Louisville game is huge. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville game is huge.

In fairness guys like Kirk Ferentz are good contemporary examples of how patience can pay off.

And as far as managing or administering athletic programs, Coach Mac, Frank Beamer, Bill McCartney, Mike K, and others serve as useful guide posts I think.

I guess the money is different now, but managing people and situations hasn't really changed all that much since 1981.
fine, lets use Ferentz.

in his 3rd year he won the Alamo Bowl and finished with 7 wins in a 12 game total season (no d1aa to give him 8 wins).

in his 4th year he went undefeated...thats UNDEFEATED in the b1g and lost the Orange Bowl to Pete Carroll and Carson Palmer.

then in the following 12 years hes been to 10 bowls and has them undefeated overall, right now.

yeah, lets use him.

my kingdom to catch lightening in a bottle that is Ferentz.

Interesting.

How do the HS player agents factor into coaches such as Kirk Ferentz or Scott Shafer?

You know what I mean, parents, hangers on, certain coaches, etc...

Shaf told 2 kids they weren't worth it. Hard to say that when you don't win.

You know what I mean, parents, hangers on, certain coaches, etc...

Shaf told 2 kids they weren't worth it. Hard to say that when you don't win.

Yes, I'm familiar with the hangers on - they have been around for a long time.

Recall the BB street agent - Johnson? - who helped get Jim Boeheim in trouble years ago.

In the long run, maintaining an ethical program is more important and more effective than trying to win at all costs.

I have no problem with Shafer being careful in those situations - it isn't worth it.

fine, lets use Ferentz.

in his 3rd year he won the Alamo Bowl and finished with 7 wins in a 12 game total season (no d1aa to give him 8 wins).

in his 4th year he went undefeated...thats UNDEFEATED in the b1g and lost the Orange Bowl to Pete Carroll and Carson Palmer.

then in the following 12 years hes been to 10 bowls and has them undefeated overall, right now.

yeah, lets use him.

my kingdom to catch lightening in a bottle that is Ferentz.

His first two seasons he went 1-10 and 3-9.

And in 2006-07 he went 6-7 and 6-6.

And in 2011-12 he went 7-6 and 4-8.

And in 2013-14 he went 8-5 and 7-6.

So, he has had a lot of seasons that many would view as unacceptable in the Big 10.

And, yet, Iowa has shown a lot of patience with KF.

I think he's a good example.

Yes, I'm familiar with the hangers on - they have been around for a long time.

Recall the BB street agent - Johnson? - who helped get Jim Boeheim in trouble years ago.

In the long run, maintaining an ethical program is more important and more effective than trying to win at all costs.

I have no problem with Shafer being careful in those situations - it isn't worth it.

He isn't winning. Guys that win I am sure deal with a lot.

Speaking of hoops, they clearly have, and they win.

So, he has had a lot of seasons that many would view as unacceptable in the Big 10.

Hmmm.....
1-10, then 3-9, then 6-7. Versus 7-6, then 3-9, then 3 - ?. Something's different. Can't put my finger on it. (Sorry to be snarky. Ferentz and Shafer aren't comparable.)

im now off the fire SS bandwagon.

all you guys who keep bringing up coaching job tenures and the 1 or 2 guys who didnt get fired and then had success from 30 years ago have shown me the light. lets pretend its 1981 and things are about to get really really cool here!!!...

hair_bands_9.jpg

Look, I don't want nothing but a good time. I mean, how can I resist? So I ain't looking for nothing but a good time. And it don't get better than this.

This game determines if a bowl is still possible, because we can't expect to save the season by beating Clemson.

So... depending on Saturday, I'm ready to move on.

hes a good example of why P shouldve never been fired.

not for why SS shouldnt.

hes a good example of why P shouldve never been fired.

not for why SS shouldnt.

You are correct - it's certainly a good argument for why Pasqualoni should not have been fired.

But, I also think that in the long run, patience is something that works in these situations.

You are correct - it's certainly a good argument for why Pasqualoni should not have been fired.

But, I also think that in the long run, patience is something that works in these situations.
Look at Frank Spaziani. He was a career DC who was very loyal to the school he worked at BC. He served under 3 HCs as DC and when the last coach before him quit was given the HC job. First year they went to a bowl game, second year the same QB returned and they managed to get just get bowl eligible. Then year 3 it went down hill and year 4 was a disaster.
Coach Spaziani was a good DC but not a good HC. SS is our Coach Spaziani without being here as long. Keeping him another just delays the inevitable and kills interests in the program.

Look at Frank Spaziani. He was a career DC who was very loyal to the school he worked at BC. He served under 3 HCs as DC and when the last coach before him quit was given the HC job. First year they went to a bowl game, second year the same QB returned and they managed to get just get bowl eligible. Then year 3 it went down hill and year 4 was a disaster.
Coach Spaziani was a good DC but not a good HC. SS is our Coach Spaziani without being here as long. Keeping him another just delays the inevitable and kills interests in the program.

Maybe you're right.

But, I'm not convinced yet that Shafer is Spaziani.

And part of that is that the offense has gotten better due to changes that Shafer has made and part of it is that the best players on the team seem to be frosh and sophomores. That tells me that Shafer is having a positive effect on the overall talent level of the team.

I don't love the losses, obviously, but I have actually enjoyed this season a lot. The games have been fun.

And, I just happen to feel that Shafer deserves more time.

Maybe you're right.

But, I'm not convinced yet that Shafer is Spaziani.

And part of that is that the offense has gotten better due to changes that Shafer has made and part of it is that the best players on the team seem to be frosh and sophomores. That tells me that Shafer is having a positive effect on the overall talent level of the team.

I don't love the losses, obviously, but I have actually enjoyed this season a lot. The games have been fun.

And, I just happen to feel that Shafer deserves more time.
Although I disagree - I respect your opinion and post.

Depends on where the speculation is coming from. I'd bet winning two quiets most of it everywhere but here.

Only a win vs #1 Clemson would change some opinions here. Maybe.
3 out of 4 or get out.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee that if we don't win another game he's gone.

I do think we beat BC, but that's it.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee that if we don't win another game he's gone.

I do think we beat BC, but that's it.

They want Addazio's scalp as well.

LOL Addazio is not on the hot seat. They have gone bowling in each of his first two years. They had a top 35 recruiting class this past year. That class has a lot of young defensive talent and has done well this year.
BC has no QBs this year but the natives aren't calling for his scalp. Boston College has no fans in Boston. Boston is all Patriots right now.
If BC sucks next year maybe the heat might rise but Addazio isn't going anywhere now.

People on this board who's opinion I respect have said that this team is "close". And it's fair to say that with a few breaks we could have beaten both UVA and Pitt. So maybe that is true.

But this game has to be where we're not just close, but we win. Full stop, end of story.

Louisville is nothing special. They're a mediocre team in what is proving to be a largely mediocre conference. Their offense is lousy, statistically speaking. Their D is good, but not dominant. There are precious few college D's that can't be scored on these days, it's the nature of the game, as we all know.

So hopefully Shafer and Lester recognize reality. We are desperate. We need to go for it. We have tried to slow the game down and it hasn't worked. So play fast and play to win. Call the game with the kind of abandon we did when we played LSU. Play like you know your D will not help you all that much, because its likely that they won't. Reality, not theory. Go down swinging for Pete's sake.

We're relatively healthy for this point in the season. We're on our 4th road game, the experience should no longer be new or intimidating. There really aren't excuses if we lose on Saturday, other than that we're simply not good enough.

Big time college sports is about winning. All the other stuff is a side show, like it or not. Enough with youth and progress and all that. It's time to win.

Big time college sports is about winning. All the other stuff is a side show, like it or not. Enough with youth and progress and all that. It's time to win.
Agree!! There are no more moral victories for Shafer and SU.

Would you settle for 2-out-of-4 and a bowl appearance?
Chance of a bowl at 5-7 is about the same odds as being attacked by a grizzly bear and a polar bear on the same day in midtown Manhattan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom