

In fairness guys like Kirk Ferentz are good contemporary examples of how patience can pay off.

And as far as managing or administering athletic programs, Coach Mac, Frank Beamer, Bill McCartney, Mike K, and others serve as useful guide posts I think.

I guess the money is different now, but managing people and situations hasn't really changed all that much since 1981.

Kids didn't have de facto agents in 1981. Kids had crap and were told to deal.

Not today...

Kids didn't have de facto agents in 1981. Kids had crap and were told to deal.

Not today...

Interesting.

How do the HS player agents factor into coaches such as Kirk Ferentz or Scott Shafer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom