Louisville self imposed ban | Syracusefan.com

Louisville self imposed ban

SBU72

All Conference
What do people here think about Pitino's idea that in cases like theirs, suspend the coach for the season, but don't hurt the current players. Let them participate in the tournaments. They work hard for it, deserve that chance and should not be penalized for things they had no part in. I think that has some validity. Also, maybe let the team play but only pay the expenses. This way the school gets fined and the coach gets his slap on the wrist for not being in absolute control (which is silly anyways!)

Allowing the team to play but not allowing the school to collect revenue from the tourney is probably the best solution.

Both the school and the coach have a responsibility to protect the interests their players. Removing that layer of responsibility only encourages cheating - or other inappropriate actions - by making the school & coach less accountable for their actions.

Create an NCAA rule that automatically defers any NCAA penalties and Self-Imposed Bans to the next year. (Or only announce Self Imposed Bans and NCAA penalties during April) Allow all recruits and upperclassmen to transfer before that next season with no penalty.

Protects the current seniors, gives options to upcoming seniors and juniors.

It stops schools from self imposing at a point which seems best for them.

Personally I think they should go back and make each one of the implicated players reimburse the school for the improper benefits they received.

Personally I think they should go back and make each one of the implicated players reimburse the school for the improper benefits they received.

Totally disagree. The benefits were granted to them at the team's choosing and were non cash. It is the team's fault, and now we are going to have the players who never received cash, have to pay cash. Not Fair.

Allowing the team to play but not allowing the school to collect revenue from the tourney is probably the best solution.

Kentucky's budget for cheating just shot way up under this scenario. No real consequences.

Create an NCAA rule that automatically defers any NCAA penalties and Self-Imposed Bans to the next year. (Or only announce Self Imposed Bans and NCAA penalties during April) Allow all recruits and upperclassmen to transfer before that next season with no penalty.

Protects the current seniors, gives options to upcoming seniors and juniors.

It stops schools from self imposing at a point which seems best for them.

If you are going to create such a rule, it should apply to all players. Why draw an arbitrary line that determines the only impact is to upperclassmen? Once you allow the upperclassmen to leave and put the team on probation, you are effectively cutting off the stream of recruits (replacement players). Now you've probably ensured that the underclassmen that stick around won't make the tournament in future years either. They should be free agents as well if you are making upperclassmen free agents.

Totally disagree. The benefits were granted to them at the team's choosing and were non cash. It is the team's fault, and now we are going to have the players who never received cash, have to pay cash. Not Fair.

Yeah, this was tongue in cheek. You aren't going to require them to reimburse the school for the cost of what was ultimately an illegal transaction made on their behalf (money paid to a prostitute).

If you are going to create such a rule, it should apply to all players. Why draw an arbitrary line that determines the only impact is to upperclassmen?

No problem.

It was basically applying to all players anyway except current year freshmen, which I unfairly abandoned.

Current Seniors could play in the tourney
Current Junior + Soph's, could transfer the next year
Recruits, could leave.

For UofL the fan base is all feeling sorry for the seniors and the grad transfers. Well, who's to blame here? We're talking about a self-imposed ban; obviously the only reason a school would do this is to lessen any subsequent NCAA punishment. So the school is trying to remain in control of the situation. I say the h_ll with that and propose that the NCAA ignore any school self-imposed penalties. Just hand the school the punishment appropriate for the crime. Once the punishment is doled out then allow incoming recruits to switch schools and let current players transfer per normal regulations.

I have always believed the post season ban punishment should be eliminated because the people punished most severely are almost always people who had nothing to do with the infraction. Namely the current players -- who usually were not even in school at the time of the crime -- and the fans. Make the punishment financial. Hit the school with a heavy fine that makes them feel pain and acts as a deterrent. Of course for schools with insane boosters like UK the fine would have to be doubled. Suspend the coach for a 1/2 to a full season if he was involved in the actual infraction. Take away future scholarships, recruiting trips, etc. which will impact the program's near term competitiveness which also serves as a deterrent. Stop punishing innocent players.

Not a fan of post season bans. March madness and one shining moments are the dream of most players. Don't take that from the kids.

I am for multimillion dollar penalties and coaching suspensions. Screw the adults not the kids.

Not a fan of post season bans. March madness and one shining moments are the dream of most players. Don't take that from the kids.

I am for multimillion dollar penalties and coaching suspensions.
I'm
Screw the adults not the kids.

The problem was caused by the screwing of the kids while they were being recruited. :p

The problem in this situation is the improper benefits were most likely given to several of the players on the current roster, so the argument that they're punishing players for something they didn't do, doesn't necessarily apply here.
They can suspend Pitino and every player that received the benefits. I'm not sure what kind of team will be left.

Pretty wimpy...

Still encourages cheating... what's the chance of getting caught?
If you do, another booster pays off the penalty.

This won't work.

I say the h_ll with that and propose that the NCAA ignore any school self-imposed penalties. Just hand the school the punishment appropriate for the crime. Once the punishment is doled out then allow incoming recruits to switch schools and let current players transfer per normal regulations.
Two things: 1) SU gamed the system (after a long investigation, and likely as part of negotiations), and set the precedent for Lousville; 2) the NCAA's slow processing of such cases means that a school will miss out on additional classes of incoming student-athletes. I know... too bad... I agree, but the NCAA needs to be a bit less slow in the handling of these cases.

one school was reacting to a 10 year thing not matter what they did players who got in trouble would not be held responsible. some players were taking a hit and its not like the whole team would transfer.